The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Architects, Parkway Drive and Carnifex are there too . Ordered 6 tickets a few hours ago to the London date . Anyone going to As Blood Runs Black w/ Suicide Silence or the hell on earth tour with I think: Hell on Earth, Evergreen Terrace, Walls of Jericho, The Red Chord, Animosity, Stick To Your Guns, Cataract, The Destiny Program.. I hope to go to all of them .

I've seen Parkway Drive, In Flames, Bury Your Dead, MSI, Machine Head, Alexisonfire, Comeback Kid, Architects and All That Remains from that list before.
<-- mainly these. I do know In Flames and Machine Head but other bands...? :s-smilie:
Parkway Drive - Australian metalcore band, getting quite a bit of press this year.
Architects - Imo are absolute pish. Technical metalcore from Brighton. Got worse with new vocalist
Carneifex - no idea :s-smilie:
The Destiny Program - no idea :s-smilie:
Stick to your guns - no idea :s-smilie:
Cataract - Swiss hardcore/metalcore band. Never got any better than average but good if you like that sort of thing.
Alexisonfire - you're ****ting me if you've not heard of them :p: Popular Canadian screamo band
Comeback Kid - melodic hardcore, pretty good.
All That Remains - You'll probably know them. Metalcore, bit like KsE
Evergreen Terrace - bog standard metalcore
Walls Of Jericho - female fronted hardcore band
The Red Chord - awesome, technical music. Check out the album Clients :yy: Most extreme out of the above bands.
Bury Your Dead - hardcore, gaining popularity, not really my thing.
Animosity - no idea

You're clearly a Kerrang metal fan :p:
No, I am not clearly a Kerrang Metal fan. I hope you're being very sarcastic here or I'll have to be quite insulted very soon. :biggrin: I have never bought their books. I know some of them but I just didnt know their genres as I know they're not even metal/rock. I don't buy magazines except for Terrorizer. :p: I dont like hardcore/screamo stuff...not my thing. Metalcore is borderline as well...
Reply 2043
I stopped watching Kerrang once they started playing MCR, 30 Seconds to Mars and Simple Plan. :biggrin:

I'm not a huge fan of metalcore, though I do like KsE, All that remains and dare I say, Bullet for my Valentine and Trivium and various other bands. IMO when everyone starts playing metalcore, they all start sounding the same. It's just the same generic clean vocals, the same breakdowns, the same catchy guitar riffs over and over again.

Has anyone here heard of Sikth? They are (were) a British Tech-metal band, but they recently broke up. I don't think they've ever got any Kerrang/Scuzz coverage, but if they did it would probably be this song (Bland Street Bloom) They wrote some pretty crazy music. since both of their guitarists are very good, and they did some very interesting dual-vocalist stuff.
Reply 2044
Sikth we're stunning. Saw them a few times in Wolves, always knew how to put on a good show. I enjoyed the new album when it came out but it kinda wore out on me quickly, but The Trees Are Dead And Dried Out was ridiculously good.
Reply 2045
I hope Smiler was being sarcastic there too, most/possibly all the bands you listed I would call "Kerrang metal".

And once again Pelican don't tour anywhere near me! I missed them with High on Fire, and now I miss them headlining :mad:
blahbloo
No, I am not clearly a Kerrang Metal fan. I hope you're being very sarcastic here or I'll have to be quite insulted very soon. :biggrin: I have never bought their books. I know some of them but I just didnt know their genres as I know they're not even metal/rock. I don't buy magazines except for Terrorizer. :p: I dont like hardcore/screamo stuff...not my thing. Metalcore is borderline as well...

Hail the mighty Terrorizer. Best metal mag by literally a million miles, for the writing quality alone never mind the contents.
People into thrash/groove metal should listen to Volbeat. :smile:
Thrash/Groove metal like Pantera? Or more thrash than groove? Cos I'm not into groove very much, only band I like is Pantera. :biggrin: I shall check them out when i have the time, more likely when I get my headphones back. :wink:
Cynic are supporting Opeth on their November tour. Holy **** ****!
Reply 2050
So are The Ocean. I'm so tempted to go. The Ocean are farcking class.
Cynic AND Opeth? I'm there :biggrin:
If that is true I am also there. In fact I'm already there, looking expectantly at the stage like a hungry dog.
blahbloo
Thrash/Groove metal like Pantera? Or more thrash than groove? Cos I'm not into groove very much, only band I like is Pantera. :biggrin: I shall check them out when i have the time, more likely when I get my headphones back. :wink:

Wouldn't say it was thrash overall but ends up being listed as groove according to Wikipedia. One band which has confused sub-genres for me is Running Wild. Considered by most as power metal but thrash to me - the way the guitars are played are similar, just not as fast riffing as say Megadeth and Anthrax.
All I can say is NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER TRUST WIKIPEDIA. Always consult Metal Archives, they are one of the most accurate encyclopedia for metal. I *love* it.

Cynic rocks. I shall have to check out this tour and see if i can attend it! :redface: I'll hold my breath until a gig, hopefully might get confirmed in London.
Wikipedia is a credible source for most information thank you very much. Genres are always a subjective matter anyways.

Power Metal and Thrash both came from NWOBHM, thus the inherent similarities.
I honestly don't trust Wikipedia, they have given me so many bands that was incorrectly labelled. So I choose to stick with Metal Archives, it is a great website nonetheless.
SmilerNuts
Parkway Drive - Australian metalcore band, getting quite a bit of press this year.
Architects - Imo are absolute pish. Technical metalcore from Brighton. Got worse with new vocalist
Carneifex - no idea :s-smilie:
The Destiny Program - no idea :s-smilie:
Stick to your guns - no idea :s-smilie:
Cataract - Swiss hardcore/metalcore band. Never got any better than average but good if you like that sort of thing.
Alexisonfire - you're ****ting me if you've not heard of them :p: Popular Canadian screamo band
Comeback Kid - melodic hardcore, pretty good.
All That Remains - You'll probably know them. Metalcore, bit like KsE
Evergreen Terrace - bog standard metalcore
Walls Of Jericho - female fronted hardcore band
The Red Chord - awesome, technical music. Check out the album Clients :yy: Most extreme out of the above bands.
Bury Your Dead - hardcore, gaining popularity, not really my thing.
Animosity - no idea

You're clearly a Kerrang metal fan :p:

Carnifex are another deathcore band, probably most comparable with suicide silence, 'cept more technical. Stick to your guns are awesome - well worth a listen anyway :smile:. Smallish hardcore/metal band from cali, have some really good tracks.

Yeah, a lot of the bands playing are quite stereotypical, main bands I'm going to see are As Blood Runs Black, Parkway Drive for a second time, The Red Chord, Architects (I love them so shhh :P) and Stick To Your guns.

Dillinger Escape Plan are an awesome live band if any of you are into mathcore.. Saw them at download on the 3rd stage and they were just amazing.
Reply 2058
Anyone heard any of the new Dragonforce stuff? It's hilarious. They sound as if they are actually trying to make fun of power metal or something.:biggrin:
Reply 2059
I like The Ocean, but I was hoping Opeth wouldn't take a support band, never mind two! A two hour set is gonna be impossible now :frown:

Latest