The Student Room Group

Thresholds for Zero marks

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I can't find another that fits better,

I want to ask if anyone has experienced a rule were a uni has marked a student's essay down to zero for exceeding the word count by more than 20%, or similar? Especially if it happened in final year.

Does anyone know of any similar or harsher rule?
Not that I know of no but every uni will have its own rules. You may be able to appeal. Your SU will be able to advise.
Original post by Alzir

I want to ask if anyone has experienced a rule were a uni has marked a student's essay down to zero for exceeding the word count by more than 20%, or similar? Especially if it happened in final year.

At my uni, you lost 5% of your mark for every 100 words once you went over/under the 10% allowed.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
At my uni, you lost 5% of your mark for every 100 words once you went over/under the 10% allowed.

So zero after 100%?
Original post by Alzir

Heya, has this happened to you or are you just wondering....?
Original post by Alzir
So zero after 100%?

Or they'd give a fail mark depending on what it was.
Reply 6
My university's department had a rule for it but I don't think it was ever really enforced. It only seemed to be only used at the discretion of the tutor marking the work, as it wasn't consistent. I recall in my second year I was ~600 words over a count, and I had a small % removed, something like 5% (I can't remember now, I'd have to go find the feedback). In my dissertation I almost doubled the count and I wasn't punished.

Generally tutors told me (particularly my supervisor) would tell me if the added content adds value then you shouldn't worry.
To be fair if you're exceeding a word count by more than 20% you're probably doing something very wrong

Quick Reply

Latest