The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
RJA
Abgott were alright live (they did a Megadeth cover) and their album 'Fizala' was listenable, but their new stuff is dire... Besides, they're not even British, they're Italian!

And good luck with Lyrinx in 2008 Atomik :wink: Hopefully I'll be studying in London next year and I'll actually be able to get to some BM gigs :smile:

Well they're based in London so....close enough =p

Was just curious anyways cos I'm not usually that into BM but I've been following their progress for just over a year as the guitarists are my friend's guitar teachers.
Reply 1001
I suppose they would be good guitar teachers. The lead guitarist was very talented.

However, technical ability and black metal don't usually go hand in hand...It's just Abgott's (new) music is very technical.
What makes black metal in your opinion if not technicality? Being possessed by some evil spirit? :p:
Atmosphere/emotion in my view. :smile:
Reply 1004
Yeah. Alot of black metal albums are really basic technically (completely amateur production - often on purpose), which is what gives it some charm and variation.
There's something about really beautiful, simple melody playing out in a sea of almost white noise that sometimes just blows me away :smile:
Reply 1006
Definitely. The best part is listening a few times, and spotting new melodies that you couldn't hear before :smile:
Yeah, it's far better than any melody that's completely in your face straight away.
I dunno. The production can get annoying if every song on every album is just noise. Having the occasional audible bit would make me enjoy it so much more I think.
I think a really good example of a Black Metal album with production that hurts your ears, yet is amazing following a couple of listens would be Nattens Madrigal by Ulver. Under that static is some of the most beautiful and powerful music ever created. It is a wonderful feeling when you discover it.

If you want Black Metal where the melody is a little more easy to find, try Amesoeurs, Dawn, Dissection, (Early) Enslaved, Kvist, Satyricon - Nemesis Divina, Summoning, Ulver - Bergttat, Vinterland, Sacramentum and Windir. Many more as well but those are the ones I can think of at the moment. :smile:
Reply 1010
black metal? lol... enjoy life with some Kinks, monkees, yardbirds, bob dilan, byrds, stones, ac/dc, the animals, mamas and papas...preferably with a pipe.
^ I wouldn't listen to black metal if I didn't enjoy it. :|
Reply 1012
I think a really good example of a Black Metal album with production that hurts your ears, yet is amazing following a couple of albums would be Nattens Madrigal by Ulver. Under that static is some of the most beautiful and powerful music ever created. It is a wonderful feeling when you discover it.

Great story behind that album. They had just signed with Century, who gave them a big budget, which they then spent on themselves. They recorded the album in the middle of the woods (apparently), and then were promptly dropped from the label :biggrin:
Lol yeah I've heard that. It would explain the production at least. :biggrin:
J2890
black metal? lol... enjoy life with some Kinks, monkees, yardbirds, bob dilan, byrds, stones, ac/dc, the animals, mamas and papas...preferably with a pipe.

You can't even spell Bob Dylan...

If you don't like metal then why post here?
Yay! Sonata Arctica have announced a UK Tour at last- Woo-hoo!
Reply 1016
its rock and metal no?...but yea i'll go away.
Ooo Anaal Nathrakh gig in London in May :smile: Definately something I wanna make it to.
JesterFromHell
Ooo Anaal Nathrakh gig in London in May :smile: definitely something I wanna make it to.

I want to see them live pretty badly. Will wait till they play Birmingham though I think.. :cool:
Well I certainly hope they do :smile:

Latest