The Student Room Group

Good Universities for a B grade in Mathematics

So I'm in a bit of a conundrum, I predicted I would get two B's and a C at A level, one of the B's is mathematics and I really want to continue mathematics as I enjoy it. However, I am concerned as to which university I can get into with just a B and what job prospects can I do with the maths degree at this university. The universities I thought would be suitable are: Brighton, Kingston and Birkbeck, however Birkbeck doesn't have many rating for mathematics, whilst Brighton does have a rating and it has higher entry requirements than Kingston it has a lower rating compared to Kingston.

Does anyone, preferably those with experience, know any good universities for mathematics at B grade level.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dieselblue
So I'm in a bit of a conundrum, I predicted I would get two B's and a C at A level, one of the B's is mathematics and I really want to continue mathematics as I enjoy it. However, I am concerned as to which university I can get into with just a B and what job prospects can I do with the maths degree at this university. The universities I thought would be suitable are: Brighton, Kingston and Birkbeck, however Birkbeck doesn't have many rating for mathematics, whilst Brighton does have a rating and it has higher entry requirements than Kingston it has a lower rating compared to Kingston.

Does anyone, preferably those with experience, know any good universities for mathematics at B grade level.

I think you should wait for your entire results because it depends on your other grades too.
Reply 2

If I were you I would try and retake to get the A in maths as many unis will accept retakes as if you only have a B your choices will be really limited :/
In a similar light to OP's post, my firm offer from Loughborough is AAA however there is a high possibility I will get A*AB, I want to study Mathematics and took Maths + Further Maths as my A-Levels, and the B will be in Further Maths. How likely am I to get rejected if those are my grades?
Reply 4
Original post by fefssdf
If I were you I would try and retake to get the A in maths as many unis will accept retakes as if you only have a B your choices will be really limited :/

It really depends on my UMS.
I actually did very well in the cores C1-C4 but S1 and D1 are dragging me down. I could potentially get a ABB, with an A in maths if my UMS adds up because I predicted:
C1: B
C2: A
C3: B
C4: A*
D1: B/C
S1: C

But these are all predictions, I am really uncertain about retaking, Especially retaking an entire year
Reply 5
It really depends on my UMS.
I actually did very well in the cores C1-C4 but S1 and D1 are dragging me down. I could potentially get a ABB, with an A in maths if my UMS adds up because I predicted:
C1: B
C2: A
C3: B
C4: A*
D1: B/C
S1: C

But these are all predictions, I am really uncertain about retaking, Especially retaking an entire year

All you can do is wait ... I know newcastle uni are very lenient in terms of grades as long as you get ABB or equivalent so maybe this could be an option if you were to end up in clearing ?

I just realised your predictions are very similar to mine/my actual results as i also think c3 was bad but c4 was really high hmmm
(edited 7 years ago)
Tbh if you can only manage a B in A level maths then I doubt you'll be able to cope with a maths degree.
Reply 7
Original post by stevey396
Tbh if you can only manage a B in A level maths then I doubt you'll be able to cope with a maths degree.

That's true for Russell Group universities but plenty of universities only require a B in Maths. And if that's their requirement then a B grade student should be fine.

A 2:1 in maths from any university can lead to a very good career.
Retaking and improving your grade to a grade A or A* would really open up your options. Have you considered taking a gap year and resitting maths whilst also sitting further maths A-level?Not only would these A-levels open up your options for a maths degree, but it would also help you allot on the actual degree itself.In my opinion it's better to go university one year later and be well prepared for the course, also to go somewhere you want to attend.

I tend to agree
Reply 10
Original post by Katiee224
Retaking and improving your grade to a grade A or A* would really open up your options. Have you considered taking a gap year and resitting maths whilst also sitting further maths A-level?Not only would these A-levels open up your options for a maths degree, but it would also help you allot on the actual degree itself.In my opinion it's better to go university one year later and be well prepared for the course, also to go somewhere you want to attend.

I heard gap years are looked down on in mathematics, don't know why just my teachers told me I shouldn't take one if I want to do mathematics
Reply 11

It's not the core mathematics that drags me down, which is what I want to do. I actually am very good at C1-C4, it's just D1 and S1 are 1/3 of the over all grade and drag me down to a B. I however understand that a maths degree is very difficult but I do enjoy mathematics a lot.:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
I heard gap years are looked down on in mathematics, don't know why just my teachers told me I shouldn't take one if I want to do mathematics

It's not looked down upon so much if you plan on studying further during your gap year, as this will keep your maths skills sharp.

I took a gap year and got offers from the likes of Southampton and Exeter so it is an option. :h:
Reply 13
Original post by Katiee224
It's not looked down upon so much if you plan on studying further during your gap year, as this will keep your maths skills sharp.

I took a gap year and got offers from the likes of Southampton and Exeter so it is an option. :h:

Sounds like a good option, did you apply for mathematics at university? If I were to retake anything it would be C3 and D1 as they are the only ones dragging me down because I made stupid mistakes in both the exams.
Sounds like a good option, did you apply for mathematics at university? If I were to retake anything it would be C3 and D1 as they are the only ones dragging me down because I made stupid mistakes in both the exams.
Yeah I'm starting this September.If you are serious about maths I'd recommend taking a year out and improving your maths A-level grade. Have you considered studying the further maths A-level aswell?Anyway results day hasn't arrived yet so maybe you've done better than you thought.:smile:
don't do a math degree if you have a B in math.
if you have BBC take a gap year and apply to better universities.

My maths teacher told me university maths is most similar to D1
i think it's best if you take a gap year and retake to improve your grades and knowledge..

I got offers from Warwick/UCL (for engineering) in my gap year, after getting AAAB in A-levels, just make sure you take A2 FM in it.

I was also predicted BBCC in my a2-levels, retook one maths module, both chemistry's, one physics, and one biology, and ended up with A's in Math's Chemistry and Physics and B in Biology. I was shy by a couple of UMS of an A* in Maths and Chem too!

Don't let the predicted grades bring you down, and if you really wanna study maths seriously at a top uni, which you are capable of if you're getting A's in C3/C4 work hard now.

I was going to go to loughborough uni (still v. good for engineering) for a foundation year which would of lead to Material's Engineering, I thought I'd take it purely for the good uni rep.

I would highly advise a gap year if you felt you underachieved due to a poor effort, and get a job/travel/work exp. and you'll be fully prepared for your uni!
Original post by lawlieto
My maths teacher told me university maths is most similar to D1
i think it's best if you take a gap year and retake to improve your grades and knowledge..

Haha I want some of what your teachers smoking mate :biggrin:
I've heard first year is like an introduction to basics of pure math's and proofs again, as we do it all wrong in A2 FM
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Haha I want some of what your teachers smoking mate :biggrin:
I've heard first year is like an introduction to basics of pure math's and proofs again, as we do it all wrong in A2 FM

well my teacher went to Oxford (it's true it was like 20 years ago but I guess maths hasn't changed ?!)
although she did more computing stuff so it could be that she did more of the D1 stuff than the average

"proofs AGAIN"? what proofs? the only proof I remember from A2 FM is de moivre's theorem and tbf we didn't learn much pure maths theory... both A level maths and FM were about endless calculations and often you could integrate without actually understanding what was going on.

Quick Reply

Latest