Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The OFFICIAL Corbyn Coup thread

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

In my view, Labour MPs were still far too emotional about the result of the EU referendum to have taken a step of this magnitude. Their emotions are understandable given that a key plank of Labour's foreign policy has just been destroyed, but they should have known better.[/QUOTE]

However traumatic it is the referendum to me looks to be more catalyst than prime mover, the cracks have been there for a while, the vote on Syria being one of the more clear moments.

I think all the parties (and not just in the UK) have to reinvent for the 21st century, if looked at historically the 19th century finished and then the start of the 20th century (post WW1) saw the decline of the Liberals and the rise of Labour, the 21st century looks to me like the demise of the broad church parties and the rise of the issue parties, the catch is for the UK that the FTP system does not fit well with the new realities.

I cannot see how the Labour party can continue to embrace the width of views within it, David Starkey on "This Week " likened it to a party with three very different forces pulling at it:

The PLP
    The members
    The needs/support of the wider electorate.

The members look like they wish to move left, there is only limited signs that the electorate (as a mass) want such a shift but they also do not want the current crop of disconnected politicians and the PLP cannot see any sign of being a government if the party moves significantly to the left.

However not to be partisan, Conservatives have the same sort of issues but at the moment these are not quite so much to the fore as they:

a. Hold office
    b. Believe with Labour as it is they will continue to hold office for a long time.

With them (as is often the Conservative way) for now pragmatism trumps conviction.

If I could place a bet on the political outlook in thirty years time it would likely be something like:

1. Some sort of PR style electoral system
    2. A range/spectrum of smaller parties with less dominance of a big two.
    3. A more negotiated governance amongst these parties.

In effect a more continental model

The irony of our leaving the EU may be that we will ourselves be governed by a more readily identifiable EU style politics.

Having said all that I thought the SDP was the start of something similar , so I am not a very good Nostradamus.

(Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    I am not going to support a coup attemp that was pre planned and managed by a PR firm linked to Blairite politicians
    Is there any actual evidence for that claim?

And by evidence I mean emails, text messages, other communications between the plotters, demonstrating their involvement and intent?

"X knows Y and Y knows Z and they're all members of the Fabian Society" isn't exactly a strong case.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.