The Student Room Group

How do you EFFECTIVELY study for your subjects? (excluding Maths)?

My current revision techniques are OK but I don't feel like I retain the information for a long time after studying. I'm looking to make the things I revise memorable so that it doesn't feel random, just natural I guess.

Things I have already tried and why they don't work for me:

- past papers - the notes I make from the past papers are hard to align in the order of the specification so I don't like revising from them because it feels too random

- typing up my notes from class and from textbooks - takes too long and I lose focus, don't understand a thing, and end up revising from the textbook I got the notes from (yes, even if I make the notes my own words)

- passively reading textbooks - I lose focus when I read in my head, I get a headache hearing my own voice read out loud

So.........

IS THERE ANYTHING THAT WORKS?

Like, actually works

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolfslayer1

- passively reading textbooks - I lose focus when I read in my head, I get a headache hearing my own voice read out loud

Like, actually works

No wonder you don't retain any information :congrats::congrats:
Original post by theBranicAc
No wonder you don't retain any information :congrats::congrats:

Lol, I know that - I included that bit of info hoping that nobody would suggest for me to 'read and re-read'
This is the technique, I use for Physics. I have previously used this technique with success in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Whenever I sit to study, I take pen, paper, textbook/other sources, and start writing things which I need to learn/ memorize. This is not same as making notes for later, just put it in your brain as you write. Try to be as active as you can. If you are not self studying (i.e. studying at school/college) try to learn things as early as possible i.e. earlier than you are taught. The pleasing feeling you have when you know that you know things before hand is always motivating. I never bounded myself with syllabus of course of study. I was never strict to myself. Whenever I seat studying one topic, I usually end up studying something else without even realizing. The only problem I face applying this technique is EXAMS!!!!!. When exam is close, I attack past paper after past paper. If you feel like you can't answer anything, just look in your textbook, then only mark scheme.

I don't understand why people take endless notes for later study.
Original post by tangotangopapa2
This is the technique, I use for Physics. I have previously used this technique with success in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Whenever I sit to study, I take pen, paper, textbook/other sources, and start writing things which I need to learn/ memorize. This is not same as making notes for later, just put it in your brain as you write. Try to be as active as you can. If you are not self studying (i.e. studying at school/college) try to learn things as early as possible i.e. earlier than you are taught. The pleasing feeling you have when you know that you know things before hand is always motivating. I never bounded myself with syllabus of course of study. I was never strict to myself. Whenever I seat studying one topic, I usually end up studying something else without even realizing. The only problem I face applying this technique is EXAMS!!!!!. When exam is close, I attack past paper after past paper. If you feel like you can't answer anything, just look in your textbook, then only mark scheme.

I don't understand why people take endless notes for later study.

Thank you for your reply. The active studying thing still is a tad bit unclear to me though - like how did you memorise the things after writing them down? Did you just repeat them over and over, write them down in an interesting way or...? I'm taking Physics as well so will I be able to use this technique to learn every single bit of Physics?

Thanks again!
My current revision techniques are OK but I don't feel like I retain the information for a long time after studying. I'm looking to make the things I revise memorable so that it doesn't feel random, just natural I guess.

Things I have already tried and why they don't work for me:

- past papers - the notes I make from the past papers are hard to align in the order of the specification so I don't like revising from them because it feels too random

- typing up my notes from class and from textbooks - takes too long and I lose focus, don't understand a thing, and end up revising from the textbook I got the notes from (yes, even if I make the notes my own words)

So.........

Like, actually works

What subjects specifically? I would say it varies. For subjects such as Biology, that require more short answer questions and often repetition in the examinations, I would strongly advise looking at past papers. However, long essay subjects such as English or History would probably require a different approach; you could probably avoid doing past papers but I would still advise at least looking at some past questions!
Original post by gameofthrones1
What subjects specifically? I would say it varies. For subjects such as Biology, that require more short answer questions and often repetition in the examinations, I would strongly advise looking at past papers. However, long essay subjects such as English or History would probably require a different approach; you could probably avoid doing past papers but I would still advise at least looking at some past questions!

So I'm doing:
- maths
- further maths
- physics
- economics

And the subjects I'm most worried about are physics and economics only because I'm worried that my interest in the subjects won't be enough to actually make me remember the things I'm learning long-term

I plan to look at past papers in the period closer to the exams (so next year) but as for now I just want to know how to actually learn the content
Thank you for your reply. The active studying thing still is a tad bit unclear to me though - like how did you memorise the things after writing them down? Did you just repeat them over and over, write them down in an interesting way or...? I'm taking Physics as well so will I be able to use this technique to learn every single bit of Physics?

Thanks again!

