The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6340
Just had a listen to some tracks from the new Germ album Wish. As an admirer of his earlier work in Austere and such I am not disappointed. It's quite interesting.

Original post by metalthrashin'mad
I can feel your pain. I had to restart my collection last year when my ipod was stolen.

Earlier this year as all my tags were screwed up on my itunes I decided to delete everything and re-add it bit by bit, fixing it as i went. Just got my punk and soundtracks to sort out now, but its taken about 2 months just to get this far. Not got as many songs as you, a mere 41k lol.

Fortunately I still have the files themselves, it's just a pain, especially seeing as I have a requirement for the library to be completely and beautifully tagged. And somehow, the library has managed to strip a good portion of the metadata.
Original post by Serentonin
Hi guys. Basically my laptop hd decided to kill itself and while I have a backup of most of my music, I'm missing about 1000 songs that I just can't think of at the moment, I'm sure I'll get there in time, but until then, does anyone have any recommendations for 'must haves' as such?

My taste isn't as hard as most of you but hey, I'll give most things a go. I generally like stuff such as sabbath, maiden, metallica, dimmu borgir, megadeth, amon amarth etc.

Thanks anyone who helps. :smile:

Erm... absolute metal 'must-haves' IMO:

Metallica - Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning
Sabbath - Everything up until and including 'Mob Rules'. Except for Technical Ecstasy
Death - First three
Maiden - All 80s stuff
Judas Priest - Everything except Ram It Down, Turbo, Jugulator and Nostradamus
Mayhem - Deathcrush, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Burzum - First four
Darkthrone - First four
Gorgoroth - Pentagram, Antichrist, Destroyer
Bathory - Discography
Morbid Angel - First three
Autopsy - First two
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Diamond Head - Lightning To The Nations
Slayer - First three
Napalm Death - First three
Terrorizer - World Downfall
Brutal Truth - Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Testament - The Legacy
Sarcofago - INRI
Sepultura - Everything up to and including Arise
Vulcano - Bloody Vengeance
Marduk - Panzer Division Marduk
Suffocation - Pre-millenium stuff
Venom - First two
Helloween - Keeper I, Helloween EP
Mercyful Fate - S/T EP, Don't Break The Oath, Melissa
King Diamond - Abigail
Demigod - Slumber Of Sullen Eyes
Demilich - Nespithe
Running Wild - Everything up to and including Black Hand Inn
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond, Imaginations From The Other Side
Carcass - First three
Bolt Thrower - Realm Of Chaos, War Master
Deep Purple - In Rock, Machine Head
Dissection - First two

This is very stream-of-consciousness, and I've missed tons, but if you're missing any of those you're missing out.
Oh, forgot, you probably won't like it but it's a classic of its genre:

Blasphemy - Fallen Angel Of Doom

Any death metal fans might enjoy these guys, I believe they're British as well :smile:

Edit: Is the link working?
(edited 12 years ago)
no megadeth in the list above saddens me.

I will also add Mandylion by the gathering to it. Love love love that album. Also left hand path by entombed and like an ever flowing stream by dismember for some essential swedeath
Reply 6346
DefiniteArticle's listed some good stuff, but if you like Death's first three there's a 95% chance you'll like their next four albums even more, because they're generally considered to be the better albums.
Original post by Betacra
DefiniteArticle's listed some good stuff, but if you like Death's first three there's a 95% chance you'll like their next four albums even more, because they're generally considered to be the better albums.

depends how proggy/techy you like your DM I guess, although I like the more primal stuff usually and still count human and spiritual healing as the best two.

Just get everything by death.
Reply 6348
depends how proggy/techy you like your DM I guess, although I like the more primal stuff usually and still count human and spiritual healing as the best two.

Says it best really, Death have one of the most solid discogs of all time.
Cheers guys, really appreciate that :biggrin: Will start working my way through the stuff I don't have :smile:

Aye, I've got to say I consider Scream Bloody Gore by far Death's best.

Actually, we should do this. Rank Death albums. :P

SBG>Human>Leprosy>ITP>Symbolic>Spiritual Healing>>>>>>>>>TSoP.
Reply 6351
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle

Symbolic > Human > The Sound of Perseverance > Individual Thought Patterns > Spiritual Healing > Scream Bloody Gore > Leprosy

I really hate having to rank their albums because they're all amazing for different reasons, although Leprosy is last the Death song I remember best (Forgotten Past) is on there.

Also the vocals on the first albums are better, but the guitar work is not only more technical but better composed in the later albums.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle

You think TSoP is their worst album?????!??!?! I think it's absolutely amazing
Reply 6353
Original post by seasons of wither
anybody else think My Arms, Your Hearse is one of Opeth's best albums? i'm curious :smile:

It's up there for sure.

It all depends what mood I'm in, but my Lastfm states that in the last three months it's the Opeth album I've listened to most by a distance. :wink:

Opeth ranking:

Still Life > My Arms, Your Hearse > Blackwater Park > Ghost Reveries > Deliverance > Orchid > Watershed > Damnation > Morningrise > Heritage

Heritage wasn't all that great, Morningrise is a little dull in parts imo.
What do people think of Sylosis?
Original post by AkaJetson
What do people think of Sylosis?

From what I've heard of them they're ok, not a band I would check out myself though.
Anyone going to Download this year? :biggrin:
Can't wait for it to be honest, especially is Black Sabbath are awesome.
Original post by Ocarinaoftime

Would like to, but moneys dictate that I can't. There are only like 5 bands I'm interested in anyway
Original post by Ocarinaoftime

I suspect more people will go now that Sonisphere got cancelled, the Download team are probably rubbing their hands with glee :tongue:

Latest