The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nichrome
Unfortunately not, camera decided to get water inside it and break the first day. The black metal gallery was loads and loads of old Darkthrone/Mayhem/Burzum/Trelldom/Old Funeral tapes/demos/t-shirts/flyers and the like. And a recreation of a shed where the 'inner circle' used to hang out. Went into the basement of Helvete (now a coffee shop) where 'Black Metal' is still written...and not much else.

Badass, really enjoyed Dodsengel's last full length, this should be great.

Edit: ****ing hell, two and a half hours? Guess this one isn't going to be an easy listening experience.

Eh, I found it easy enough. I'm sure most people that enjoy music spend that amount of time listening to it fairly frequently. And I never get when people (that apparently enjoy the music) claim that certain BM bands (and those of other 'extreme' genres) are 'difficult' to listen to. To me, it would be difficult to sit down and listen through a whole album of Justin Bieber or something similar, because I don't enjoy it. Aborym or Blut Aus Nord's MoRT, whatever. None of that is 'difficult'. I think people either claim it is to appear KEWL, or they don't really like it.

Anyway, this album rules.It seemed even slower paced than their previous releases, for the most part, which is fine. The vocals, which have always been really varied, are all over the place, and it's great. There's some female singer whose voice is fantastic. The music sounds substantially more 'experimental' a fair amount of the time (there's some srs dodgy carnival like vibe on certain tracks that reminds me of Oranssi Pazuzu if they were grim ritual witches from the caves and not... astronauts?) and whereas before their 'ROCKING' riffs always sounded to me like more typical BLACK METAL DOES ROCK, now some are more like the reversal.

People will undoubtedly criticize some of the ambient/instrumental sections as filler. But **** them.

Need to give this a few more listens to see if it beats Lunar Aurora. It's ahead of Lake of Blood, Mgla and Dodecahedron, fosho.

http://helligearg.bandcamp.com/ these guys seem really promising.
(edited 12 years ago)
'To see if it beats Lunar Aurora. It's ahead of... Mgla and Dodecahedron'

Implying that you think that distinctly mediocre LA album was better than those fantastic albums from the latter two?

Some music is difficult to listen to because it requires a lot of interaction and thinking about whilst you're listening to it. If you listen to something poppy, it's quite 'easy', because you hear a chorus throughout a song and you can practically sing along by the time the song finishes. Similarly, a very long album is difficult to listen to because the brain becomes desensitized to the same sort of music for that period of time. It's like going to a brutal death festival.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Judas Iscariot are pretty good.

Upon first listen I thought JI were fairly hit and miss tbh, although in saying that I only listened to Distant In Solitary Night and To Embrace The Corpses Bleeding. I liked a few songs from said albums, but overall I thought they were nothing special.
'To see if it beats Lunar Aurora. It's ahead of... Mgla and Dodecahedron'

Implying that you think that distinctly mediocre LA album was better than those fantastic albums from the latter two?

Some music is difficult to listen to because it requires a lot of interaction and thinking about whilst you're listening to it. If you listen to something poppy, it's quite 'easy', because you hear a chorus throughout a song and you can practically sing along by the time the song finishes. Similarly, a very long album is difficult to listen to because the brain becomes desensitized to the same sort of music for that period of time. It's like going to a brutal death festival.

No. Implying that I find the distinctly good LA album more enjoyable than a very good and promising debut and an album that is, whilst also enjoyable, more of the same (though I would say it's more accessible than previous releases, given that you've brought that up).

The debate around the Dodecahedron album is stupid. It's basically just retards calling it the best thing ever, which seems silly, but it always happens, and idiots saying it's a DsO rip off, which it's not. It's good, it's got some really cool riffs and I look forward to whatever they do next, but I don't think as an album it's as complete and rewarding as LA's.

As far as all the 'orthodox' black metal goes, I'd put the Nightbringer album ahead of Dodecahedron too.

And I don't buy your theorizing on 'easy' music, at least not as any universal kind of idea.

I don't see how you can argue that listening to a two hour album is 'hard' on the basis that you'll grow desensitized to the sound when a great many people are capable of listening to the same few songs for a similar period without any kind of effort or boredom.

