The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
SmilerNuts

Ok so it's recent Lamb Of God you're into? You got any of the earlier stuff? Sacrement is an awesome album but Ashes of the Wake is at least as good. So you want straight up metal, with less hardcore? And not too fast? Try Killing Peace by Onslaught, it's pretty thrashy. Or Immersed by Sinai Beach, dunno if they're quite your thing but worth a shot.
And don't any of you let Malefice slip through your fingers!

I am not sure why you just recommended Sinai Beach. They are just a mediocre metalcore band. I tend to find new bands by searching the underground metal review sites or even by looking at friends lists on myspace, if you keep looking for a while you do find some rather good bands.

On this Malefice band notice one of their reviews is from Kerrang... my opinions on this magazine are well documented... this review claims that they sound like Arch Enemy in parts. wtf? The only comparison I can draw between these two is how synthetic the vocals sound ( i am sure you know how much Angela Gossow's vocals are altered....) so I will reserve judgement until i see a live performance. The first track on their myspace sounds more like the heavier stuff by it dies today. Check out the first track on their myspace too..

Of course I would be up for doing some promoting. And in answer to your comment on bebo check this out. Even with the rubbish sound quality of cameras it sounds good. Can't wait to see them live. Notice that her vocals are actually organic unlike Gossow's...
Reply 181
ad absurdum
Failure to acknowledge Carcass as the pinnacle of modern music will not be tolerated :p:

Yes, those two albums are exactly similar in sound. The title Frozen In Time is meant to refer to Obituary's sound, i.e. that it has not changed over the years (although I disagree, one of the middle albums sounds almost as gay as The Haunted).

That's the only Byzantine album I've got aswell.

What's wrong with The Haunted?! The new album might not be as good but some of their stuff is ace, especially revolver. Ok i'll get those albums too, though someone said that journalists just put the title and sound together and it wasn't the bands original intention.

Jeremiad baby! :biggrin:
The Haunted are good, I've heard some stuff by them and they sounded alright
Reply 183
Keeno89
I am not sure why you just recommended Sinai Beach. They are just a mediocre metalcore band. I tend to find new bands by searching the underground metal review sites or even by looking at friends lists on myspace, if you keep looking for a while you do find some rather good bands.

On this Malefice band notice one of their reviews is from Kerrang... my opinions on this magazine are well documented... this review claims that they sound like Arch Enemy in parts. wtf? The only comparison I can draw between these two is how synthetic the vocals sound ( i am sure you know how much Angela Gossow's vocals are altered....) so I will reserve judgement until i see a live performance. The first track on their myspace sounds more like the heavier stuff by it dies today. Check out the first track on their myspace too..

Of course I would be up for doing some promoting. And in answer to your comment on bebo check this out. Even with the rubbish sound quality of cameras it sounds good. Can't wait to see them live. Notice that her vocals are actually organic unlike Gossow's...

Some of Sinai Beach's stuff is pretty good and fits a little more with what Xulfer was looking for. It dies today - now there's a classic band! :p: . They have 1 good song (Severed Ties...) but i prefer Malefice to them any day. Forever in Terror are another band i reckon are alright, though again Keeno will probably find something wrong with them :rolleyes: . These are small bands and have not refined their sound yet, stick with them.

Lol well you're right about the sound quality anyway...
Yeah, she does sound pretty good actually, hopefully we'll get to see them live and judge then. Shame she didn't look all that hot there :frown:
Lol i love Angela Gossow to bits don't go slagging her off :mad: . Although on the live dvd she sounds totally different to on cd, i'll give you that much at least

To all the rest of you lot: Do you promote ace underground bands and stuff when they come to you're city?
Reply 184
Darkened Angel
The Haunted are good, I've heard some stuff by them and they sounded alright

Finally someone talking sense! Not the best band in the world but still good
SmilerNuts
Finally someone talking sense! Not the best band in the world but still good

They aren't a bad band my any means, it's just they write pretty boring run-of-the-mill metal songs. They seem to be part of this Century Media/Nuclear Blast/Roadrunner collection of just boring, bland and unexceptional metal bands, which is a shame as those labels used to (and still do) have some excellent bands on their roster.
Reply 186
SmilerNuts
Some of Sinai Beach's stuff is pretty good and fits a little more with what Xulfer was looking for. It dies today - now there's a classic band! :p: . They have 1 good song (Severed Ties...) but i prefer Malefice to them any day. Forever in Terror are another band i reckon are alright, though again Keeno will probably find something wrong with them :rolleyes: . These are small bands and have not refined their sound yet, stick with them.

Lol well you're right about the sound quality anyway...
Yeah, she does sound pretty good actually, hopefully we'll get to see them live and judge then. Shame she didn't look all that hot there :frown:
Lol i love Angela Gossow to bits don't go slagging her off :mad: . Although on the live dvd she sounds totally different to on cd, i'll give you that much at least

To all the rest of you lot: Do you promote ace underground bands and stuff when they come to you're city?

I never slagged of any bands at all. Why do you misconstrue everything I say? Mediocre means average. ie there is nothing wrong with them but equally nothing exceptional.

I was merely stating that Angela's vocals are altered on record. Apparently though if you read what the band are claiming about the new album they are aiming for a more organic sound so that may change.

On the subject of Malefice again the comment was on the vocalist sounding different live which I am sure he does. Still better hear more material before any conclusive judgement can be made.

Promoting bands can be rewarding. You can get free tickets and chances to meet them.
Nichrome
They aren't a bad band my any means, it's just they write pretty boring run-of-the-mill metal songs. They seem to be part of this Century Media/Nuclear Blast/Roadrunner collection of just boring, bland and unexceptional metal bands, which is a shame as those labels used to (and still do) have some excellent bands on their roster.

Totally agree. The Haunted were briefly exciting when they first appeared, good to see the Bjorler brothers back on the scene after ATG but as you say they quickly began sounding very routine. There is so much dross coming from Europe at the moment, it is a bit sad.

In fairness to Roadrunner though, with Opeth, Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater on their roster now they look a hell of a lot better than they did a few years ago.
Reply 188
SunburnedCactus

In fairness to Roadrunner though, with Opeth, Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater on their roster now they look a hell of a lot better than they did a few years ago.

Damn straight
I probably shouldn't slag The Haunted, but I really do hate them. Maybe the feeling is exacerbated by disappointment at this is what we got instead of At The Gates :p:
Reply 190
So I read the first few pages of this thread and then lost concentration. but anyway, I like metal. The rock part isn't so much my thing.
Can't be arsed listing bands, but I like loads, black/death/thrash/folk/power whatever labels you wanna put on it. Metal, simply.
I'm off to Wacken next week yeeah!

To add to the ongoing discussion, At The Gates were much better than The Haunted.
I saw the haunted a few months ago, mainly to watch Municipal Waste/Wolf, and heard several people shouting 'PLAY BLINDED BY FEAR' at the haunted haa. I say I saw the haunted, I wasn't really watching 'cause I was having a chat with some MW/Wolf members instead.
True, but on the subject of ATG, do you guys prefer the earlier material such as the Red in the Sky is Ours, or Slaughter of the Soul? Me personally, I love The Red in teh Sky is Ours, great bend of death metal and violins :p:
SmilerNuts

unfortunately we dont have the initial cash to put on bands.. we do support them though, and we often get in free cause the bands all like meeting us anyway, or we'll be doing distro. My boyfriend and I are pretty well known in the UK underground scene, at least one band at each gig we go to know who we are and alot invite us along... In return we do their merch stand, buy a handful of copies of their record for our distro, and keep in contact to support them in the future.

Municipal waste are overrated, i saw them with Rainyday****parade who seriously blew them off stage.

Roadrunner/Century etc have been going downhill for a long time IMO (although century media do sock our stuff in europe so ill give them a little credit) Earache have done the same... the one metal label to be seriously successful and still release **** hot bands IMO is Relapse.... Minsk, Baroness.. mmm
Reply 193

To all the prog fans... anyone out there like Pale Divine or Era Vulgaris? I am not a huge fan of the genre as you may have gathered from some of my Dream Theatre comments but I like these two bands quite a lot.

Finally has anyone heard of Waylander? Their music is so funny and in a weird way it is enjoyable. Lets face it a tin whistle is one of the better gimmicks out there :biggrin:
Nichrome
True, but on the subject of ATG, do you guys prefer the earlier material such as the Red in the Sky is Ours, or Slaughter of the Soul? Me personally, I love The Red in teh Sky is Ours, great bend of death metal and violins :p:

Slaughter of the Soul is my favourite, holds a special place in my heart as the first death metal CD I ever bought.
Reply 195
SoundDevastation
unfortunately we dont have the initial cash to put on bands.. we do support them though, and we often get in free cause the bands all like meeting us anyway, or we'll be doing distro. My boyfriend and I are pretty well known in the UK underground scene, at least one band at each gig we go to know who we are and alot invite us along... In return we do their merch stand, buy a handful of copies of their record for our distro, and keep in contact to support them in the future.

Municipal waste are overrated, i saw them with Rainyday****parade who seriously blew them off stage.

Roadrunner/Century etc have been going downhill for a long time IMO (although century media do sock our stuff in europe so ill give them a little credit) Earache have done the same... the one metal label to be seriously successful and still release **** hot bands IMO is Relapse.... Minsk, Baroness.. mmm

What are your views on Nuckear Blast and Metal Blade?
Reply 196
SunburnedCactus
Totally agree. The Haunted were briefly exciting when they first appeared, good to see the Bjorler brothers back on the scene after ATG but as you say they quickly began sounding very routine. There is so much dross coming from Europe at the moment, it is a bit sad.

Don't forget Megadeth! :smile:
akmd
What are your views on Nuckear Blast and Metal Blade?

never been much of a fan of the bands on either..
SoundDevastation
never been much of a fan of the bands on either..

You're not a fan of Amon Amarth, Unearth, Children of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, In Flames, Meshuggah, Mnemic, Nile, Scar Symmetry or Testament?
Reply 199
And Cannibal Corpse, King Diamond and early Slayer?

Latest