The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
well, outside of london, based on current expenditure etc. including tuition fees, i reckon you get by on £7k a year (£3k fees, £1k/term rent, £330 a term food +living), provided you're careful. Four years of that would be £28k, five years, £35k, 6 years, £42K. You get about £4000 a year maintenance loan (varies on parents income), and your fees paid for you in year 5 (and 6), so you'd need to find at least 12k for a 5/6yr course yourself, ideally more so you could have a bit more freedom with your money.

So you'd owe the student loans company another £20-24k, on top of the £21-28k you owe from your first degree (if you're paying top up fees), and possibly a bank for the extra £12-15K.
Reply 21
ahh, thank you elle- i did try to send this to you- but you've got too many PMs.
Standard medicine in oxford seems a bit daunting, if you have to cover college fees yourself. Do you know what your friend's scholarship is called?
Reply 22
£330 a term on food & living? erm... the average term is what, 3 months say? i spend £20/week just on food (thats the least out of everyone i know at uni, apart from the vegetarians, and i still eat very well), so that would work out at £300 a term, leaving me with £30 for 'living' per term. For want of a better way to portray £30 a term, it translates into a bottle of magners a week, or 3 textbooks a year.

i think youd have to be very very careful to be able to stick to that.
I'm getting about £10,000 in one year from my LEA... so goodness knows what it'll be for me once I reach where you are Fluff..
Reply 24
Elles

I'm pretty sure there's a university wide scholarship for graduate students on the standard course (they do First BM & Second BM, skipping FHS in Med Sciences to complete in 5 years) & I have a friend in recipient of it! (first degree was MMaths at my college, now just done prelims in Medicine at another, inferior one :wink: )

This is only for senior students. To get that status as an 'outsider' is apparently near impossible...
Reply 25
what do you mean senior student? Would a BA (oxon.) suffice?
Reply 26
Senior student = graduate on a undergraduate programme who gets to skip a year... Inside qualifications (Oxon, Cantab and Trinity, Ire) are usually the only way...
Reply 27
What year would you skip? I'd have thought the first year would be pretty essential stuff, unless you did something like physiology maybe. Or do you miss the FHS year?
I ask because i'm an oxford undergrad at the moment, and it'd be nice to be able to continue here if i could, but i'm not eligable for the GEP programme, and having to do 6yrs, with college fees on top kinda put me off.
Reply 28
There used to be blurb on it on the Oxford med website...
Reply 29
thomasjtl
What year would you skip? I'd have thought the first year would be pretty essential stuff, unless you did something like physiology maybe. Or do you miss the FHS year?

I mentioned in the part Fluffy quoted! :wink:
"...for graduate students on the standard course (they do First BM & Second BM, skipping FHS in Med Sciences to complete in 5 years)..."
As you said, first year is basic preclinical, as is second year to make up the First BM = essential to continue on to clinicals. The 3rd year is where people choose different options & do random projects/dissertations to get an extra BA & study at FHS level - so missable if you have one.

Afraid all I know about it I mentioned first time - that there is something that exists! :p: Again, it's not something many people seem to do - though I know one person who completed a degree here & one who'll jump up to the year below me at my college. He has another form of scholarship I think related to where he's from...

Latest

Trending

Trending