The Student Room Group

Do any art colleges still like more traditional work?

I love art, but I can't decide between an art degree and a history degree. So much of the degree work I've seen, even from the most prestigious places, seems to be installation and conceptual art, which I really don't like or plan on doing. Eg. the Ruskin's show had about 3 painters out of around 15 students.
Anyone think there is still room for painting (that looks like what its meant to be) is art colleges, and if so, where?
Generally so long as you can justify what you're doing, and it's good, you shouldn't have a problem. My painting isn't exactly abstract and I got into Falmouth.

Anyway, if you're not sure you should do a foundation course (you generally have to if you want to do an art degree anyway). It can completely change your mind about what subject you want to do and the kind of art you want to do. It's so different from A level and you learn a lot in a year.
Reply 2
absolutely, there are colleges such as Slade or Royal College of Art (though RCA is only for PostGrads) that are still pretty fine art based. But most art colleges offer fine art as a degree anyway.

hope that helps :smile:
Hi, i'm currently applying for MA Fine Art degrees as RCA, Slade and Goldsmiths (fingers crossed)! I visted the schools and went to their exhibitions so feel I can maybe answer your question. Although these courses had students who were 'painting' when you get to degree or post grad degree level it's not so much about the 'painting' but more about the concepts. None of these institutions would be interested in an artist who paints only pretty pictures, or produces art for the sake of art. It's about having a concept and expressing an idea, and perhaps that is better expressed through less traditional means, or a painting style you would not consider traditional...it could even look 'ugly' if thats what best communicates the concept. I hope this makes sense? What I mean is art at this level isn't about how things look or representation, it's about exploring concepts.
Reply 4
ive been accepted to the slade and RCA and am having a very difficult time deciding from los angeles which one is really better for me. My work is rather traditional and I primarily draw and then some painting.. if anyone has any insight as to which school might be better/more prestigious/ more challenging and yet supportive at the same time, i would greatly appreciate any thoughts. x

Quick Reply

Latest