I usually pretend like I am tutoring someone when I write things down and explaining to that person. Though it might sound a bit awkward at first but actually works well for me. Often time I criticize author for not being able to explain things in a clear way and I say "He could have better written this 'this way'. which makes sense, the author's explanation about surface tension is unjustifiable unless isothermal condition is assumed, which makes sense otherwise loss of energy would be too significant to ignore. " Try to play with equations as much as you can. For instant, say you have 5 suvat equations given in your text book, just derive some specific formulas based on those equations. If s = ut + 1/2 at^2 then it can also be written as s = vt - 1/2at^2 and so on. This improves your lateral thinking. I just write few interesting/important points and then play with them. This is the active learning I am talking about.
Original post by tangotangopapa2
I usually pretend like I am tutoring someone when I write things down and explaining to that person. Though it might sound a bit awkward at first but actually works well for me. Often time I criticize author for not being able to explain things in a clear way and I say "He could have better written this 'this way'. which makes sense, the author's explanation about surface tension is unjustifiable unless isothermal condition is assumed, which makes sense otherwise loss of energy would be too significant to ignore. " Try to play with equations as much as you can. For instant, say you have 5 suvat equations given in your text book, just derive some specific formulas based on those equations. If s = ut + 1/2 at^2 then it can also be written as s = vt - 1/2at^2 and so on. This improves your lateral thinking. I just write few interesting/important points and then play with them. This is the active learning I am talking about.

THANK YOU - very very helpful. You are a star
THANK YOU - very very helpful. You are a star

!!!No problem!!!. :d Thank you.

Good luck studying!!!!
So I'm doing:
- maths
- further maths
- physics
- economics

And the subjects I'm most worried about are physics and economics only because I'm worried that my interest in the subjects won't be enough to actually make me remember the things I'm learning long-term

I plan to look at past papers in the period closer to the exams (so next year) but as for now I just want to know how to actually learn the content

Okay I did all them subjects, I strongly recommend doing past papers for all of them. For economics, it is important to just make notes on all the content and do past paper questions, learning where to get the marks and you can even learn some extra facts that are useful to use. Obviously do past papers for maths haha
Original post by gameofthrones1
Okay I did all them subjects, I strongly recommend doing past papers for all of them. For economics, it is important to just make notes on all the content and do past paper questions, learning where to get the marks and you can even learn some extra facts that are useful to use. Obviously do past papers for maths haha

Thank you for your reply. Buttt I have a question: will past papers work even for the new specification A Levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you - the statement-to-question thing seems like a good way. I'll probably break down the requirements of the specification into a series of questions and make my notes from there, thanks (;
Memorise the text book like me.

You must start from the first day.
Original post by Kryptonian
Memorise the text book like me.

You must start from the first day.

I want to memorise the content

I struggle with memorising the content

textbook = content

You have suggested I memorise the content

HOW do you do memorise the content?
I want to memorise the content

I struggle with memorising the content

textbook = content

You have suggested I memorise the content

HOW do you do memorise the content?

Basically you get the text book on the first day. After you learned stuff in lesson just memorise the pages on that lesson. Just keep saying it in your mind then look away until you can recite it perfectly.
Original post by Kryptonian
Basically you get the text book on the first day. After you learned stuff in lesson just memorise the pages on that lesson. Just keep saying it in your mind then look away until you can recite it perfectly.

And this works for your long-term memory?
Just a general study tip but always study with a pen. I find I never learn unless I'm writing the stuff down. :smile:
Thank you for your reply. Buttt I have a question: will past papers work even for the new specification A Levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately I'm not actually familiar with the new specs but I didn't think Economics and Physics was changing too much? Obviously if the exam layout and content is completely different then obviously it's not worth it. Maths is staying the same though isn't it?
My all time best method for me was making all the topics from each unit (one at a time) as compact as possible (by that I mean avoiding writing sentences. Breaking things down) while writing out flash cards on them. At times I had 4 sides worth of info on two cards but that of course varied on the type of info and topic I was writing about. I learned a lot while just writing that out since it required me to constantly be reading through my course book, booklets + notes.

With such cards, you can then go to a friend, class mate or even your parents, ask them to question you on a certain unit or topic from that unit to see what you can talk about from memory so far. What you remember basically.

Another way was through doing timed essays (all my a levels were essay based) without notes or with a simple plan I made beforehand. I'd normally do those in class along with everyone else in the class and then our teacher marked them. If you're doing any a levels that are not essay (eg. Science subjects) based then do a timed past paper.

One of the most important things with revision is that you need to get feedback from teacher (unless they suck lol) on past papers/questions you did. Ask them for feedback even on the revision notes you have made as they might be able to tell if you if that's enough or If you're missing anything.

Quick Reply

Latest