I don't believe that any music requires any more interaction than the listener wishes to give it. That doesn't seem like an issue at all. People listen to what sounds good to them (at least if they're listening to it for enjoyment, and not because they want to be seen as liking X band, or whatever). I hear riffs all through the Dodsengel album that stand out to me, and are memorable, and I make no effort to look for them. A lot of people (most people? there are plenty pieces of classical music, for example, that I'm sure most people couldn't hum back accurately after hearing once, but many would agree that it sounded good and was emotive, something like Gorecki's 3rd symphony for example) do not need for a song to have choruses that they can recall after one listen and sing along to to find the music immediately enjoyable.

So, regarding the Dodsengel album, we get back to what I said originally, that the kind of people that genuinely see an album like this as a 'difficult' experience aren't really fans of it. At least not to the extent that it even seems worth their time sitting there trying to make themselves appreciate it, when in reality they are bored.
Reply 6424
Shu'p people, new Lunar Aurora album is ace.
Original post by concubine
x

First couple of minutes of Metamorphosis reminded me of Circle of Ouroborus (who I just couldn't get along with. I've never been a big fan of those sort of clean yet dischordant vocals). I'm glad the tempo picked up after a while, but at the same time I just can't get into the vocals, which is a shame because I'm really digging the guitar work.
Maybe it'll grow on me. Maybe not. Hard to tell as of yet.
Finally added the finishing touches to the first song of the new project today:
http://soundcloud.com/roscoe-1/caer-caradoc-the-majestic

Although I really need to start work and revision, I'm going to try and write the second song, which will be metal of some form. I have a few ideas in the bank, though they're mostly folk songs. Sometimes it feels as though this album will be more folk than metal.
Reply 6427
Ufomammut you beautiful bastards you did it again! Had completely forgot I pre-ordered this until it arrived today. :biggrin:

Ufomammut - Oro: Opus Primum

Definitely up there as one of the albums of the year so far. These guys have one of the most consistent discographies around.
Original post by Betacra
Shu'p people, new Lunar Aurora album is ace.

But... I WAS DEFENDING IT!!12

Original post by Betacra
These guys have one of the most consistent discographies around.

Such truth. Wish the second part wasn't months away.
Reply 6429
But... I WAS DEFENDING IT!!12

Nah bro, not you. TheDefiniteArticle.

Such truth. Wish the second part wasn't months away.

It'll come by really fast, I'm hoping to see them in London in a few weeks, that would be immense.

And I don't buy your theorizing on 'easy' music, at least not as any universal kind of idea.

I don't see how you can argue that listening to a two hour album is 'hard' on the basis that you'll grow desensitized to the sound when a great many people are capable of listening to the same few songs for a similar period without any kind of effort or boredom.

I don't believe that any music requires any more interaction than the listener wishes to give it. That doesn't seem like an issue at all. People listen to what sounds good to them (at least if they're listening to it for enjoyment, and not because they want to be seen as liking X band, or whatever). I hear riffs all through the Dodsengel album that stand out to me, and are memorable, and I make no effort to look for them. A lot of people (most people? there are plenty pieces of classical music, for example, that I'm sure most people couldn't hum back accurately after hearing once, but many would agree that it sounded good and was emotive, something like Gorecki's 3rd symphony for example) do not need for a song to have choruses that they can recall after one listen and sing along to to find the music immediately enjoyable.

So, regarding the Dodsengel album, we get back to what I said originally, that the kind of people that genuinely see an album like this as a 'difficult' experience aren't really fans of it. At least not to the extent that it even seems worth their time sitting there trying to make themselves appreciate it, when in reality they are bored.

Regarding what I said earlier about the new Dodsengel being a potentially difficult listen: perhaps 'difficult' was the wrong word, but some albums definitely require some effort or concentration to get the best listening experience. For me, Mirium Occultum/Paracletus/Nespithe are albums where the music is quite oppressive and chaotic, and sometimes require careful, repeated listens to really enjoy and get into, but they now rank amongst my favourite albums as I got an excellent listening experience out of them and enjoyed finding out and enjoying more with each repeated listen.

On the other hand with bands like Mgla and Taake where the melodic riffing and leads are pretty upfront in the music and catchy doesn't really require as much concentration to enjoy fully, but I like their albums just as much as above, but perhaps they are not as rewarding in the end? Maybe you don't get this type of thing and enjoy all albums up front? I dunno, I was just trying to explain when I said 'difficult' listen I did not mean an unenjoyable or frustrating listen, but one which requires a bit more effort on your behalf to enjoy.

Anyone given the new Borknagar a spin? Just about to give it a go now, hopefully it's better than the bore-fest of Universal.
Also, speaking of Ufomammut, my friends have (finally) released their demo, which is sorta a blackened-sludge type affair. They've opened for a lot of bands of that sort of music including Ufomammut, so check em out if you feel like it :wink: :

http://bastmusic.bandcamp.com/download?enc=mp3-320&id=2031202254&ts=1333476129.478671724&tsig=083650419b663cbc9a573a1b5559eeb0&type=album&orig=f959385864
Nomadic Pursuits was disappointing. They are great live.

y no share 'Rock Formations' or 'Perpetual Oyster'? Madness.

When did you get to see them live? I'd love to see them in the desert but I live in Scotland so there's no chance of that.

And, well, I didn't want to share EVERY song. :smile:
Original post by JaggySnake95
When did you get to see them live? I'd love to see them in the desert but I live in Scotland so there's no chance of that.

And, well, I didn't want to share EVERY song. :smile:

Both times in France. I don't think they've ever been in the UK.

Original post by Nichrome
Regarding what I said earlier about the new Dodsengel being a potentially difficult listen: perhaps 'difficult' was the wrong word, but some albums definitely require some effort or concentration to get the best listening experience. For me, Mirium Occultum/Paracletus/Nespithe are albums where the music is quite oppressive and chaotic, and sometimes require careful, repeated listens to really enjoy and get into, but they now rank amongst my favourite albums as I got an excellent listening experience out of them and enjoyed finding out and enjoying more with each repeated listen.

On the other hand with bands like Mgla and Taake where the melodic riffing and leads are pretty upfront in the music and catchy doesn't really require as much concentration to enjoy fully, but I like their albums just as much as above, but perhaps they are not as rewarding in the end? Maybe you don't get this type of thing and enjoy all albums up front? I dunno, I was just trying to explain when I said 'difficult' listen I did not mean an unenjoyable or frustrating listen, but one which requires a bit more effort on your behalf to enjoy.

Anyone given the new Borknagar a spin? Just about to give it a go now, hopefully it's better than the bore-fest of Universal.

MAYBE. I hear new things with repeated listening, but not through any kind of active searching.

The amount of stuff going on definitely doesn't lead to longer term enjoyment or greater sense of reward for me. Transylvanian Hunger has been one of my favourite albums for something like a decade now, and that's about as PRIMITIVE as you can get.

I've listening to The Olden Domain and The Archaic Course loads the past few days, first time I've listened to Borknagar properly in about 5 years. Haven't paid much attention at all to the past 4 or 5 albums. They're decent enough, but they're really lacking in the wow! of those two.

Original post by Betacra
It'll come by really fast, I'm hoping to see them in London in a few weeks, that would be immense.

fosho. Need get me a ticket.
Anyone know of any progressive metal/rock bands (with as much irregular and distorted time signatures as possible) where the bass is always very prominent?
Original post by ElationAndPathways
Anyone know of any progressive metal/rock bands (with as much irregular and distorted time signatures as possible) where the bass is always very prominent?

Atheist?
Atheist?

Thanks, I've heard of them before, not rly heard their music. But I don't rly hear thaaat much bass tbh :/ If you had any specific songs, it would help.

I know tool often have sections where the bass is very prominent. E.g. the beginnings of 42 degrees and the pot or in schism where the main riff is the bass's. More songs like that?

Only good band that come to mind for me is Ne Obliviscaris.
(edited 12 years ago)

Some Sikth might work out for you.
Listen to Virus.

Because, if you're not already listening to Virus, you should be.

HAIL CZRAL

Latest