The Student Room Group

Lose weight WITHOUT exersising?

I am moving in with my uncle for the summer and he is obese and in his 60s, so naturally I am worried for his health. He has knee problems which makes it pretty much impossible to do any exercise involving the legs (he has no cartilage in his knee).

I want to help him lose weight. Firstly, would upper body exercise help and are there any exersises you could reccomend that do NOT involve legs?

Secondly, I want to get him on a healthy diet. He doesn't eat unhealthily I think he just eats large amounts... but I want to get him on food that will help him lose weight... can anyone help?

I am a vegetarian, I was going to try and get him to cut out red meats? Or all meat and follow my diet? I don't know if that would be healthy for him... (yes I eat "enough protein" as most people always like to ask) I love cooking and always try new things and wouldn't mind cooking his meals if thats what it takes

Tips?
If he can't at least walk for long periods then try small walks in a bigger dosage?

You could always help him with weight loss supplements (e.g. Raspberry Ketones, Green Tea Ketones)

Green tea has shown to be very healthy and can help with weight loss.

There isn't too much you can do without moving though, sorry!
Reply 2
Original post by Lucarious30
If he can't at least walk for long periods then try small walks in a bigger dosage?

You could always help him with weight loss supplements (e.g. Raspberry Ketones, Green Tea Ketones)

Green tea has shown to be very healthy and can help with weight loss.

There isn't too much you can do without moving though, sorry!

There's no significant evidence that drinking green tea helps with weight loss... there is some evidence that it can help in lowering blood cholesterol but he doesn't have an issue with that :smile:

I know that diet control CAN help lose weight even without exercise but I am asking if there is anyone here with nutritional knowledge as I want him to do it healthily rather than fad diets.
Original post by Moura
I am moving in with my uncle for the summer and he is obese and in his 60s, so naturally I am worried for his health. He has knee problems which makes it pretty much impossible to do any exercise involving the legs (he has no cartilage in his knee).

I would try him on the new atkins diet http://uk.atkins.com/new-atkins/ which has come along way since it started. It has the added benefit that you can eat a lot, have bacon and eggs for breakfast and dont feel hungry! They now include vegetables but just avoid the sweeter vegetables (such as potato, carrot, sweetcorn, sweet potato). Its basically meat, and dairy, with what they call low carb veg. Basically replace any bad, processed, starchy carbs with good, healthy carbs. As a rough guide any vegetable that is green is good!

That does mean that he will need to cut out bread, pasta and potatoes. This change alone can make a real difference for many people. If he does still crave carbs, brown rice would be the best option as it is so healthy and high fibre. Likewise I would suggest maybe taking some psyllium husk tablets daily with plenty of water, which will help keep things 'moving' in the bowel department.

Alternatively you could find sensible sized ready meals which would put a limit on what he was eating- often cooking for one can result in cooking too much and you wont be there forever. I would use the online supermarket sites to source some high protein, low carb, relatively healthy ready meals that he can try. Find his favourites- stock up his freezer, and that way when your gone at least he wont fall back in to old habits. Then he can cook his meal and just add plenty of fresh veg as a side.

I would encourage some exercise also. Swimming is the best all over exercise in the non impact category.

Another important part is obviously having other hobbies apart from eating. He needs to maybe join a local club, or take evening classes. That will help him stop eating all the time out of boredom. Or find something he can do with his hands to keep him busy. If he's sat watching tele alone a lot then its so easy to snack. You'll have to try to find things for him to do out of the house and maybe cut down on TV when he is at home. Things like drawing, crosswords or sudoko are better as then you have to concentrate and use your hands. And switch biscuits for fruit!

Good luck!
Vegan diet
Reply 5
No stop with these ****ing diets my God. All he needs to do is eat less than he burns through his TDEE.

Work out his TDEE (google) then if he eats 500 less than that per day he will lose 1lb a week. Thats literally it, he can eat fast food every day if he desired to as long as its under the TDEE.

Do not force drastic changes on him especially a change to vegetarianism; he needs to slowly adjust and there is no need at all to change to being a vegetarian just to lose weight.

Also there are no special foods kk none of this green tea ****. He just needs to eat less. Doesnt even need to exercise but that shouls be introduced slowly also.

So ye work out tdee, 500 less per day, count his calories to make sure. None of these fad diets or superfood bs
Surely the best thing would be to simply reduce the number of calories he is eating? There are loss of tdee calculators you can use to work out his maintenance calories, then help him to eat maybe 200 fewer each day to create a small deficit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Inexorably
No stop with these ****ing diets my God. All he needs to do is eat less than he burns through his TDEE.

Work out his TDEE (google) then if he eats 500 less than that per day he will lose 1lb a week. Thats literally it, he can eat fast food every day if he desired to as long as its under the TDEE.

Do not force drastic changes on him especially a change to vegetarianism; he needs to slowly adjust and there is no need at all to change to being a vegetarian just to lose weight.

Also there are no special foods kk none of this green tea ****. He just needs to eat less. Doesnt even need to exercise but that shouls be introduced slowly also.

So ye work out tdee, 500 less per day, count his calories to make sure. None of these fad diets or superfood bs

thank you this is what i was looking for nothing annoys me more than fad diets and "superfood" ********. as a biologist i get so frustrated when my friends talk about this crap.

ok thanks i will look into his this TDEE thing and what he eats etc...
Reply 8
Have you thought about asking him if he actually wants to lose weight?
Original post by Moura
thank you this is what i was looking for nothing annoys me more than fad diets and "superfood" ********. as a biologist i get so frustrated when my friends talk about this crap.

ok thanks i will look into his this TDEE thing and what he eats etc...

I'm not suggesting a fad diet- presumably if he wanted to be on a diet and stop eating then he would have done that already. Its about will power and you cant force him to change.

BUT you can tweak what he eats so that he feels full longer and doesn't have the highs and lows that you get off junk food; changing processed 'meat products' to good quality, lean, natural meat (like chicken and fish), changing junk foods to healthy carbs like porridge and brown rice, changing chocolate bars to fruit etc. You can change the bread he uses also- some are 55 cals per slice, some are 130. Change his cheese to 30% less fat etc. The little things all add up.

Its also a fact that the body uses up carbs as energy before it can start eating fat, so if someone is eating loads and loads of junk and carbs and not doing any exercise then obviously there is no way they are going to lose weight.

Keeping a food diary usually helps to make people more aware of what they eating too.

Sometimes using a smaller plate helps too- it sounds silly but people tend to fill their plate up and are conditioned to finish it all. Also, if they eat in front of the tele, they are more likely to just keep shovelling it in their face and not notice that they are full.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest