The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
What have you heard already?

Personally I'd start with the classics. For death metal, that's something like (going for a good mix):

Death - Leprosy
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten

Black metal:

Mayhem - De Mysteriis dom Sathanas
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Sarcofago - I.N.R.I.
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky

and then ask for more :smile:

Regarding Agalloch, I'd certainly give them a go, but they're not really where I'd recommend people to start. Most people I know who like Agalloch don't really like black metal. Start with Ashes Against the Grain with them.

Thanks for the list, I shall check them out :smile:

I've already listened to songs by Burzum, Mayhem, Leviathan, Xasthur, Windir, Taake, Dark Funeral and a few other random ones. I haven't heard much death metal but the ones I did were random listenings, so I don't remember the names :redface:
Original post by Eternalflames
Thanks for the list, I shall check them out :smile:

I've already listened to songs by Burzum, Mayhem, Leviathan, Xasthur, Windir, Taake, Dark Funeral and a few other random ones. I haven't heard much death metal but the ones I did were random listenings, so I don't remember the names :redface:

With extreme metal, definitely listen to albums, rather than songs. You'll find it a much better experience.
Original post by shaunobrien1

I've always enjoyed Michael Schenker's work in UFO and Scorpions, though it's a shame he always comes across as a piece of work.
Original post by DJMayes
I've always enjoyed Michael Schenker's work in UFO and Scorpions, though it's a shame he always comes across as a piece of work.

yeah definitely.
Hey Guys!

I'd like to listen to some more Black and Death metal, what bands would you suggest I could listen to?

This is one of my favourite black metal albums:

Fen's later material is less raw from a production point of view, their first albums (The Malediction Fields) will probably always be my favourite. Some of the later material is more melodic/quiet and some of it is more aggressive, but it just lacks the charm and defiant atmosphere of the first album.

Also throwing in a bonus track of my friend's band:

I was in the crowd for that recording.
One of the best metal performances ever , gives me goosebumps

https://youtu.be/Nxrpaa51o4k
Original post by Manitude
This is one of my favourite black metal albums:

Fen's later material is less raw from a production point of view, their first albums (The Malediction Fields) will probably always be my favourite. Some of the later material is more melodic/quiet and some of it is more aggressive, but it just lacks the charm and defiant atmosphere of the first album.

Also throwing in a bonus track of my friend's band:

I was in the crowd for that recording.

Thank you!
Your friend's band sounds good :biggrin:
Thank you!
Your friend's band sounds good :biggrin:

No problem. He's pretty good at writing black metal tunes. He's involved with loads of bands including (but not limited to) Helvellyn, Glaramara, Torver, Thy Dying Light, Volition666 (OK, they're not black metal but never mind) as well as Ulfarr. I think there may be more I've forgotten.
New Harakiri For The Sky has dropped.

Haven't given it a whirl yet, will do so tomorrow.
Insurgency have a new EP coming out soon, they've dropped a raw version of one of the tracks:

They recorded their new EP in the function room of our local pub.
So Fenriz is now an elected politician.
http://www.factmag.com/2016/09/12/fans-elect-black-metal-legend-fenriz-to-town-council-darkthrone/
“Basically, I have to step in when the usual people who go to the big meetings are sick or something. Then I have to go sit there and feel stupid among the straight people,” he told CLRVYNT, later adding “I’m a pillar of my community.”

I found the last bit hilarious.
That's amazing :lol:

The Insurgency track is pretty decent too.
The new Brujeria video (Plata O Plomo) is pretty brutal. Not going to directly link the video from YouTube as it's got graphic uncensored images of cartel murder victims. I'm honestly surprised it's allowed on YouTube. The song itself is kinda "Meh".
Original post by Drunk Punx
That's amazing :lol:

The Insurgency track is pretty decent too.

Aye, it's not their best but I'm looking forward to the EP coming out in a few weeks.

Also, it's only like three weeks until the Blackwood Gathering. It's gonna be awesome :biggrin:
Nespithe's vocals are incredible. I can get why people wouldn't like them, but even so, the instrumentals are close to GOAT death metal standard.

Had to go through so many pages to find this. I got my headphones to work briefly a few weeks ago so I tried out Nespithe...

Wow. Wow wow wow. Once I got over the vocals I enjoyed it so much :heart:

One of the comments on the video suggested the band was influenced by a certain Bolt Thrower album, Realm of Chaos I think it was? Should I try that next? :beard:

I can't remember where I saw it, but I'm surprised you like any BTBAM at all :wizard:
Original post by + polarity -
Had to go through so many pages to find this. I got my headphones to work briefly a few weeks ago so I tried out Nespithe...

Wow. Wow wow wow. Once I got over the vocals I enjoyed it so much :heart:

One of the comments on the video suggested the band was influenced by a certain Bolt Thrower album, Realm of Chaos I think it was? Should I try that next? :beard:

I can't remember where I saw it, but I'm surprised you like any BTBAM at all :wizard:

I don't think Realm of Chaos is at all similar, but it's awesome and my second favourite BT album so I'd give it a go anyway. :wink:

And yeah, that surprises me too. :tongue:
Hey guys, just wanted your opinions on my question here:

Should I not listen to a metal band that has racist views because I'm not white?
I feel like I shouldn't be listening to their music because they despise my race, and probably don't want people of other ethnicities listening to their stuff :/
Hey guys, just wanted your opinions on my question here:

Should I not listen to a metal band that has racist views because I'm not white?
I feel like I shouldn't be listening to their music because they despise my race, and probably don't want people of other ethnicities listening to their stuff :/

If it upsets them, all the more reason to do so. **** their backward views. However, if you yourself feel uncomfortable listening to the music, that's a different thing - music is supposed to be an enjoyable experience.

Personally (I'm white), I will listen to music which espouses dumb, discriminatory views, but I won't buy it.
If it upsets them, all the more reason to do so. **** their backward views. However, if you yourself feel uncomfortable listening to the music, that's a different thing - music is supposed to be an enjoyable experience.

Personally (I'm white), I will listen to music which espouses dumb, discriminatory views, but I won't buy it.

Thanks for your reply :smile:

It's just a feeling I had for a long time, because I like Burzum but Varg is so racist. I checked out his YouTube channel and he doesn't hold back in offending others, each to their own I guess, but yeah.
Although the music itself doesn't have explicit discriminatory lyrics, unlike NSBM etc(which I will never listen to), some metal bands have stated they don't want non-white people to listen to their music, so I don't know how to go about that. It's like, I like the music, but if it's not meant for me I shouldn't be listening to it :/

Latest