The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

scar symmetry.
Reply 6781
Original post by concubine
Yeah, tracks 2 and 3 rule.

Just finished it, definitely top stuff from DsO and yea that was better than Paracletus.
Waiting for my copy of Drought to arrive in the post, really tempted to download it, though. Doubt I will be disappointed, everything they've done has been top notch.

Any other good BM been released this year? Been ignoring the genre too much lately.
The best releases album wise (well, the Laster one is just an EP or demo, but it's really strong and around 20mins so not overly short):

Lunar Aurora
Reverence
Rhinocervs (they've put out two more demos, or whatever their releases should be called, so if you take them together that's about 50mins of awesome)
Laster
Wodensthrone
Dodechaedron
Dodsengel
Ne Obliviscaris
Omega Centauri
Pact

Rahu just put out an album that's really quite good too, but I've not listened to it so much yet. Ab Imo Pectore's demo was good. Svartidauði's part of the split they released is awesome, but only one track. Vattnet Viskar's EP is solid stuff. And I discovered Arstiðir Lifsins the other day. Folky black metal with a choir and violins and **** but.... Unlike bands like Eluveitie, not totally ****ing gay.

And if you like 'blackgaze' Hypomanie's 'Calm Down, You Weren't Set On Fire' is quite good.
(edited 11 years ago)
Awesome. Heard the new Lunar Aurora which is great, though they will never top Zyklus. Heard the Dodechaedron album and found it quite bland, maybe I should give it another chance. The Omega Centauri stuff sounds right up my alley (from the UK?!) will definitely get that. Thanks.
Nope. Bull****. Plenty of us view the vocals (not just in metal. I'm listening to the Cocteau Twins right now and I have no idea what Elizabeth Fraser says 99% of the time, but she sounds amazing) as just another instrument, especially given that fact that many extreme metal bands sing in their own languages, and in a manner that makes deciphering the lyrics hard, if not impossible.

Oh, and most lyrics, regardless of genre, are just inane babble.

Well that music, in my opinion, is awful.

Of course some people may think lyrics aren't important, and that's up to them. But for me they're hugely important.
Original post by The Patriot
Well that music, in my opinion, is awful.

Of course some people may think lyrics aren't important, and that's up to them. But for me they're hugely important.

Hahaha. Everything from Cocteau Twins to Oranssi Pazuzu is awful?

Okay then. Your opinion is well and truly void.
Original post by Atomik

...and now you remember. :biggrin: Hahah. I remember speaking to you a long time ago, aye. Still listening to DSBM?

Yeah, but not as much as I used to. Bizarrely I've taken quite a liking to hip-hop recently, which although is out of character for me, isn't unwanted.

How's the band going?
and people can slag off BMTH because of their image, and that's fine, but at the end of the day, they're not like other deathcore/metalcore bands out there at the moment

I switched off as soon as I read this, purely due to the hilarity of it.
If you're going to make reference to a band who are "different", then don't make reference to a scene kid's wet dream band who are as unoriginal as their fans.

The only benefit of reading your post was that although your opinion clearly holds a lot of ignorance and generalisations, it was quite entertaining. You should do stand-up :h:
Reply 6789
I'm not going to rant, as music is all personal opinion. But Thrash metal, death metal and deathcore are genres I just can't get my head around.

Not really a big deal, didn't interest me in the slightest until about a year ago. Even then, I have 0 interest in deathcore and haven't really started looking into thrash. About 40% of the albums I've listened to fall under the emo/screamo/skramz category haha

Not only is it generic and boring, it drones on and has nothing exciting about it. Anything dark and grizzly is thrown into the title, i.e. death, blood, killing, end, chaos, suffer etc. It gets boring after a very short time. Read a list of these bands and the same words, themes, guitar tunings, chords, song structures and effects crop up time and time again.

Napalm Death are just awful IMO. I can't pretend to know many bands like that though, so I won't go off on one.

There's as much variation in death metal than in any other genre. Yeah they are a bunch of bands who sound really similar to each other but then you get that with everything. I'm not hugely keen on Napalm Death but then I've only heard Scum and their newest album so can't really judge them just on those releases.

Metalcore, whilst falling into the same sort of downward spiral is still be interesting to me, as is mathcore. I love Architects, and people can slag off BMTH because of their image, and that's fine, but at the end of the day, they're not like other deathcore/metalcore bands out there at the moment, They're ambitious and they don't settle on anything. All 3 of their albums have been different from the previous one. Alternative rock is still my favourite though.

I really went off metalcore about 6 months ago, never really bought into Architects , etc. I'm sure that in a few months time you'll maybe try listening to a death metal album or something and find that actually, there is something you enjoy about it. It might be the riffs, might be technical drumming, I have no idea but you'll probably find there's something, perhaps just a few bands that you do enjoy. No-one's saying that you have to like all of it..

Also Alexisonfire rule
Hahaha. Everything from Cocteau Twins to Oranssi Pazuzu is awful?

Okay then. Your opinion is well and truly void.

Of course, I generalize, because I have to. It's not feasible to listen to every single band in a certain genre. I know that my own personal criteria for the enjoyment of music is strong lyrics. So I can safely say that music without lyrics is going to suck.

My opinion isn't void. An opinion on a subjective issue can't be void. It's not like I have an opinion contrary to an observable fact is it? Don't be such a chauvinist. You're opinion isn't right and mine wrong. We just disagree. I don't go round people listening to that music and tell them to stop, I just said I don't understand how they like it. Don't get such a boner please.

Original post by Drunk Punx
I switched off as soon as I read this, purely due to the hilarity of it.
If you're going to make reference to a band who are "different", then don't make reference to a scene kid's wet dream band who are as unoriginal as their fans.

The only benefit of reading your post was that although your opinion clearly holds a lot of ignorance and generalisations, it was quite entertaining. You should do stand-up :h:

Unoriginal? BMTH aren't exactly groundbreaking I'll give you that, and certainly the image and supposed hotness of Oli Sykes probably does a fair bit for their popularity. But at the end of the day, it is different. I've never heard a band that's like BMTH. Similar yes, because it's a certain genre, but nothing that I couldn't tell the difference between. Oli also has a very distinctive screaming voice in the newer albums, probably because it's not strictly screaming the whole time.

And well done for having a go at me saying my argument is 'funny' rather than actually dealing with it. I would much rather you show me I'm wrong than just imply that I am but not actually tell me why. Seems very evasive, which is needless if you have the answers right?
Original post by adamstandage

I really went off metalcore about 6 months ago, never really bought into Architects , etc. I'm sure that in a few months time you'll maybe try listening to a death metal album or something and find that actually, there is something you enjoy about it. It might be the riffs, might be technical drumming, I have no idea but you'll probably find there's something, perhaps just a few bands that you do enjoy. No-one's saying that you have to like all of it..

Also Alexisonfire rule

Yes. Yes they do.

And fair enough. I admit it, I may well change my mind. About a year ago I absolutely HATED BMTH and metalcore bands. And I mean actively and openly hated on.

But after a while, getting past the image and the fan girls, I started to like it, bought an album, and never really looked back.
Reply 6792
I am new here!
Reply 6793
Yeah, but not as much as I used to. Bizarrely I've taken quite a liking to hip-hop recently, which although is out of character for me, isn't unwanted.

How's the band going?

the band has been very stagnant since 2008. I spoke to the guitarist a few days ago and asked if we could finally say that the band was over, but he said that one day something will happen. My hopes are very low, unfortunately, but if the ball does rolleth once more, I'll be over the moon. In the most depressive way possible, mind. :wink:

Yeah, I'm not so much of a DSBM fan these days. Still like some bands but I'm more of a dark psychedelic trance junkie. I produce it, too, so that's where my creative outlet lies these days.
My opinion isn't void. An opinion on a subjective issue can't be void.

You can't have a subjective opinion of such a wide range of bands/genres when you evidently have spent no time exploring them. So, yeah. It's void.

I don't go talking about reggae, because I've never enjoyed enough of what I've heard of it to warrant exploration of the genre.
(edited 11 years ago)
Unoriginal? BMTH aren't exactly groundbreaking I'll give you that, and certainly the image and supposed hotness of Oli Sykes probably does a fair bit for their popularity. But at the end of the day, it is different. I've never heard a band that's like BMTH. Similar yes, because it's a certain genre, but nothing that I couldn't tell the difference between. Oli also has a very distinctive screaming voice in the newer albums, probably because it's not strictly screaming the whole time.

And well done for having a go at me saying my argument is 'funny' rather than actually dealing with it. I would much rather you show me I'm wrong than just imply that I am but not actually tell me why. Seems very evasive, which is needless if you have the answers right?

All the answers have already been posted, so there's very little for me to say without parroting others, which would be a waste of time.

I don't understand what you're saying. In your original post you said that you dislike grindcore, etc etc, because it all sounds the same, but now you're turning around and saying that BMTH (they try to be grind, bless) sound different (as in, not the same, as you previously stated).
If one band sounds different to the rest, then it's a given that others do (and they do. Compare Insect Warfare, Leng Tch'e, and Ass To Mouth. Simples).
Reply 6796
All the answers have already been posted, so there's very little for me to say without parroting others, which would be a waste of time.

I don't understand what you're saying. In your original post you said that you dislike grindcore, etc etc, because it all sounds the same, but now you're turning around and saying that BMTH (they try to be grind, bless) sound different (as in, not the same, as you previously stated).
If one band sounds different to the rest, then it's a given that others do (and they do. Compare Insect Warfare, Leng Tch'e, and Ass To Mouth. Simples).

Been working my way through Insect Warfare's discog. At War With Grindcore is excellent
Insect Warfare are my favourite grindcore band.
You can't have a subjective opinion of such a wide range of bands/genres when you evidently have spent no time exploring them. So, yeah. It's void.

I don't go talking about reggae, because I've never enjoyed enough of what I've heard of it to warrant exploration of the genre.

But I have. It's impossible to listen to everything, so sure you guys can keep throwing obscure band after obscure band at me to try and make it look like I know absolutely nothing, but at the end of the day, I have looked into it. My general opinion is that that genre of music isn't enjoyable and I don't see how others like it.

I bet there's loads of people who would say "I don't like dubstep" despite hardly having listened to any of it. That includes me, as I have hated 99% of the dub crap I hate heard. It's no different here. No I haven't listened to every band in this genre, but what I have listened to I have found to be bad.

I don't get what the boner is here. If you told me you hated my genre'sw of music, I would go off on one telling you that you're opinion is invalid and that you're wrong. I would just accept the fact that you hate it and move on. Why can't you just accept that I don't like it? Especially when, despite your empty claim, I have given it a try.

BMTH don't try to be grindcore. No they don't. They just don't. Their first album was death, but now it's metalcore. Truth be told, they've kind of taken on their own version of it. Love it or hate it, they are fairly original. Hence why they get so much more hate than similar bands.

Latest