The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham An Expensive Place To Live In *cast your votes*

Poll

Is Nottingham An Expensive Place To Live In?

I've been talking to several people and they say that Nottingham is an expensive place to live in, and hence a lot of wealthy people tend to go to the university because of it.

I found that a bit strange, so I put up this poll.

Comments and opinions are more than welcome :biggrin:.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In terms of student accommodation, its about the same price as most places.

In terms of food prices, same.

In terms of clothing. Its expensive, depending where you shop.

Nottingham is expensive, because its got great shops, and great nightlife = the erge to spend money. For me anyway. Haha.

I doubt it's as expensive as most bigger cities, I.E. Birmingham, Manchester, London.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
it's expensive if you choose to be expensive.
with the student discounts etc it can be relatively cheap.
it's an affordable place really, some really nice places etc. :smile:
Reply 3
How much do you guys spend monthly on average?
Reply 4
It's the same as anywhere else really.
If you want to spend a lot, you won't have trouble spending it. However, if you want to use your money more wisely then it's well within the norm.
Reply 5
What do you think is an average amount I should consider spending, being an international student?
Reply 6
depends. if you're going to be going out then it'll cost more than normal. budget about £40/week. if you check the notts uni website,it says how much an international student should spend.
Reply 7
I don't see it as expensive, but then again this coming from someone who's lived in the centre of London most of his life! It can be as expensive or as cheap as you like. Rents can vary for a house anywhere from £40pw - £100+pw depending what you're after.

Because Nottingham has such a large student population, lots of bars, clubs, restaurants etc will have offers on nights of the week to entice students in! For example, 241 on meals, cheap drinks offers etc etc. So if you shop around then you could get a really good deal. Of course, if you want to go to a classy venue every night you can, but it's going to cost!

I know people that can easily live of £30-40pw. Personally, for me it's about £60-80pw plus £65pw rent. But like I said, different people will choose to manage money differently.
Reply 8
I don't think it's expensive at all! There are always student offers on and without those offers, it's no more expensive than any other city and definitely a lot less expensive than London. It's the same as anywhere, if you know where to shop it's not expensive.
City life is average/cheap. The university is pretty expensive, although I hear that a new gym fee structure is being introduced which should help that. The union shop is by no means cheap; they appear to be more interested in running as a business and turning a profit than actually providing cheap products to students. For things like bread and milk you can often save money by going to nearby corner shops.

City: not bad
University: yes
Nottingham is a pretty cheap place to live generally. Don't be put off by the fact that the university are a bunch of money grabbing swines.
Reply 11
ChemistBoy
Don't be put off by the fact that the university are a bunch of money grabbing swines.

I couldn't have put that better myself!
You are right about the university. I was really shocked at the difference in fees when it came to international and UK students. I know that overall the prices for international students are pretty high, but I just found the gap to be ridiculous.

UK students pay around 3000 pounds and we pay around 12,000 pounds. That is a huge gap lol.

Accommodation as well is pretty expensive in comparison to some of the places in the UK that I have asked about.

Student Union shops are a bit ironic, in most places they tend to be the more expensive of the lot. So much for helping out.
I forgot to even mention Nottingham Hospitality! They take the piss more than the lot of them. I'd love to see some kind of graph/statistics showing year-on-year increases, and some real pressure campaigns coming from the SU.
The prices raise by 6% each year don't they?
..::Allure::..
You are right about the university. I was really shocked at the difference in fees when it came to international and UK students. I know that overall the prices for international students are pretty high, but I just found the gap to be ridiculous.

UK students pay around 3000 pounds and we pay around 12,000 pounds. That is a huge gap lol.

Accommodation as well is pretty expensive in comparison to some of the places in the UK that I have asked about.

Student Union shops are a bit ironic, in most places they tend to be the more expensive of the lot. So much for helping out.

Remember before 2006 entry it was even lower at £1125 for home and EU students!
The Regend
Remember before 2006 entry it was even lower at £1125 for home and EU students!

:afraid: Are you serious!!

What happens when 2008 entry comes around :vroam:?
Basically the British government decided they didn't want to spend as much on the UK Universities as they had before so allowed the Universities to start charging more as a result. Even £3k is not the full cost of a home student studying at University for a year, the govt. could decide to cut funding altogether and remove this "cap" on the fees. This could mean home/EU students potentially paying the same as International students do.
That is sort of interesting. Basically, it is kind of like you all are in scholarship already to a certain extent.
Reply 19
One of my friends did a year abroad at Lehigh University and he said how expensive it was.

I've just looked at their fees and it's quite frankly scary.

Tuition: $35,310

That's £17,400 a year for US home students!

I guess that's why Scholarships are so sought after.