Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

writing a debate on bank bailout help urgently please

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

So i have to write a debate in favour of bank bailout regulations and i dont know how to start and facts to include and i am not even sure what the bailout regulations are and what the benefits are so please can anyone help me i would really appreciate it
    Thank you sooo much.

Not sure what you specifically want, but common sense says you start by doing reserach and asking the questions:

What happened?
    Why ?
    What were the dangers?
    How did it resolve itself?

Once you understand the events, then move onto what they did. By bailout regulations I assume you mean banking reforms?

That then puts upi on a position of knowing about 1.what happened which gives you context, 2. the risk and 3. the solutions they made and 4. why that solution addresses the risk.
    If you are writing in favour then you have to be prepared to argue about why it was needed, why it will work and why it is better than other potential solutions.

Once you have done that then its just a case of shaping your argument and addressing the main points in the way you want to.

Soemthing like this is what happened and these were the risks or fallout, which meant reform was needed and they decided to do XTz which was good becayse it addressed the problem and made it unlikely that it would happen again or could be dealt with more effectively in the future.

You might wnat to finish by reinforcing it with explaining what might have happened if they had done nothing and the reforms have helped prevent a repeat.

ps always look at the argument your opponent will use and be prepared to counter them.

You need to research and read to get up to speed with the topic. No idea at what level it might be needed or any special angle depending on the subject you are studying.

Look up "moral hazard" and think about how it relates to bank bailouts

You may also want to look at rebuttals to efficient market hypothesis and consider how they can be applied to the banking industry (think about asset bubbles, speculation, insider trading, etc)

Finally, you will undoubtedly need to anticipate some of the arguments brought forth by your opponents - try looking at the problems of government failure (when the government, through intervention, creates or worsens a market failure), such as political manipulation, unintended consequences, high enforcement costs, etc.

These are all starting points - you'll need to develop them yourself
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.