The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
vector
Is there a large gang problem round Brixton then?

It exists, but it's not directed at casual visitors. So tourists are fine. It's London alot of areas have gang culture, but it's very discrete and you will only hear about it on the news.

Keep your hand on your wallet, is my advice, there are pickpockets in any areas, and it pays to be careful.

Honestly not trying to put anyone off, never had any serious problems there. You really wont unless you're silly. You are a yokel though your first time in the city, it's a whole different vibe from any city I've seen.
Reply 321
vector
What is the difference between death metal and deathcore?

More metalcore then death metal

Bands like Through the eyes of the dead is deathcore then bands like cannibal corpse is straight up death metal. Also some deathcore bands may have different vocals then a traditional death metal band. Hard to understand unless ure into the genres. I only listen to a few deathcore bands my self

All Shall Perish
Through The Eyes Of The Dead

Damm this site is slow at times, very laggy!
Reply 322
Sidhe
It exists, but it's not directed at casual visitors. So tourists are fine. It's London alot of areas have gang culture, but it's very discrete and you will only hear about it on the news.

Keep your hand on your wallet, is my advice, there are pickpockets in any areas, and it pays to be careful.

Honestly not trying to put anyone off, never had any serious problems there. You really wont unless you're silly. You are a yokel though your first time in the city, it's a whole different vibe from any city I've seen.

We had to walk through an area of Manchester called Sportcity from the station to our hotel. Was broad daylight but still absolutely terrifying :s-smilie:
Reply 323
vector
We had to walk through an area of Manchester called Sportcity from the station to our hotel. Was broad daylight but still absolutely terrifying :s-smilie:

Indeed never experienced Manchester but you hear tales... Live near Portsmouth, and it's safe as houses, small city, and can go anywhere, it's on an island and it's very easy to police because of it. It is a chavy city but it's a safe city too luckily. The police actually managed to get most of the gang culture out, and it was mostly foreign gangs (triads, tongs etc) There is a criminal underside obviously but it's very understated.

Anyway that's dull all cities have there gang problems. But you won't experience it unless your part of the culture usually, or you get mugged etc.

Anyway back to the music, I was watching the music channels last night and they did SoundGarden: Black Hole Sun just before I was going to bed, it is like one of my favourites, it was almost like God had put it on just for me :smile: If they'd of followed it by One: Metallica then I'd of known it was a miracle. Or perhaps, Song For the Dead by QOTSA.

There is just so much good stuff around ATM. SOAD are particular favourites.
Reply 324
I liked SoaD for ages but have kind of gone of them :redface:
akmd
Yes, I will be there on Tuesday. It will be the 3rd time I've seen them. As for the safety of the venue, you should be fine. Are you going with friends? If so, you have nothing to worry about. If you aren't, just follow the Tool fans to and from the venue.

Ahh excellent. Yes I'll be with friends so I'm sure all will be ok. I shall be going Tuesday too!
Reply 326
Cool. Hope you enjoy the show.
Reply 327
Necrophag
Mostly into death metal/melodic death and some deathcore/metalcore, anything but that crappy mtv rap metal stuff really suck.

I love your taste in music! :biggrin:
Welcome to the society

Sidhe
Song For the Dead by QOTSA

Fantastic choice there! That whole album is amazing, listening to it last night.

Btw you and Vector are welcome to join the society if you wanna :smile: . Same goes to anyone else.

Vector
I liked SoaD for ages but have kind of gone of them :redface:

I'm actually the same as you. I used to listen to theme every day, they were like my favourite band. But now i just get annoyed when i listen to them cause i'm bored by it. Please don't shoot me anyone!

Random replies to whoever said this stuff: No i don't like High on Fire, sorry. Bloodstock didn't look that good to me this year, would only have gone for Arch Enemy and In Flames. Don't think Wacken was much better.

Deathcore has more hardcore in it than Death Metal. Also more likely to get those pig squeals. Bands like Job for a Cowboy and Despised Icon. Death Metal is bands such as Nile, Obituary, Behemoth and Decapitated

Oh, i can't believe i'm even saying this but my (metalhead) friend doesn't believe there is such a genre as Melodic Death Metal, **** or what?!
Reply 328
That's exactly the way I am. Had a bit of a listen last night but couldn't get into it :redface:
Reply 329
Which album was it like? At the moment i'm finding the older stuff the worst, even though that used to be my fave
Reply 330
Toxicity and self titled.
Reply 331
You got Steal This Album? It's outtakes but it's one of the best :biggrin:

self-titled is the worst imo, Toxicity is decent but not a classic
Reply 332
Yep I do. Had a lot of listens back in the day :biggrin:
Reply 333
"Back in the Day" :love:
Lol i love that phrase, even found a t-shirt with that written on it.
It's almost repworthy lol

"What is with the pie? Pizza Pizza Pie!"
"Olives, green peppers, mushrooms, olive, chives"

Lol the lyrics were class
I've overplayed Sanctity - Beneath The Machine so much. I'm going to hate it come next week.
Reply 335
Sanctity? Is that the band that everyone compares to Trivium?
Reply 336
SmilerNuts
I love your taste in music! :biggrin:
Welcome to the society

Fantastic choice there! That whole album is amazing, listening to it last night.

Btw you and Vector are welcome to join the society if you wanna :smile: . Same goes to anyone else.

I'm actually the same as you. I used to listen to theme every day, they were like my favourite band. But now i just get annoyed when i listen to them cause i'm bored by it. Please don't shoot me anyone!

Random replies to whoever said this stuff: No i don't like High on Fire, sorry. Bloodstock didn't look that good to me this year, would only have gone for Arch Enemy and In Flames. Don't think Wacken was much better.

Deathcore has more hardcore in it than Death Metal. Also more likely to get those pig squeals. Bands like Job for a Cowboy and Despised Icon. Death Metal is bands such as Nile, Obituary, Behemoth and Decapitated

Oh, i can't believe i'm even saying this but my (metalhead) friend doesn't believe there is such a genre as Melodic Death Metal, **** or what?!

Maybe hes into mtv fake metal? lol

Can't stand any thing like linkin park, korn, slipknot, all fake and crap. Kids line up of music :P
Love melodic death metal!

Arch Enemy
Amon Amarth
Soilwork
Scar Symmetry
Reply 337
Ok very much old school? I like SOAD, but have seen it all. I've seen Black Sabbath play Live, only Ozzy and Tony Tony Iommi unfortunately, but you know I wasn't born in the sixties :smile:

Thanks for the invite Smilernuts I have one society left, we shall see :smile: I think you're top runner atm... Never actually had an invite :biggrin:

I'm busy atm, no that's a lie, always have time for music but...

Christ I'm listening to Faith no More atm, my mate just put it on, it's a dirty job but someone's got to do it :smile:
Reply 338
Many of the bands I like are considered 'old school'. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Dio, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, Exhorder, Dark Angel, Sepultura, Nuclear Assault, Possessed, Death, Celtic Frost, Obituary, Morbid Angel, Exodus and Testament would fall under that label.

I also like Alice In Chains, Pantera, Opeth, Machine Head, Fear Factory, Type O Negative, Iced Earth, Mastodon, Dream Theater, Lamb Of God, Shadows Fall, Danzig, Helmet, Suffocation, Nile, Corrosion Of Conformity, Symphony X, High On Fire and Chimaira.

As Necrophag also said, I can't stand Korn, Linkin Park, Slipknot and other fake metal bands.

Oh, and Faith No More kick ass! :biggrin:
fnm ftw :p:

Latest