The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I saw Opeth at Exeter University, they were alright.

Anyone like thrash/death metal here? or just the typical metal bands like Dragonforce/Nightwish/Children of Bodom/Metallica?
On a proper tour they play a full set, hour/hour and a half.

And yeah, plenty of fans of "non-typical" metal here.
Reply 1922
PeaceSells
LOL.

Speaking of Dragonforce, if look up the cover art of the album The Fire And The Wind by Demoniac (Nzl) you will see Sam Totman in all his glory (Demoniac was the band a number of Dragonforce members used to belong to). I'd post it here but I'm not sure whether I'd be breaking any rules.

Is that the one with the bum sex? :biggrin:
How do I join this society? :p:

I know that Dragonforce used to be a ninja band before in NZL, that was ridiculously funny. But I have not heard of anything else other than that..?
RJA
Is that the one with the bum sex? :biggrin:

Fo'real. :smile:
blahbloo
How do I join this society? :p:

I know that Dragonforce used to be a ninja band before in NZL, that was ridiculously funny. But I have not heard of anything else other than that..?

Head here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=list&page=10 and find it on the list then wait for smileynads to approve you.
Thank you, SunburnedCactus! :wink:
Cool, I've accepted you. Welcome to the soc :smile:
Reply 1928
Well, I'm definitely not going to Damnation. Negura Bunget are playing London on the 22nd, and I can't miss that...

Hopefully they won't taunt me by adding more good bands :p:
Negura who?
Reply 1930
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8wB7emt6ig

I was hoping they might be added to Damnation, along with Primordial and a few others. But obviously not..
My internet is barely working but it sounded ok from what I could hear. The clean vocal was a bit dodgy though :s-smilie:

Lol yeah, hoping your fave bands would all go eh.

Actually there's a question: what would everyones dream festival lineup be?
Reply 1932
Oh, and there's a new Dragonforce track here:

http://www.myspace.com/dragonforce

It's not great...but it's not as cringing as I thought it would be. I don't think ZP can sing as well anymore...
Negura Bunget is awesome. Will try to get there as well as Damnation.
Reply 1934
At the moment, the Damnation organisers are looking into booking a second stage headliner that can somewhat 'rival' Carcass. Basically, they need a band to divide the crowd because theres no way they can have EVERYONE watching Carcass because of capacity. Head over to the forums and leave yout thoughts but I trust they've already got something up their sleeve.

I'm hoping for Isis, but then I'm a great big Isis fanboy, so. It'd make sense for their travelling arrangements as they'll be at ATP the next week or so down in Minehead, and I reckon Isis would pull a huge crowd, being at the forefront of the post-metal movement beneath Neurosis and ahead of Pelican, Jesu, etc. Man, I'd love Isis so much but I'm doubtful.

Oh, and my perfect festival line up...

ISIS
Mastodon
Rosetta
Atlantis
Send More Paramedics
Municipal Waste

It'd start fast and thrashy, and then slow to some real great trudging distorted buzziness accompanied by some crushing riffs, then speed up again with Mastodon, then slow down again for Isis. I don't know why it would be like that, but right now it sounds like a blesssssing.
Do you know what, as much as I love thrash, I have not really checked out MW. I only listen to old thrash, not the the modern thrash bands like Municpal Waste. What albums do you recommend of theirs? :p:

Edit- thanks for accepting me into the soc! :biggrin:
Reply 1936
Oh, Municipal Waste are just as 80's as, say, Sodom, only if anything, faster! Nah, I dunno about that but 'Waste are really something. Avoid the new album, but get Hazardous Mutation. Face-ripping thrash/punk crossover about The Thing, sharks, beer and stage-diving with actual surfboards. Awesome.

It's too bad they've got a quite big over here now because it means they're playing bigger venues, when a few years ago I was watching them play on no-barrier stages no more raised then the crowd itself. It was madness! I'm not a great big fan of mosh-pitting (not anymore, at least) but these guys know how to get the crowd moving. They're still great now, but when they were playing basements in pubs... those were good times.
Reply 1937
Yeah, my perfect lineup would include:

Isis
Primordial
Negura Bunget
Wintersun
Anaal Nathrakh

and then perhaps some other British bands like Wodensthrone, Architects, Johnny Truant...and what the hell...Alestorm :biggrin:

But seeing as I can't go, I hope none of those are announced! :rolleyes:
Reply 1938
RJA

and then perhaps some other British bands like Wodensthrone, Architects, Johnny Truant...and what the hell...Alestorm :biggrin:

LOL at Architects in a festival.... they are pretty bad live judging by when Smiler and I saw them. Nightmares was a good album but I really dislike the new vocalist.... only one that did like them when we saw them was that emo fanboy right in front of the stage :p: goes by the name of Smilernuts :ninja:
The new Dragonforce track really isn't impressive :frown:

And my ultimate festival lineup would include:

Agalloch
Anaal Nathrakh
Wintersun
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Sonata Arctica
Rush
Taake
Manegarm

If only... :biggrin:

Latest