The Student Room Group

Second year average: 62. Can I still get a first class degree?

I am studying law at Bristol University. I finished the first year with a 54 average (which doesn't count) and the second year with a 62. The second year counts for 40% of my overall grade and the third year for 60%. With my current average I need around 75 in my final year for a first class degree. Is this impossible to achieve?
Original post by Ratach
I am studying law at Bristol University. I finished the first year with a 54 average (which doesn't count) and the second year with a 62. The second year counts for 40% of my overall grade and the third year for 60%. With my current average I need around 75 in my final year for a first class degree. Is this impossible to achieve?

I think on average people tend to do better in the third year, then second year and I know I did in the same situation. I had a mid 2:1 in year 2 and ended up with a first by the end of my degree. What I would say is get feedback from tutors on how you could improve and push yourself to get those few extra marks. Office hours are normally a great time to get an informal chat outside class.

It is going to be difficult, however I do believe it is possible and you may need to focus on getting the additional help to push yourself pass a 2:1 to a first. I do not know anything about law,.but could you do more external reading, add in cases/relevant information from areas outside your syllabus as this will show that you are demonstrating more evaluation skills, etc..
I am interested to find this out too. I got 62.08% in 2nd year and I am looking to get a first overall. My years are weighted the same, 40% for second year and 60% for third year. However, if I was to achieve mostly 70+ in third year modules I would achieve 68.5% overall and get a first degree.
Yeah, I believe that it is theatrically possible to achieve but it will require long hours and hard work.
yes, i did.

it requires alot of work, of course. like treating the textbook as a starting point for further research. but it is one thing to say it, another to do it, hence why a fraction of law degrees are firsts.

if you are academically able, put the hours in, and perfect exam technique then you could get 75 on every module.

Quick Reply

Latest