The Student Room Group

Steps to get a driving license?

Hello everyone, am 16 and turning 17 in march. I'd like to know what i need to do and if i can do it now at 16.
Any experiences of how the test were and how you did in them would be greatly appreciated. How did you find driving for the first time :biggrin:. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mediaya
Hello everyone, am 16 and turning 17 in march. I'd like to know what i need to do and if i can do it now at 16.
Any experiences of how the test were and how you did in them would be greatly appreciated. How did you find driving for the first time :biggrin:. Thanks

Hey i'm also 16 but i'm turning 17 in December. If you go to the GOV.UK website and onto the driving licence bit then there is a full info about it.Are you gonna learn to drive ? Or are you gonna learn for the provisional licence ?
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey i'm also 16 but i'm turning 17 in December. If you go to the GOV.UK website and onto the driving licence bit then there is a full info about it.Are you gonna learn to drive ? Or are you gonna learn for the provisional licence ?

Ermmmm..... I dont know, it called theory test, n am preparing for that?
What's a provisional license?
Thanks for the link, i'll go and look
Apply for a provisional licence
Take lessons and pass your theory test
Pass your driving test

Voila :h:
Original post by Indeterminate
Pass your driving test

Where do you take lessons or can you just teach yourself froma cd)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Pass your driving test

And don't crash
Original post by mediaya
Where do you take lessons or can you just teach yourself froma cd)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll need a driving instructor :yes:

But you can get a pack which will provide you everything you need for the theory test. :h:

But you can get a pack which will provide you everything you need for the theory test. :h:

Yh i got the pack

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did u learn? Just curious:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UWS
And don't crash

I won't :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mediaya
How did u learn? Just curious:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Soon after getting my provisional licence, I started taking lessons and working on the theory stuff (which I passed when I was a few lessons in). And after around 18-20 hours of lessons I took my test and that was it :biggrin:
Reply 11
Has anyone done the crash courses? What do u guys think of them, and if you've done driving lessons too, would you recommend lessons or crash course?
Step one: Having arms and legs.

Also, you can't book your practical test without having passed the theory test :smile:
Original post by super_kawaii
Also, you can't book your practical test without having passed the theory test :smile:

oh okay thanks

can you apply for a provisional liscense at 16? or do you wait to be 17
Original post by mediaya
can you apply for a provisional liscense at 16? or do you wait to be 17

I think you can apply for a provisional shortly before your 17th birthday

However, I heard there was a change in law meaning you can't take your test until you turn 18. Might be wrong though*
I'm turning 17 in September. I do want to learn to drive but I don't know when, I don't think I'd be able to afford it at the moment. Does anyone have an estimate of roughly how much it would cost to get a driving license?
I think you can apply for a provisional shortly before your 17th birthday

However, I heard there was a change in law meaning you can't take your test until you turn 18. Might be wrong though*

hein? where did u find that out? have u got a link to the website or something?
you made me scared:redface:, i want to drive so much:tongue:
Original post by mediaya
hein? where did u find that out? have u got a link to the website or something?
you made me scared:redface:, i want to drive so much:tongue:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/minimum-ages-and-rules-learner-drivers-and-riders

I got it a bit wrong. You can apply for a provisional up to 3 months before your 17th birthday, however you will not legally be permitted to book any tests until you actually turn 17. The passing the theory before you can book your practical still applies

Quick Reply

Latest