The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rob_dob
Anyone seeing megadeth this sunday?

I saw them on Saturday, they were ace! Though I missed half of the set due to the fact that I had a heat stroke cause it was so hot in there :s-smilie: Could still here it from the outside but its not the same. Oh well. I saw all of Evile and they were amazing! And Job For A Cowboy just got booed :p:
Darkened Angel
I saw them on Saturday, they were ace! Though I missed half of the set due to the fact that I had a heat stroke cause it was so hot in there :s-smilie: Could still here it from the outside but its not the same. Oh well. I saw all of Evile and they were amazing! And Job For A Cowboy just got booed :p:

Understandable really, they don't exactly fit in there.
You alright now though??
SmilerNuts
Understandable really, they don't exactly fit in there.
You alright now though??

hehe yeah I'm just fine, my bf caught me when I collapsed and dragged me outside. We sat outside for the duration of the gig. Unluckily I lost my shoes while he was dragging me out, so at the end we went back in to look for them, found only one shoe lol :p: So I spent half the night walking around Manchester with only one shoe :p: We crashed at one of my mates mates houses for a while and they gave me a spare pair of shoes which was good of them :biggrin: We got back to the bus station for 7am and went back to sheffield, spent all day catching up on lost sleep :p: What a night lol, the things we do for gigs! :rolleyes:
Got a request to join the soc written in text speak, asking if we could talk about funk and indie/new wave here too :s-smilie:
SmilerNuts
Got a request to join the soc written in text speak, asking if we could talk about funk and indie/new wave here too :s-smilie:

lol nuff bout ur silly mettal lets hav sum killerz & the bravry :smile: :smile: :cool:

lol
SunburnedCactus
lol nuff bout ur silly mettal lets hav sum killerz & the bravry :smile: :smile: :cool:

lol

:rofl:
Makes you wonder just how far people want to stretch the metal tag these days.
At least as far as the space between their brain cells. :s-smilie:

It's hard to think about genres without over-defining things and causing muchos aggro. Well, I like genres but a lot of the time I end up tagging tracks as "other".
Windows Media Player has tagged half of my stuff as "Acid-Jazz". Yeah, go figure...

The second you try and pigeonhole a band into one genre they'll turn round and make an album so radically different that it screws up your tag, the label "great ****ing music" is enough for me.
I sorted out my music collection a while back and decided to tag genres according to wikipedia and last.fm.

For example, I have Black Metal, Death Metal, Folk Metal, Thrash Metal etc.

Some bands have genres such as as Melodic Death Metal, Symphonic Black Metal etc, but I tend not to go into any further details.

In total, I have just over 300 artists sorted into 30 genres.
Reply 1189
I bought tickets for Turisas next week, was thinking of getting an album so I actually recognise more than just battle metal ( and they are both only £7 each at a local shop ).... so which one should I get, Battle Metal or The Varangian Way?
wicker_man
I sorted out my music collection a while back and decided to tag genres according to wikipedia and last.fm.

For example, I have Black Metal, Death Metal, Folk Metal, Thrash Metal etc.

Some bands have genres such as as Melodic Death Metal, Symphonic Black Metal etc, but I tend not to go into any further details.

In total, I have just over 300 artists sorted into 30 genres.

Yeah, I keep meaning to get round to that but don't you find it takes up way too much of your time?

Currently still listening to High On Fire :cool:
Keeno89
I bought tickets for Turisas next week, was thinking of getting an album so I actually recognise more than just battle metal ( and they are both only £7 each at a local shop ).... so which one should I get, Battle Metal or The Varangian Way?

Are you seeing them in Sheffield? I'm going to that one, cant wait! I auite like their second album, dont know them well enough though but so far the second album has stood out more to me. I really hope they play Rasputin at the gig, that would be ace! :biggrin:
I'd imagine he'd be going to the one in Aberdeen :wink:
SmilerNuts
Yeah, I keep meaning to get round to that but don't you find it takes up way too much of your time?

I decided to work on sorting out all artists beginning with one letter a day (just when I get a few spare moments a day), so it took me about a month in total, but now all of my music is sorted out with album details and artwork in iTunes.

I'm tempted to get tickets to see Turisas/Norther/Alestorm, but I need to find somebody to go with because the closest place (to Portsmouth) is Southampton, so I'd need to get a train there, and then one from So'ton Central to one near the Brook.
Reply 1194
wicker_man
I decided to work on sorting out all artists beginning with one letter a day (just when I get a few spare moments a day), so it took me about a month in total, but now all of my music is sorted out with album details and artwork in iTunes.

I'm tempted to get tickets to see Turisas/Norther/Alestorm, but I need to find somebody to go with because the closest place (to Portsmouth) is Southampton, so I'd need to get a train there, and then one from So'ton Central to one near the Brook.

Well I'm an expert on rail and bus travel to and from Southampton and onwards. The brook is in Portswood road, you can get a bus from just outside the station across the road to there. It's near the University so you could also use the U services and walk from their stops. Or you could just get an ordinary bus service that will take you there or close as damn it from Soton Central. Swaythling is the closest station, also will have a regular bus service to closer to the venue. But it's a sparrows fart from there to the venue anyway. And there are regular train services to Swaythling.
I sort out my music on iTunes and in the folder/s religiously, but I don't dare bother going into genre, I just delete everything from that part of the file.
SmilerNuts
I'd imagine he'd be going to the one in Aberdeen :wink:

K so from myspace I'm liking the sound of poison the well :yy:

Which is the best album to buy to get into them?
Seanisonfire
K so from myspace I'm liking the sound of poison the well :yy:

Which is the best album to buy to get into them?

Finally you understand! I had faith in you man :smile:

Personally I'd say start off with You Come Before You and then follow that up with either Tear From The Red or Versions (which is the new one), depends which myspace songs you liked best though I suppose.
SmilerNuts
Finally you understand! I had faith in you man :smile:

Personally I'd say start off with You Come Before You and then follow that up with either Tear From The Red or Versions (which is the new one), depends which myspace songs you liked best though I suppose.

I think i preferred the You Come Before You one......erm what was it called....Long melodic intro. I shall dig deeper and then decide :teeth:
Seanisonfire
I think i preferred the You Come Before You one......erm what was it called....Long melodic intro. I shall dig deeper and then decide :teeth:

Yeah, that'll be "A) The view from here is... B) A brick wall", tis my fave song on their myspace too. Seems like we've got the same taste so you may as well get YCBY. Ghostchant is their most famous song from that, should be on Youtube.

Latest