The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would say so, Le Secret is high quality melodic black metal with shoegaze elements like soft singing.
Reply 281
Yay! The thread is alive again! :biggrin:
Accepted another few folk into the society

Darkened Angel
Zico Chains coming to Sheffield this September!! :biggrin: Might go see them, it's only £10 :smile: Just need to find out where Casbah is.

£10! what a joke! I was only £6 when i went to see them and now i can get on the guest list for any gig i like that they're playing. Go see them though, they're amazing! :biggrin:

Ilora-Danon
Would I get thrown out of this thread as a fan of HIM? *hides*

How old or new is the HIM stuff? Some stuff from Love Metal and before that was quite good actually :ninja:

Salain
I like black metal, some favourites being Windir, Alcest (although no longer playing black metal), Borknagar, Negurã Bunget and Emperor

Trying to get In The Nightside Eclipse but nobody sells it anywhere :mad: . Supposed to be a classic album. I am the black wizards FTW!

CapenCyber
Get Rust in Peace, it will change your life

I've never really liked Megadeth :redface:
Though i've mostly heard stuff from the last couple of albums, it just wasn't my thing.

Darkened Angel
Within Temptation sound good! :smile: They're track 'Frozen' reminds me a bit too much of Evanescence though. The rest are a bit too much :p: After Forever would've just fine if it wasn't for the male vocals.
As for the the last two... wtf is wrong with their voice?!! Women should not sound like that! :eek:

Within Temptation always get slagged for sounding like Evanescence but they were around years before them apparently.
Afetr Forever i agree with you about, sack the male! (proving i'm not sexist :biggrin: )
The last 2 are amazing i reckon! There aren't enough female vocalists who scream like that, it's sad really. But those 2 bands are simply awesome. Angela Gossow is a godess
SmilerNuts
Trying to get In The Nightside Eclipse but nobody sells it anywhere :mad: . Supposed to be a classic album. I am the black wizards FTW!

Hmm that's odd, I thought it was a relatively easy to find album. I found mine in my local Virgin!

Here you go: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nightside-Eclipse-Emperor/dp/B000305912/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/026-0755086-8819622?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1187091618&sr=8-5

It is a good album to introduce you to black metal, but I kind of see it as a stepping stone to better but harder to listen to bands. I think it is a touch overrated.
Reply 283
Nichrome
Hmm that's odd, I thought it was a relatively easy to find album. I found mine in my local Virgin!

Here you go: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nightside-Eclipse-Emperor/dp/B000305912/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/026-0755086-8819622?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1187091618&sr=8-5

It is a good album to introduce you to black metal, but I kind of see it as a stepping stone to better but harder to listen to bands. I think it is a touch overrated.

My local virgin hasn't got any new metal CD's in for 4 months, go figure :frown: .

Thanks, i'll buy that when i get paid next. Will be my moving in day album, just to scare people away :p:

The ones you say are harder to listen to, i take it you mean the ones with poor production that sound like "a wasp in a wind tunnel"?
Been listening to some stuff off the new satyricon album and CoF are good but that's as far as my black metal goes so far
Right then, how many times have you lot listened to Cynic - Focus in a row? I'm expecting nothing less than 10 times.
once and never again.. not my thing at all.

Virgin and Metal... i'll let you into a industry secret - virgin came off the worst last christmas (even worse than Fopp who closed down) since the rise of downloads, since then they have only been buying in the biggest easily sellable albums for the 'metal' section.. Our distributor doesnt even bother offering them stuff anymore. They wont be around too much longer i dont think..
SoundDevastation

Virgin and Metal... i'll let you into a industry secret - virgin came off the worst last christmas (even worse than Fopp who closed down) since the rise of downloads, since then they have only been buying in the biggest easily sellable albums for the 'metal' section.. Our distributor doesnt even bother offering them stuff anymore. They wont be around too much longer i dont think..

Ahh interesting. Well this was a two or three years ago I'll admit when they sold the slightly more popular black metal bands like Darkthrone, Mayhem, I think I even spotted a Tsjuder album there once....in fact they had loads of season of mist albums at one point. I have not bought music from any chain store for a very long time now though, so I have no idea what the current situation is like.
Any NIN fans here?
Nichrome
Ahh interesting. Well this was a two or three years ago I'll admit when they sold the slightly more popular black metal bands like Darkthrone, Mayhem, I think I even spotted a Tsjuder album there once....in fact they had loads of season of mist albums at one point. I have not bought music from any chain store for a very long time now though, so I have no idea what the current situation is like.

Virgin is pretty much down the pan... HMV have seen to got themselves together a bit and started stocking some pretty extreme stuff.. i found Amebix (wtf that was doing in a chain i dont know), L'acephale (grimmest release of the year), Tulus, Vreid, Wolfmangler.. still stocking Kahante last i looked aswell.
SoundDevastation

:frown:
Reply 290
Favourite bands at the moment:

Dir en grey, Maiden, Metallica, Dream Theater, Galneryus, Porcupine Tree, Type O Negative, X Japan, Rush, Chthonic, Electric Eel Shock

And Cynic are crazy.
Reply 291
Darkened Angel
Any NIN fans here?

Meh, i liked a couple of songs off Downward Spiral and i've got With Teeth but no way my favourite band in the world.

What's the current obsession with Dir En Grey all about? They're not all that good anyway.

You can't seriously think Virgn is gonna disappear can you? The shop is always jammed. But in my local one they haven't got any new metal albums in, not even easily sellable ones. Pisses me off big time, especially now that the local Fopp is gone and the prices they charge are daylight robbery
Apparently most Fopp stores will be re-opening.. they'll still be Fopp, but under the comand of HMV.

No good local indie stores near you?
Reply 293
There's 1 indie shop in Aberdeen and i shop there when i can. It just doesn't have big back catalouges and only has new releases for 2 weeks max so can be hard to give them my custom. At least the prices are cheap :biggrin:

I thought HMV were only reviving 6 Fopp stores? The nearest of which is 150 miles from my house :s-smilie:. I dunno what an HMV controlled Fopp would be like. interesting to say the least
Reply 294
Guys, why not just buy online? It's cheaper anyway and with student discount, it's even cheaper. HMV Online has seen a lot of my money thanks to their 10% student discount.
It is alot better to buy online, though i do like suppoting my local indie store. The best place to buy online is just the label's website... postage is often included, you wond find it cheaper anywhere else, and the label/band get 100% rather than 22% :smile:
Reply 296
SoundDevastation
It is alot better to buy online, though i do like suppoting my local indie store. The best place to buy online is just the label's website... postage is often included, you wond find it cheaper anywhere else, and the label/band get 100% rather than 22% :smile:

I can see the logic behind supporting local stores. Those guys are always hit the hardest when music sales go down. And they tend to actually know and care about the product they're selling.
i would always go to my local independant store over HMV or Virgin, mainly because HMV and Virgin seem so expensive
Reply 298
I do buy online now a lot but i think it's cool if you're in town and you see a cd you've wanted for years and it's only £5.99 or whatever, you just have to go buy it. Online you have to know exactly what you're looking for cause just browsing is so much harder.
And HMV online hates me, never lets me log in and when it does it rejects every card i try and use, given up there totally.
i gave up after i had trouble signing up my NUS card..

I rarely have to buy that many CDs now tbh. We run a distro on the SD website.. so if theres anything i really want i can either buy some copies wholesale or do a 'free' swap with our own releases (then keep a copy for myself) :biggrin:

Latest