The Student Room Group

Help with planning Cambridge Open Day on Friday July 1st for prospective medical stud

Hello.I have booked the Cambridge open day with my daughter on Friday. She is interested in studying medicine.As Cambridge is unlike other university open days, where there is a planned talk for medicine, and perhaps tours of the med school, Q&A's with students etc, we are not sure how to get the best out of our day.My daughter has looked at info from a few colleges, but every one sounds good and we are just not sure what to look at or which colleges to visit. We could use up our whole day visiting 2 colleges and attending their talks and tours. I would like to know if that could give her enough of an idea if Cambridge is right for her?So, if are there any medical students, parents, or admissions teams that pick up this question and can help us, that would be appreciated.If there are any links to the number of medicine places for each college, that may help too, or do we have to look at each college website for that information?(She has the right qualifications so far, 12 A* at GCSE, just taken 4 AS levels and should have good A's for them all, taking Bio, Chem and Maths to A2) and knows she has to sit the BMAT, so the basics are there).Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Just_a_mum
Hello.I have booked the Cambridge open day with my daughter on Friday. She is interested in studying medicine.As Cambridge is unlike other university open days, where there is a planned talk for medicine, and perhaps tours of the med school, Q&A's with students etc, we are not sure how to get the best out of our day.My daughter has looked at info from a few colleges, but every one sounds good and we are just not sure what to look at or which colleges to visit. We could use up our whole day visiting 2 colleges and attending their talks and tours. I would like to know if that could give her enough of an idea if Cambridge is right for her?So, if are there any medical students, parents, or admissions teams that pick up this question and can help us, that would be appreciated.If there are any links to the number of medicine places for each college, that may help too, or do we have to look at each college website for that information?(She has the right qualifications so far, 12 A* at GCSE, just taken 4 AS levels and should have good A's for them all, taking Bio, Chem and Maths to A2) and knows she has to sit the BMAT, so the basics are there).Thank you

The number of places varies a bit from year to year but this chart shows the number accepted in 2015:

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 23.55.43.jpg

Source: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.u k/apply/statistics

And here's a vid about planning your open day - most students manage to visit 4 or 5 colleges - you don't need to spend ages in each one.

[video="youtube;6COuRZoJ4WI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6COuRZoJ4WI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

And this is important:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.u k/colleges/choosing-a-college

Especially the bit about how NOT to choose a college :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
The number of places varies a bit from year to year but this chart shows the number accepted in 2015:

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 23.55.43.jpg

Source: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.u k/apply/statistics

And here's a vid about planning your open day - most students manage to visit 4 or 5 colleges - you don't need to spend ages in each one.

[video="youtube;6COuRZoJ4WI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6COuRZoJ4WI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

And this is important:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.u k/colleges/choosing-a-college

Especially the bit about how NOT to choose a college :smile:

Thank you for your thorough reply. That is really helpful.
Original post by Just_a_mum

Have you booked to attend the central events? There's a Medicine course presentation but only those pre-registered can attend. Lots of Colleges are open for you to drop in and have a look around/guided tour/chat with students/ask questions to the Admissions Teams. Several Colleges, including Peterhouse, are putting on their own admissions presentations for those interested or those who missed out on a place at the central events. Visits to colleges can be as long or as short as you like - if you want to ask 1 question and see inside 1 bedroom that's fine!

With looking at Colleges, if you're genuinely stuck don't forget an open application is possible and won't make her any more or any less likely to get a place. Don't read too much into the places per college either - remember that all colleges take part in the Winter Pool and we're not limited to offering places to students who applied to a particular college.

If you have any further questions, come and find us on Friday. We'll have 4 current Medicine students helping out if you just want an informal chat with them too. The CUSU Alternative Prospectus is a really great resource as well :smile:

Edit: you may find this page on our website useful. There's also a guide produced by the University aimed specifically at parents and supporters. I can't find an electronic copy but they'll be printed copies around on Friday.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Have you booked to attend the central events? There's a Medicine course presentation but only those pre-registered can attend. Lots of Colleges are open for you to drop in and have a look around/guided tour/chat with students/ask questions to the Admissions Teams. Several Colleges, including Peterhouse, are putting on their own admissions presentations for those interested or those who missed out on a place at the central events. Visits to colleges can be as long or as short as you like - if you want to ask 1 question and see inside 1 bedroom that's fine!

With looking at Colleges, if you're genuinely stuck don't forget an open application is possible and won't make her any more or any less likely to get a place. Don't read too much into the places per college either - remember that all colleges take part in the Winter Pool and we're not limited to offering places to students who applied to a particular college.

If you have any further questions, come and find us on Friday. We'll have 4 current Medicine students helping out if you just want an informal chat with them too. The CUSU Alternative Prospectus is a really great resource as well :smile:

Edit: you may find this page on our website useful. There's also a guide produced by the University aimed specifically at parents and supporters. I can't find an electronic copy but they'll be printed copies around on Friday.

Thank you very much for replying. Unfortunately, we hadn't booked the central medicine talks - I thought that they were just on a first-come first-served basis, so looks like we may have missed out on them, which is disappointing considering the distance we are travelling to visit. We will take your advice and pop into as many colleges as we can. We have the CUSU alternative prospectus bookmarked already.
We are really looking forward to our day and hope that we can get enough out of it to support our daughter in making a decision regarding an application.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending