The Student Room Group

Good Universities for a B grade in Mathematics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lawlieto
well my teacher went to Oxford (it's true it was like 20 years ago but I guess maths hasn't changed ?!)
although she did more computing stuff so it could be that she did more of the D1 stuff than the average

"proofs AGAIN"? what proofs? the only proof I remember from A2 FM is de moivre's theorem and tbf we didn't learn much pure maths theory... both A level maths and FM were about endless calculations and often you could integrate without actually understanding what was going on.

Yep D1/D2 is heavily used in computing/programming, but in an actual Maths degree I doubt you use much decisions, I'm fairly sure places like Cambridge/Warwick suggest you take more mechanics in place of decisions as they don't deem them as necessary modules for the course
Reply 21
The reason I can only get a B is because S1 and D1 which are garbage math modules I don't care about or find interesting are dragging me down, both are boring and uninteresting so I have little desire to exceed in them, where as the core topics I find interesting and I could consistently get A-A* grades in Solomon papers because I'm relaxed and I am 100% efficient when relaxed, but when the exam comes I make a butt load of mistakes because of pressure. It's so bad I forget even the basic things for example in the C3 exam this year there was a question where you differentiate to get dy/dx = -Sin x + 3Cos x, where dy/dx = 0. Instead of being rational and doing sinx/3cox = 1 I decided that I should put it into a RCos(x-a) format, how could I be so stupid?

But yeah this is why my grades a dragged down.

Would anyone happen to have info on Brighton or Birkbeck for mathematics? I've looked but I can't find much on what the courses are really like
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dieselblue
The reason I can only get a B is because S1 and D1 which are garbage math modules I don't care about or find interesting are dragging me down, both are boring and uninteresting so I have little desire to exceed in them, where as the core topics I find interesting and I could consistently get A-A* grades in Solomon papers because I'm relaxed and I am 100% efficient when relaxed, but when the exam comes I make a butt load of mistakes because of pressure. It's so bad I forget even the basic things for example in the C3 exam this year there was a question where you differentiate to get dy/dx = -Sin x + 3Cos x, where dy/dx = 0. Instead of being rational and doing sinx/3cox = 1 I decided that I should put it into a RCos(x-a) format, how could I be so stupid?

But yeah this is why my grades a dragged down.

Would anyone happen to have info on Brighton or Birkbeck for mathematics? I've looked but I can't find much on what the courses are really like

I hope you find Analysis/Algebra interesting :tongue: otherwise you will have to force yourself to love stats/decision/probability etc.

Exam pressure makes you do silly things.. trust me on that one :redface:

Good luck though :tongue:

List of each uni forum
Original post by Dieselblue
So I'm in a bit of a conundrum, I predicted I would get two B's and a C at A level, one of the B's is mathematics and I really want to continue mathematics as I enjoy it. However, I am concerned as to which university I can get into with just a B and what job prospects can I do with the maths degree at this university. The universities I thought would be suitable are: Brighton, Kingston and Birkbeck, however Birkbeck doesn't have many rating for mathematics, whilst Brighton does have a rating and it has higher entry requirements than Kingston it has a lower rating compared to Kingston.

Does anyone, preferably those with experience, know any good universities for mathematics at B grade level.

Hi :smile:
http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/mathematics/ Here's a link to our mathematics course if you want anymore information.
Emily
Student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest