The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cormorant's new album anybody? Couple of weeks old now, but it's flipped straight up near the top few of the albums of the year.
Reply 5821
Ohooohoohoo this is great.

New forefather album has actually been released now and i think all of it is on youtube.

Seeing as I'm going to be getting it for real in a couple of days I'm only going to listen to a few tracks but so far it sounds as good as Steadfast :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
New(ish) Alcest song + video:
Anyone looking forward to new QOTSA album?
Reply 5825
Original post by Manitude
New(ish) Alcest song + video:

You heard the other new samples? They sound amazing. I cannot wait to hear them in their entirety... Neige certainly knows how to make amazing music.
Original post by JaggySnake95
Anyone looking forward to new QOTSA album?

forsure.

The outro to 'Autre Temps' is now my second favourite thing by Alcest, after the GRIMNESS in 'Ecailles de Lune pt2'
Original post by Atomik
You heard the other new samples? They sound amazing. I cannot wait to hear them in their entirety... Neige certainly knows how to make amazing music.

I've not. I'm guessing they're lurking around youtube and myspace?

I really like what Neige does, though I do find that he relies on the same sound a bit too much. That song I posted before could easily have been on souvenirs d'un autre monde.
Reply 5828
I've not. I'm guessing they're lurking around youtube and myspace?

I really like what Neige does, though I do find that he relies on the same sound a bit too much. That song I posted before could easily have been on souvenirs d'un autre monde.

Here they are:

I'd say they sound like a mixture between 'Souvenirs...' and 'Ecailles...' :smile: Stunning stuff. Also love Amesoeurs. Neige's vocals are just perfect, both shoegaze-wise and BM-wise...
Top 10 black metal albrums of da year 4 u all

(technically an EP, and recorded a few years ago, but I don't care, it was released this year and it's basically the same length as Reign in Blood)

Reply 5830
Original post by seasons of wither
(not solely addressed to concubine) whats a good starting point for black metal? im looking to broaden my musical horizons, all ive been listening to lately is prog metal.

I'm not at all an authority on BM, but these are my favourites:

Deathspell Omega - Fas Ite Maledicti in Ignem Aeternum

Probably my favourite album from these guys.

Spite Extreme Wing - Vltra

My favourite BM album at the moment, you'll probably warm to this one really easy compared to Deathspell Omega.
(not solely addressed to concubine) whats a good starting point for black metal? im looking to broaden my musical horizons, all ive been listening to lately is prog metal.

Alcest is easy to listen to.
But I started on Burzum. Well technically Naglfar but ignore that for now.

That was (I think) my first encounter with Burzum. Either that or Dunkelheit.

It's also a very good idea to read up on the history of the bands as you listen to them, especially if they're from the early 90s Norwegian scene.
And especially if you like reading about murderers, church burners and generally crazy people.
Euronymous had a very interesting life and death, to say the least.
The link to join the society in the OP is broken - can anyone help?

Now then, Metal tends to be on my stereo a lot at the moment, in particular Mastodon and In Flames:

Got to love this band, of their 5 albums so far they've done concept albums about Moby Dick (Leviathan) and an album about Rasputin & Steven Hawking's Wormhole theory (Crack The Skye).

Really enjoy their old stuff, last couple of albums are a bit take it or leave it but Clayman - brilliant album.
Reply 5833

With most things I think its best to start with the more accessible things before going into the more extreme guys. I started with Wolves in the Throne Room, Austere, Fen, Vinterland and Burzums later albums and of course Immortal then you can probably ease into Xasthur, Weakling, Leviathan and the early Norwegian scene. Just a thought.
Original post by Veldrin
With most things I think its best to start with the more accessible things before going into the more extreme guys. I started with Wolves in the Throne Room, Austere, Fen, Vinterland and Burzums later albums and of course Immortal then you can probably ease into Xasthur, Weakling, Leviathan and the early Norwegian scene. Just a thought.

I don't think anybody 'eases' into Xasthur!

Fen is a brilliant shout as always. They're fairly extreme though, but the beautiful ambience and atmosphere should please anyone who is genuinely interested in music and has an open mind.

Depends... what do you want to get out of it?

On one hand you have bands like Lurker Of Chalice, on the other you have Nocturnal Depression.

Mix bands like WITTR and Circle Of Ouroborus into the mix and it all gets a little bit hectic :tongue:

I started out on DSBM (Depressive Suicidal Black Metal) and never looked back:

I have a feeling you'll like Ne Obliviscaris (progressive black metal, apparently):

Forest Silence are also quite good, though I'm too lazy to warrant putting them in any specific sub-genre at the moment:

One thing you'll have to get used to is foreign vocals, as a lot of the better black metal bands that have come out in recent years (Winterfylleth and Fen aside) are from abroad, so if you're the kind of person who regularly says "I can't understand what the lyrics are :sad: :sad: :sad: " then you're going to have to pick and choose what to listen to, and miss out on some real gems in doing so.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Drunk Punx
Depends... what do you want to get out of it?

On one hand you have bands like Lurker Of Chalice, on the other you have Nocturnal Depression.

Mix bands like WITTR and Circle Of Ouroborus into the mix and it all gets a little bit hectic :tongue:

I started out on DSBM (Depressive Suicidal Black Metal) and never looked back:

I have a feeling you'll like Ne Obliviscaris (progressive black metal, apparently):

Forest Silence are also quite good, though I'm too lazy to warrant putting them in any specific sub-genre at the moment:

One thing you'll have to get used to is foreign vocals, as a lot of the better black metal bands that have come out in recent years (Winterfylleth and Fen aside) are from abroad, so if you're the kind of person who regularly says "I can't understand what the lyrics are :sad: :sad: :sad: " then you're going to have to pick and choose what to listen to, and miss out on some real gems in doing so.

You started on DSBM???? Took me a long while to work my way up to that!

There's more to UKBM than winterfylleth and fen...Wodensthrone, Iceni and others!
If you're including bands with folkish influences then Askival, Forefather and Oakenshield are sterling!
You started on DSBM???? Took me a long while to work my way up to that!

There's more to UKBM than winterfylleth and fen...Wodensthrone, Iceni and others!
If you're including bands with folkish influences then Askival, Forefather and Oakenshield are sterling!

Don't forget Altar Of Plagues :wink:
I can never remember what part of Ireland they're from.

So many bands, not enough time :sad:
I still have some Trist (Cze) demos that I managed to find hidden in some backward part of the Internet that I've been meaning to listen to for over a year >.<

I haven't even extracted them from their .zip files yet... Procrastination's a massive bitch :lol:

See, I'm not adverse to folk-influenced metal, but for some reason it's always fairly far down on my "to look for" list. I'll check the bands you rec'd :smile:
Original post by Drunk Punx
Don't forget Altar Of Plagues :wink:
I can never remember what part of Ireland they're from.

So many bands, not enough time :sad:
I still have some Trist (Cze) demos that I managed to find hidden in some backward part of the Internet that I've been meaning to listen to for over a year >.<

I haven't even extracted them from their .zip files yet... Procrastination's a massive bitch :lol:

See, I'm not adverse to folk-influenced metal, but for some reason it's always fairly far down on my "to look for" list. I'll check the bands you rec'd :smile:

I'm sure I've listened to Trist on YT sometime while trawling through random black metal. I can't imagine they really stood out to me else I would have remembered them better!

I'm quite surprised you've ne'er heard of forefather, they're pretty famous.
Song from the new album released last month:

The Steadfast album is one of my all time metal favourites - every song is exactly as it should be.
I'm sure I've listened to Trist on YT sometime while trawling through random black metal. I can't imagine they really stood out to me else I would have remembered them better!

I'm quite surprised you've ne'er heard of forefather, they're pretty famous.
Song from the new album released last month:

The Steadfast album is one of my all time metal favourites - every song is exactly as it should be.

The Trist page on Last.FM seems to be a constant battle of "The German Trist are better".
"No, the Czech Trist is better".
Etc etc :tongue:
Hin-Fort (German Trist) is supposed to be one hell of an album, though I've yet to listen to it.

I'll get on finding some Forefather tonight, that song's really got me buzzing, cheers brah :yy:

Latest