The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
conoraq
To those of you who have yet to sample the delights of Dream Theater (progressive virtuosic metal), Opeth (progressive black metal / melodic blues rock) or Mastodon (progressive grindcore crossover metal), do so immediately! Progressive metal rules all!

Also check out System Of A Down's first and third albums - System Of A Down and Steal This Album - theyre way better than Toxicity if you're into experimental/progressive metal

Ok ace bands mentioned there like!
Though Mastodon don't and never have played grindcore, that's more like Napalm Death and Pig Destroyer
Opeth play Prog Melodic Death but still rock all the same.

Steal This Album is the best, it really got me into them. Nothing wrong with toxicity but aint their best work. The first album must have been made when doped up to the eyeballs :smile:
Reply 61
Pink Sapphires - Nickelback?! really!? i would be embarrased to admit that :p:

Silent Hill - legend! who else do you like? Those songs are all amazing though seems like you only listen to singles. Get KsE's first album!
Reply 62
SmilerNuts
Ok ace bands mentioned there like!
Though Mastodon don't and never have played grindcore, that's more like Napalm Death and Pig Destroyer
Opeth play Prog Melodic Death but still rock all the same.

Steal This Album is the best, it really got me into them. Nothing wrong with toxicity but aint their best work. The first album must have been made when doped up to the eyeballs :smile:

Mastodon do have a grind influence and a hardcore influence - hence they have a grindcore influence - compare their first album and "Bladecatcher" on Blood Mountain to Terrifyer by Pig Destroyer and you'll see the similarities

Opeth arent death metal - the only death metal characteristic they have is the low pitch rasp vocals they use sparingly on their later albums... death metal is more virtuosic, faster and more aggressive, whereas Opeth's music focuses on creating atmosphere and their arent a huge amount of guitar solos. Death metal is neanderthal music - Opeth are way too intelligent to be lumped in that category
Opeth are somewhere between death and black metal I think, they are actually pretty technical and progressive but because it isn't played at breakneck speed it isn't always obvious.
Reply 64
its true - in songs like The Leper Affinity, White Cluster and The Drapery Falls they show off their full instrumental skills
Reply 65
I agree more with SunburnedCactus on this one. Death metal can be really complex and technical, it's not all simple and "neanderthal" like. Opeth do have a death metal influence, but as i said they are prog death so they play more complex stuff. Yes, there is some black metal there but death is a bigger influence imo.
Fair enough, i only have Leviathan at the moment but from what i've heard i'd say Mastodon were prog with a Southern Rock, almost stoner influence thrown in, what with the giant riffs etc.
Reply 66
Leviathan is, by comparison, quite melodic and laid back compared to Remission.
Check out Blood Mountain - its hyper technical, especially the song Capillarian Crest
Reply 67
Oh yeah, the first single. I never really got the chance to hear it.
Maybe i'll give them another chance. I'm not actually a big fan of Mastodon type stuff normally but i make an exception for them :smile:
SmilerNuts
whatever happened to that old thread? can't seem to find it using the search engine so time to start a new one methinks?

it's here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=201480&page=40
but nobody posts in there anymore, poor thread :frown:

anyway, I'm off to see Dream Theater this october in manchester!!!! :biggrin::biggrin: I'm sooo excited!!! :biggrin: *jumps with joy*
Darkened Angel
it's here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=201480&page=40
but nobody posts in there anymore, poor thread :frown:

anyway, I'm off to see Dream Theater this october in manchester!!!! :biggrin::biggrin: I'm sooo excited!!! :biggrin: *jumps with joy*

Lucky you! Missed them when they came up to Newcastle for the first time ever. Grrrrrr. You better enjoy it, or there will be trouble!
SunburnedCactus
Lucky you! Missed them when they came up to Newcastle for the first time ever. Grrrrrr. You better enjoy it, or there will be trouble!

awww thats too bad :frown: and course i'll enjoy it! they're my favourite band! :biggrin: and i love the new album! i really hope they play Images & Words, apparently they're playing that album at 12 different shows but havent stated which. It's one of my favourites, would love to hear it live!
I suspect it will mainly be about the new album, but there are some proper classics on Images & Words (Learning To Live is my favourite, but they're all good!).
Reply 72
Oh well, i'm glad we started a new one then :smile:

I've never really heard Dream Theater. they're that classic symphonic metal band aren't they?
They are the prog metal poster boys of the 90s. They are pretty epic so you could call them symphonic, but they are a genuinely incredibly technical band, notable in the fact that pretty much every member is a virtuoso on their instrument. Well... I guess James LaBrie is ok :p:
Reply 74
James LaBrie? You make him sound famous but i've never heard of him lol :s-smilie:

Oh didn't they release Octavarium (?) a few years back or is that some other totally differnt band?
SmilerNuts
Oh well, i'm glad we started a new one then :smile:

I've never really heard Dream Theater. they're that classic symphonic metal band aren't they?

They're progressive, not strictly progressive metal though. They're a very talented band and no word in the world can describe them! :biggrin: You should really give them a listen! They really are something!
SmilerNuts
James LaBrie? You make him sound famous but i've never heard of him lol :s-smilie:

Oh didn't they release Octavarium (?) a few years back or is that some other totally differnt band?

Yeah they did, thats meant to be one of their best albums although I still need to give it a listen.

btw James LaBrie is the singer, he's really good imo.
Sometimes they get described as neo-prog. They were one of the few popular prog bands (along with Rush, Porcupine Tree etc) after the bad times of the 80s. In any case yes, you really need to listen to see.
Reply 78
i'll give them a go but none of the bands you just mentioned suit my tastes. Prog doesn't really do it for me but we'll see
SmilerNuts
i'll give them a go but none of the bands you just mentioned suit my tastes. Prog doesn't really do it for me but we'll see

Guess it's time for you to broaden your taste :p: DT's albums vary a lot, they have slow stuff and heavier stuff. I'm sure you'll find something to your liking. I'd recommend listening to Train of Thought, it's their heaviest album to date and my favourite :smile: The song In The Name Of God has the best guitar solo ever! :biggrin:

Latest