The Student Room Group

Walking atleast 2.2 miles everyday?

Hello,

I need a job; for various reasons, I would want to do evening/night shifts, but there aren't too many about. I saw an advert for a McDonalds job at hours of 4PM to 1AM which I was considering. To get there, I could get a bus, but to get home I would need to walk as there are no night busses on that route.

The problem is that the distance I would need to walk home would be around 2.2. miles according to Google Maps. I do a similar thing at university almost everyday; get the bus on the way and then walk around 1.8. miles home (takes around 30 minutes).

So I am wondering if I were to take on this job, would I be taking on too much walking? I realise that it could be possible that I may be walking about 4 miles every day.

Would you consider doing this?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
You would walk around 10,000 steps which is what's recommended every day. So it would be a perfectly fine amount of walking :smile:

about 4.4 miles is the 10k steps not 2.2 lmao
(edited 7 years ago)
get a bike
Reply 3
Original post by Wiggly
Hello,

I need a job; for various reasons, I would want to do evening/night shifts, but there aren't too many about. I saw an advert for a McDonalds job at hours of 4PM to 1AM which I was considering. To get there, I could get a bus, but to get home I would need to walk as there are no night busses on that route.

The problem is that the distance I would need to walk home would be around 2.2. miles according to Google Maps. I do a similar thing at university almost everyday; get the bus on the way and then walk around 1.8. miles home (takes around 30 minutes).

So I am wondering if I were to take on this job, would I be taking on too much walking? I realise that it could be possible that I may be walking about 4 miles every day.

2.2 miles is, what, a 40-minute walk? It'll do you good - just get your headphones in and get walking. It's the right kind of exercise for the right kind of time anyway, so you'll not need to worry (if you do) too much about keeping fit.
Reply 4
Original post by Wiggly
Hello,

you could get a bike and cycle there and back - save money on the bus and would be a good way to burn some calories !... just go for it and if you hate it then you can always just quit ?
Reply 5
Original post by siobhanwatts
get a bike

I'd be terrified cycling on the busy roads. :colondollar:
Original post by Inexorably
You would walk around 10,000 steps which is what's recommended every day. So it would be a perfectly fine amount of walking :smile:

Original post by Tootles
2.2 miles is, what, a 40-minute walk? It'll do you good - just get your headphones in and get walking. It's the right kind of exercise for the right kind of time anyway, so you'll not need to worry (if you do) too much about keeping fit.

40 minutes is about right.

I'm questioning whether it is worth it though. The job would probably mean that I'd be on my feet through the shift, so I might be fatigued for the walk. Some say that you get free food for working there, so I suppose the walk could burn off the rucksack full of chicken nuggets that I would expect to be able to bring home.

It is at night time though, so that would be a huge bonus as compared to walking in the day. I could maybe jog a few bits too. It would be crap in the rain though! A taxi is equivalent to about what- 1.5 hours of work?

Might even get stabbed. :dontknow:
For me, the issue isn't so much the amount of walking. (I walk more than that per day) It's moreso the time of night. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable walking that late at night.
I've walked at least 20 miles a day in one of my jobs.

7.5 hours each day walking around a warehouse almost none stop. That doesn't include any walking required to and from the job.
Reply 8
Original post by Wiggly
I'd be terrified cycling on the busy roads. :colondollar:

I'm questioning whether it is worth it though. The job would probably mean that I'd be on my feet through the shift, so I might be fatigued for the walk. Some say that you get free food for working there, so I suppose the walk could burn off the rucksack full of chicken nuggets that I would expect to be able to bring home.

It is at night time though, so that would be a huge bonus as compared to walking in the day. I could maybe jog a few bits too. It would be crap in the rain though! A taxi is equivalent to about what- 1.5 hours of work?

Hey :smile: I worked at maccies and walked around the same amount when I was 16-19 years old. It's not unhealthy - I just didnt like walking home at dark and the extra 50p after 11pm an hour did not make it worth getting the taxi home to be honest.

Also you dont get to take the food home.. it's against the policy :P You have to eat it on your break haha.
Erm...can walking really be classified as exercise for a young person?

A couple of miles is nothing. You probably won't be able to go throughout life living within 200m of everything you require.
Original post by Wiggly
I'd be terrified cycling on the busy roads.

It's not that bad, trust me. Cars are extremely respectful of cyclists, and many drivers will actively give leverage towards them. I've cycled in Westminster/Leicester Square/Oxford Street during the busiest hours, and as long as you learn basic etiquette and don't do anything stupid, you'll be perfectly safe.

Also, the roads will be a lot calmer during night time. Just make sure you use visibility equipment.
Original post by Wiggly
Hello,

Just cop a rarri?
Original post by hezzlington
Erm...can walking really be classified as exercise for a young person?

If you walked at a moderate speed for a long enough amount of time then yes you could count it as exercise considering how seldom young people (and old) seem to walk enough these days what with the growing trends in youth obesity and all.

Original post by Wiggly

I wouldn't get the taxi every time cause that's gonna suck in terms of cost, but maybe if it's raining excessively you could consider it.

Might also be worth asking (somewhere down the line) a co-worker if they can drop you off if they live near you.
Reply 13
Original post by Wiggly
Hello,

That would be good exercise
Reply 14
Original post by Tiger Rag
For me, the issue isn't so much the amount of walking. (I walk more than that per day) It's moreso the time of night. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable walking that late at night.

I get you, but I'd prefer it at night. If I were walking down a dark alley with someone approaching me, I'd assume that they were thinking that I was going to hurt them rather than thinking that they would hurt me :colonhash:

It's my hometown too so I know the routes and people, etc.
Original post by anna__

Also you dont get to take the food home.. it's against the policy :P You have to eat it on your break haha.

Ah, that's a shame. :frown:
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
It's not that bad, trust me. Cars are extremely respectful of cyclists, and many drivers will actively give leverage towards them. I've cycled in Westminster/Leicester Square/Oxford Street during the busiest hours, and as long as you learn basic etiquette and don't do anything stupid, you'll be perfectly safe.

Also, the roads will be a lot calmer during night time. Just make sure you use visibility equipment.

I'd definitely consider it once I get used to the route and time, etc. :yes:
Original post by junayd1998
Just cop a rarri?

I might if I knew what that meant...

Thanks for the replies, by the way!
I walk at least 12-15 miles a day as part of my job. And then I have a workout straight after for an hour. 2.2 miles is nothing, not even a warmup.

If you are fit, then it won't be a problem for you along with the extra walking while working. But if you are unfit, then your body will ache for the first few days and eventually get used to it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wiggly
I get you, but I'd prefer it at night. If I were walking down a dark alley with someone approaching me, I'd assume that they were thinking that I was going to hurt them rather than thinking that they would hurt me :colonhash:

It's my hometown too so I know the routes and people, etc.

Ah, that's a shame. :frown:

I'd definitely consider it once I get used to the route and time, etc. :yes:

I might if I knew what that meant...

Thanks for the replies, by the way!

Let me filter out the roadman

it means

Buy a Ferrari.
Original post by Wiggly

Actually, walking would alleviate the fatigue of standing around for a shift, get your legs loose and relaxed again. There's nothing like a brisk walk after standing around.

Quick Reply

Latest