The Student Room Group

Which gender is under more pressure nowadays?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theBranicAc
This is the result of celebrities and the media portrayal. Every girl wants to be like kim kardashian, thats why they would do anything to get a big ass or big tits.

Not every girl. The ones who are stupid enough to find Kim K perfection need serious help because its all plastic.

Personally, I aspire to have a figure like Iskra Lawrence. I don't aspire to look like Kim K because I can't stand the idea of surgery,fillers and thigh gaps just come off as weird to me.
Reply 21
Original post by Desi123
guys mirin [video="youtube;VRQA2iGnvzg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRQA2iGnvzg[/video]brah

died so young
It sounds interesting and I wish I watched the documentary.
I still would say women have more pressure to achieve a beauty standard. As a female, we are constantly bombarded with images on how our bodies are supposed to look. As a result, a lot of girls unfortunately develop an eating disorder, at a lot higher rates than males which makes me think that females do have a lot more pressure to conform to societies beauty ideals.
Reply 23
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Ahh yeah. Women are under pressure to have big boobs, a big ass, a flat stomach, skinny legs and a thigh gap. Honestly sounds so unrealistic to me :/

There's nothing we can do about that but i honestly dont see the issue with someone wanting to feel good about themselves. Lets be honest no one wants to be fat
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by drogon
There's nothing we can do about that but i honestly dont see the issue with someone wanting to feel good about themselves. Lets be honest no one wants to be fat

Nothing wrong with wanting to feel good about yourself but I'm talking about beauty standards in the West. Nobody wants to be fat but nobody should have to work so hard to a certain standard just to then think they will be good enough.
Original post by loveleest
It sounds interesting and I wish I watched the documentary.
I still would say women have more pressure to achieve a beauty standard. As a female, we are constantly bombarded with images on how our bodies are supposed to look. As a result, a lot of girls unfortunately develop an eating disorder, at a lot higher rates than males which makes me think that females do have a lot more pressure to conform to societies beauty ideals.

[video="youtube;Xrp0zJZu0a4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrp0zJZu0a4[/video]
I think women.

Women are supposed to be youthful at all times. Once an actress hits around her 30's then she is too old and no longer seen as the bombshell or attractive and gets replaced by someone who is 25. For some reason older women are not seen as attractive or should be seen as attractive. The younger the better I guess. Also women are supposed to be sexually pure. Men are encouraged to screw as much women as they can while women who screw guys are dirty and skanky.

Men have to be the bread winner out of the household.
Im going to have say women are more at pressured. I'm not saying guys aren't pressured though.
So I was watching a documentary by Reggie Yates a while back called Extreme UK (it isn't on BBC iplayer anymore so I can't link it) and he was talking about the rise of men getting their bodies surgically altered in order to look more toned, so they would get more attention. He interviewed a guy who had plastic fillers put into his pectorals and while I was watching, it got me thinking. Are men under more pressure or is it women? Nowadays on the media and all, models are photoshopped to look as if they actually do conform to Western standards of beauty and so we all feel a pressure of some sort at some point.

So yeah, the question basically is, are men under more pressure to look good or are women under a lot more pressure?
The whole expectation from many women that men need to take care of them in relationships particularly financially.

still I'd stay a man anyday.
Probs women as they have mental health problems that manifest in conditions like bulimia and anorexia plus are in high pressures environments especially in grammar and all girls schools and girls generally want to do best they can in academics. Chances are they have also been spurned by a male before and this deeply affects their mental Phyce lol
[video="youtube;Xrp0zJZu0a4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrp0zJZu0a4[/video]

I laughed, they had a picture of Kim K for the modern ideal body type.
Lol at them.

She's pretty but fake.

Renascence and Victorians like their women on the err... larger side :tongue:

80s were my favourite :biggrin:
I think both genders have always had pressure, just in different things.. Of course it's a biased opinion when someone tells you though.
I feel questions like this are too broad and it varies more depending upon the individual as opposed to the gender itself. Though it's certainly true that men have now started to put more extreme beauty standards upon themselves...alarmingly... with no signs of stopping.
Reply 33
Original post by Inexorably
I feel questions like this are too broad and it varies more depending upon the individual as opposed to the gender itself. Though it's certainly true that men have now started to put more extreme beauty standards upon themselves...alarmingly... with no signs of stopping.

[video="youtube;J2paiKp6_YU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2paiKp6_YU[/video]
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Renascence and Victorians like their women on the err... larger side :tongue:

80s were my favourite :biggrin:

Well, looking at statues, paintings etc. of women from those times it, seems Buzzfeed might be exaggerating a little (not to much surprise).

No matter the time period, what's deemed attractive in women and men have usually been things associated with health and prosperity at the time. Particularly skinny women in the medieval era were seen as poor, sickly and not well fed, for example.
Honestly, I do believe women are more under pressure to be attractive, it is the women that get the most hate for being fat and/or unattractive. It's women who reach 40+ and are considered unattractive. It is women can't really "make up for their looks" by having a fat wallet.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Honestly, I do believe women are more under pressure to be attractive, it is the women that get the most hate for being fat and/or unattractive. It's women who reach 40+ and are considered unattractive. It is women can't really "make up for their looks" by having a fat wallet.

Yeah and then some guys are doomed if they are under 5'5 and unfit.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Yeah and then some guys are doomed if they are under 5'5 and unfit.

It does make sense with men. Nowadays being over 6 foot is the ideal height and a lot of guys have their self esteem plummeting because they can't change their height. Girls however, can easily change their weight.
It does make sense with men. Nowadays being over 6 foot is the ideal height and a lot of guys have their self esteem plummeting because they can't change their height. Girls however, can easily change their weight.

Yes you right about the height.
What do you think about tall girls? Im 5ft 11 and at times made to feel like a freak. LOL people think my entire life purpose is to model or became a bb player. :redface:

See, not only is being short unattractive to the other sex.

But it also loses you respect from the same sex. It means you are smaller, which means you are less physical strong, which is pretty much the basis of male to male respect, alongside intelligence and wealth. Having a third of your potential respect locked into a **** position kind of sucks. Therefore short guys often feel compelled to work out excessively and thus the manlet phenomenon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending