The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My friend (who also works as a part time recording engineer) has an EP coming out soon, here's a track from it:
https://fanocto.bandcamp.com/track/gravitational-time-dilation
He says it's inspired by extreme metal and the film Interstellar. He normally records everything himself at home and he's damn good at it. He's a very good guitarist too, although I've never seen him play in person, just from videos. For example, in this track he goes somewhere along the lines of tech death and something else but I don't really know what to call it:

I'm really impressed by the bass sweep picking, personally.
These two surprise me - not because of the bands involved, but because both bands have substantially better albums out there.
Really happy Insomnium just announced UK tour dates for next Jan :biggrin:

Between them and Lordi it's like Xmas come early!
Original post by Manitude
My friend (who also works as a part time recording engineer) has an EP coming out soon, here's a track from it:
https://fanocto.bandcamp.com/track/gravitational-time-dilation
He says it's inspired by extreme metal and the film Interstellar. He normally records everything himself at home and he's damn good at it. He's a very good guitarist too, although I've never seen him play in person, just from videos. For example, in this track he goes somewhere along the lines of tech death and something else but I don't really know what to call it:

I'm really impressed by the bass sweep picking, personally.

Holy crap that's impressive. I've never seen sweeping used on a bass before.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Holy crap that's impressive. I've never seen sweeping used on a bass before.

Neither had I until I saw Fan do it in that video. I have since someone do it on a five string bass but the first time is always the most impressive I think.
Calling all fans of stoner rock:

Instrumental.

Also instrumental.

Something a little more up-tempo. Riff-tastic.

Haven't listened through the entire album yet, but so far it's been heavy and psychedelic in fairly equal measure. Seems instrumental at first, but vocals do kick in eventually.

You can't not like an album entitled Space Muffin.

Can't embed video because boobs, but this album's got a real dirty Southern vibe to it despite the band hailing from Russia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxme_h2QN6U

The guitarist from Earthless has released another album with his band, Golden Void. Talented guy, well worth a listen.

And we'll finish up with Planet Of Zeus' latest offering. Anyone who's familiar with their previous works will know what to expect from this one. Heavy, dirty, riffy goodness.
So near where I live ia a village called Heysham which was hosting the Heysham Viking Festival this weekend. So I went to that and had a look around, but more importantly the Best Of Black Sabbath album art was photographed just around the corner. That was pretty cool.
Blink 182 are shite, a new study found

Posted from TSR Mobile
So near where I live ia a village called Heysham which was hosting the Heysham Viking Festival this weekend. So I went to that and had a look around, but more importantly the Best Of Black Sabbath album art was photographed just around the corner. That was pretty cool.

Was the festival any good? What sort of stuff was going on?
Was the festival any good? What sort of stuff was going on?

It was a pretty standard small-town-funfair-for-kids meets a pretty standard viking reenactment group. I'm a reenactor too, but of a slightly later time period. In general I think the encampment was pretty good (although given that the time period is only a few hundred years before my period it's similar) but the standard of the combat was quite bad. Things that perhaps a general audience member might not notice but as a reenactor of a similar period who does combat, I am looking at the fight with different eyes. Having relayed what I saw to other reenactors and discussing what I saw with one of the people from my group who was also at the festival, we agreed the standard was poor. I did speak to a few of the viking reenactors, though, and they were pretty nice on the whole.
I hung around with this guy at school, one day he picked up a guitar and a week or so later he could play the entirety of Master Of Puppets. It was a pretty amazing thing to behold :lol:
These days he seems to mostly make metal versions of video game music.

Blink 182 are shite

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stumbled upon a really interesting re-working of Hey Joe.

Shiiiiiiiiit!

About time they put something new out.
I hung around with this guy at school, one day he picked up a guitar and a week or so later he could play the entirety of Master Of Puppets. It was a pretty amazing thing to behold :lol:
These days he seems to mostly make metal versions of video game music.

It's annoying when people are talented like that! I just have to hope that their talents are balanced out by some deficiency somewhere else, like they need someone to dress them in the morning or something.
It's annoying when people are talented like that! I just have to hope that their talents are balanced out by some deficiency somewhere else, like they need someone to dress them in the morning or something.

haircut imo
A friend just sent me this:

It's really groovy stoner rock and I love it.
Hey Guys!

I'd like to listen to some more Black and Death metal, what bands would you suggest I could listen to?
Original post by Eternalflames
Hey Guys!

I'd like to listen to some more Black and Death metal, what bands would you suggest I could listen to?

Agalloch. Try Agalloch.
Original post by Eternalflames
Hey Guys!

What have you heard already?

Personally I'd start with the classics. For death metal, that's something like (going for a good mix):

Death - Leprosy
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten

Black metal:

Mayhem - De Mysteriis dom Sathanas
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Sarcofago - I.N.R.I.
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky

and then ask for more :smile:

Regarding Agalloch, I'd certainly give them a go, but they're not really where I'd recommend people to start. Most people I know who like Agalloch don't really like black metal. Start with Ashes Against the Grain with them.

Latest