The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4160
Keeno89

Oh and if you haven't heard of Oceansize give them a listen! Not really like tool at all, but amazing prog music. Has a very post rock ish vibe musically

Oceansize are awesome! I was gutted that I had to choose between Bullet For My Valentine and them at Sonisphere and so missed them - I know, I know, it was the wrong choose :p:
Reply 4161
Jacky_B
Silhouettes was a very good album by Textures, not heard about a new one this year but I hope so :biggrin:

And I'm not sure about Alexisonfire, I personally like Old Crows/Young Cardinals. But its all personal preference I suppose.

Textures signed to Nuclear Blast last year and said they would have a new album out early this year. Will go look for evidence of that :p:. I have the proof!

Textures signs with Nuclear Blast We have signed a worldwide deal with Nuclear Blast. After releasing three albums on Listenable records, the band will be joining the roster alongside great bands like In Flames, Meshuggah and Soilwork. Nuclear Blast being one of the strongest labels in metal will help us reach the next level. We will hit the studio, beginning of 2010 to create the follow up to Silhouettes which will see its release late summer/Autumn 2010.

More importantly for now though... TesseracT and Periphery debut albums should be out in the next few months. If not I will be really annoyed cos they've both been making the albums for far too long! New Dillinger Escape Plan in march too :biggrin:

I don't like Old Crows/Young Cardinals that much cos of George's vox... I dont liek the kind of gruff singing. It just sounds too punkish, and that's not a genre I am too fond of. Only punk bands I like are Refused and A Wilhelm Scream

corney91
Oceansize are awesome! I was gutted that I had to choose between Bullet For My Valentine and them at Sonisphere and so missed them - I know, I know, it was the wrong choose :p:

They are touring late this month/ beginning of next. Less than 2 weeks til I see them :biggrin: Support is from And So I Watch You From Afar who are pretty good, and Vessels who I have never heard of!

And don't worry I'm sure I'll have to make similar choices at Download. I would happily stay on the smaller stages watching the good upcoming or heavier bands, but my mate likes the commercial stuff so I will be forced to go with her to some bands I will detest no doubt, cos I don't want to be ditched!
Mcgruff
They're not Christian rock?

Who said they were?
Reply 4163
Don't like that myself. It's weird for a band like them to be covering Led Zep

I didn't expect it myself, but I thought it was pretty good - they seem to have got the emotion out right.

Ah, that's what it is. :embarrassed: I wondered. Thanks!

I give the Rishloo thing a listen to in a bit. I haven't heard of Oceansize either, but Porcupine Tree rock! Do you listen to Dream Theatre?
Reply 4164
Keeno89

They are touring late this month/ beginning of next. Less than 2 weeks til I see them :biggrin: Support is from And So I Watch You From Afar who are pretty good, and Vessels who I have never heard of!

And don't worry I'm sure I'll have to make similar choices at Download. I would happily stay on the smaller stages watching the good upcoming or heavier bands, but my mate likes the commercial stuff so I will be forced to go with her to some bands I will detest no doubt, cos I don't want to be ditched!

Yeah, I looked that up - unfortunately the only date I'd be able to do would be Manchester which I was too late for tickets :frown:
Ah well, there'll be plenty of other opportunities at other times :smile:
Reply 4165
Abiraleft
II give the Rishloo thing a listen to in a bit. I haven't heard of Oceansize either, but Porcupine Tree rock! Do you listen to Dream Theatre?

I don't like Dream Theater much tbh... John Petrucci is an amazing guitarist but having 3 minute long solo's in EVERY song just gets boring. Then I hate the singer's voice :p:

I've always preferred Symphony X, slightly heavier, MUCH better vocals, and although they still have the exuberant guitar solos, they are not as prominent or as annoying as they are in Dream Theater.

Spoiler

Definitely recommend Redemption to fans of progressive metal who may or may not like Dream Theater. Snowfall on Judgment Day is probably one of my favorite albums of '09.
RJA
You should have been in London tonight! INCANTATION ****** TORE THE PLACE UP!! And Hate were absolutely sensational as well, 10x the band Behemoth will ever be. Need to see Immolation hitting the road in the UK soon...

Kinda wanted to go to that but had a mates birthday going on, that and I've seen Incantation plenty and don't really care for the other bands. :P
Reply 4168
Keeno89
I don't like Dream Theater much tbh... John Petrucci is an amazing guitarist but having 3 minute long solo's in EVERY song just gets boring. Then I hate the singer's voice :p:

I've always preferred Symphony X, slightly heavier, MUCH better vocals, and although they still have the exuberant guitar solos, they are not as prominent or as annoying as they are in Dream Theater.

I haven't heard enough DT songs to be able to judge it like that, but I've liked a lot of what I have heard from them - 'Hollow Years', 'Take Away My Pain', 'Peruvian Skies', 'The Great Debate', and a few more (none of which, as far as I can recall, have 3 minute long solos). I agree about LeBrie's (sp?) voice, though - excellent range, but not that excellent.

I Kant Spall
Redemption

Thanks for the heads up. :smile:
I know i will get flamed to hell but I have rediscovered the amazing Pedal To The Metal by Blessed By A Broken Heart. That album is ******* great and really needs to be listened to :biggrin:
Reply 4170
MetalheadA7X
I know i will get flamed to hell but I have rediscovered the amazing Pedal To The Metal by Blessed By A Broken Heart. That album is ******* great and really needs to be listened to :biggrin:

For those unfamiliar with them....
It's like what would happen if Van Halen collaborated with Lead Sails Paper Anchor era Atreyu, with the fashion sense of Steel Panther, and the haircuts of Avenged Sevenfold....

Yes. it's THAT good :yep: Each to their own I suppose. I hate every single thing about that band!

Guitarist also came across as an idiot in a list of guitar players he was looking forward to hearing more of this year. he mentioned one who had walked away from music a few years ago
Haha, that band sounds awful.

As far as really 'gay' sounding rock/metal goes the worst I can listen to is stuff like Blind Guardian/Sonata Arctica and then only when highly intoxicated, with a load of friends either on the way to or at a festival. Or at BBQs.

Painful. xD
Reply 4172
Eric Kahlsbeek just left Textures :frown:
Keeno89

For those unfamiliar with them....
It's like what would happen if Van Halen collaborated with Lead Sails Paper Anchor era Atreyu, with the fashion sense of Steel Panther, and the haircuts of Avenged Sevenfold....

Yes. it's THAT good :yep: Each to their own I suppose. I hate every single thing about that band!

Guitarist also came across as an idiot in a list of guitar players he was looking forward to hearing more of this year. he mentioned one who had walked away from music a few years ago

Yes they do look like the lost boys or something, but its feel good music which gets you dancing.
Reply 4174
MetalheadA7X
Yes they do look like the lost boys or something, but its feel good music which gets you dancing.

I'd rather have cheesy 80's stuff like Motley Crue, Van Halen etc :p:

In other news.. Periphery have ANOTHER new vocalist :eek3:
skinnyeddy
I've listened to Rammsteins new album a bit recently(not the special edition though!) and the songs are pretty good. At first I found it hard to take them seriously just because they were singing in German

I like them but tend to prefer different songs than everyone else. Never saw the massive appeal to Sonne, prefer Feuer Frei myself. :cool: I tend to listen to Ruoska and Turmion Katilot these days though. :biggrin:
Keeno89
I don't like Dream Theater much tbh... John Petrucci is an amazing guitarist but having 3 minute long solo's in EVERY song just gets boring. Then I hate the singer's voice

Yeah, I used to listen to Dream Theater, like, ten years ago and now I get friends banging on about them. Do wonder if they are being spoonfed new bands by a gaming franchise. :rolleyes:
Reply 4177
NDGAARONDI
Yeah, I used to listen to Dream Theater, like, ten years ago and now I get friends banging on about them. Do wonder if they are being spoonfed new bands by a gaming franchise. :rolleyes:

GH tends to choose poor tracks by bands. I was shocked to see a Darkest Hour song on GH5.... and they choose one of the worst, most commercial songs they have made. And it was one of the ones with rubbish solos :p: Also I doubt some of the proper amazing but underrated guitarists will get on the game :p:

In any case... I still don't like Dream Theater that much. If they replaced the vocalist with Casey Sabol and made the solos more bearable they could be amazing though :yep: It's not gonna happen is it? :frown:

Oh other news... Pin from Sikth finally seems like he has a band that he might actually record something with! Aliases is their name
Keeno89
Also I doubt some of the proper amazing but underrated guitarists will get on the game

True. They do have some underappreciated musicians like Joe Satriani but it is mostly the 'saturated' commercial stuff you already hear on the radio and see on Kerrang. Partly why I was surprised to see Anthrax and Testament to have songs in the franchise.
I haven't played a Guitar Hero game since GHIII. I was fairly surprised to see an In Flames song on there, even if it was from their worst album.

Anyway, I'm listening to some Emerson, Lake, & Palmer at the moment. :woo:

Latest