The Student Room Group

Pre aeronautical engineering gap year

So I've got an offer from Imperial to study Physics this year, but I now want to study Aeronautical Engineering. The most likely route now for me is a gap year and reapplying. So, my question, has anyone on here got any advice for aerospace related work experience/jobs that will boost my application chances? I have one link for work experience but it's only a small-ish one and any other ideas would be appreciated. It's so difficult searching for it because every placement is post-uni (as you'd expect). Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by tobybes
So I've got an offer from Imperial to study Physics this year, but I now want to study Aeronautical Engineering. The most likely route now for me is a gap year and reapplying. So, my question, has anyone on here got any advice for aerospace related work experience/jobs that will boost my application chances? I have one link for work experience but it's only a small-ish one and any other ideas would be appreciated. It's so difficult searching for it because every placement is post-uni (as you'd expect). Thanks in advance :smile:

I don't think that work experience will boost your application chances. They're looking for applicants who can demonstrate the academic ability to complete the course. And if you've already received an offer for physics, you probably already have the right subjects for aeronautical engineering. I would be more inclined to ring them up and see if you can switch to aero, or look into clearing/adjustment at other universities.

Outside of YINI (Google it) I've not heard of companies offering year long placements to those pre-university. I've heard of, and been at, companies offering what is essentially a weeks' shadowing. But you'll find that the vast, vast majority of engineering students will not have any engineering experience before they have started the course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't think I remember anyone on the Imperial aero thread this year who had a good amount of experience working in the aero industry.

Couple of us had had internships not aero related, but I don't think it helped much.

I think what made the successful applicants successful was their passion towards aerospace
Reply 3
Original post by Student403
Don't think I remember anyone on the Imperial aero thread this year who had a good amount of experience working in the aero industry.

Couple of us had had internships not aero related, but I don't think it helped much.

I think what made the successful applicants successful was their passion towards aerospace

Ok, perfect. Thanks for letting me know.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
I don't think that work experience will boost your application chances. They're looking for applicants who can demonstrate the academic ability to complete the course. And if you've already received an offer for physics, you probably already have the right subjects for aeronautical engineering. I would be more inclined to ring them up and see if you can switch to aero, or look into clearing/adjustment at other universities.

Outside of YINI (Google it) I've not heard of companies offering year long placements to those pre-university. I've heard of, and been at, companies offering what is essentially a weeks' shadowing. But you'll find that the vast, vast majority of engineering students will not have any engineering experience before they have started the course.

Thanks, I thought this might be the case. I've read a lot about YINI but I don't want to commit a year to something, as it would just be a bit detrimental to the whole gap year experience possibly. Anyway, thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending