The Student Room Group

Physical Height in banking

Hi,
I've read an article recently which said that taller people succeed more in banking and trading because they have a larger physical presence and are therefore subconsciously more highly respected by others, so they are more likely to sell a product or stroke a deal than a short person, The problem I have is that I am really short- in fact, I'm 5 foot 6.5 inches, 5'7.5" with shoes on. So am I less likely to be successful in banking or in trading if I'm short? I'm a guy.
Reply 1
yeah you're definitely screwed midget
Original post by Ladbants
Hi,
I've read an article recently which said that taller people succeed more in banking and trading because they have a larger physical presence and are therefore subconsciously more highly respected by others, so they are more likely to sell a product or stroke a deal than a short person, The problem I have is that I am really short- in fact, I'm 5 foot 6.5 inches, 5'7.5" with shoes on. So am I less likely to be successful in banking or in trading if I'm short? I'm a guy.

Correlation =/= causation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Correlation =/= causation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it does seem like there are very very few short bankers or traders compared to the population. Perhaps it does influence employers if the person is taller, especially for banking and trading which are dominated more by alpha types who are taller...
Reply 4
But it does seem like there are very very few short bankers or traders compared to the population. Perhaps it does influence employers if the person is taller, especially for banking and trading which are dominated more by alpha types who are taller...

i thought you were trolling at first...

You're fine mate, if they judge you know on your height then try another place and i doubt anyone would want to work in such a toxic environment

It's a case of unconscious selection bias - people most likely tend to hire people like themselves. But, doesn't mean you'll be hindered because of your height, race, gender etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
maybe consider theatre studies instead so you can be in your local towns version of snow white and the seven dwarfs..
Reply 7
You can put some cardboard in your shoes to look a bit taller. But it doesn't matter that much. One of the sales people I met at a careers fair is actually quite short- I'd say around 5'8" so not everyone is tall although it probably helps it you were.
work at the Tokyo Stock Exchange... you will be like the Jolly Green Giant.
Manlets tend to fail in most things not just banking

I'm only 5'5 btw :frown:
Hi,

You clearly don't have what it takes to be successful if you think that being a bit on the small side will prevent you from making it.
Hi,

Interned in IBD at one of the best BB banks, and on my floor average male height was say 5"9 / 5"10 so don't worry.

5"6.5 is short in any line of work, doesn't matter though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
I'm not tall myself and in my home coutnry it's quite rare to see anyone under 175cm, so I'd stand out. In the UK I was surprised to see how many guys were what I'd consider short and even more so in banking. *Always had the feeling there was a disproporionately high amount of short guys in Banking, possibly due to some Napoleon complex related issues.*
size only matters where it counts :wink:
As a 189cm /6'2" guy this is quite reassuring to read.

Actually now that I think of it, I haven't come across that many short people in my career in DCM (not that everyone is freakishly tall either but just not that many shorter people).
I have an idea- there are special shoe inserts for short people so they can increase their height. But some of those.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending