The Student Room Group

Girls, would you wear a white wedding dress?

Its too early to order a dress as knowing me I'll gain weight or change my mind on a dress but one thing I have said for years is that I wouldn't wear a white, ivory or cream dress. I personally don't feel like I would suit those colours so I'm going to go for a purple dress, especially as it'll match my partner's purple kilt. Been having a look at some dresses online lately to get a rough idea on what kind of design of dress and shade of purple I'd be looking for and also at prices. Found a few nice ones so far :h:

So just wondering if any of you girls have thought about what you would ever wear? Coloured wedding dresses seem to be coming a trend now. I did go through my phase of wanting a black wedding dress when I was in my emo days back when I was about 14 but I am out of that now :laugh::colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Lol, a black dress? Talk about a fashion statement.
Original post by Spock's Socks
I'm getting married in Jan 2019, so 2 and a half years away. Its too early to order a dress as knowing me I'll gain weight or change my mind on a dress
or perhaps on the groom
Reply 3
I don't think I'll want a white/cream/etc. dress either if/when I get married. I quite like the idea of coloured wedding dresses :smile:
I really want to wear a gold dress

but I dont think I want to get married so :lol:
I think I will yes. You only get one chance to wear a fancy white dress - I think i'd regret it if I didn't.
Also - I'm probably being nosy here, but why wait 2.5 years to get married after getting engaged? Congrats btw
Reply 6
dress1.png I'm in love with this dress but I'd have to be at least 6 foot tall to rock it :laugh:
I'm getting married in Jan 2019, so 2 and a half years away. Its too early to order a dress as knowing me I'll gain weight or change my mind on a dress but one thing I have said for years is that I wouldn't wear a white, ivory or cream dress. I personally don't feel like I would suit those colours so I'm going to go for a purple dress, especially as it'll match my partner's purple kilt. Been having a look at some dresses online lately to get a rough idea on what kind of design of dress and shade of purple I'd be looking for and also at prices. Found a few nice ones so far :h:

So just wondering if any of you girls have thought about what you would ever wear? Coloured wedding dresses seem to be coming a trend now. I did go through my phase of wanting a black wedding dress when I was in my emo days back when I was about 14 but I am out of that now :laugh::colondollar:

I wore white but I had a very traditional looking wedding and I think it looked good. There are many shades of white and Ivory to suit varying skin tones. I think it's a good idea to go to a bridal shop and try on the conventional bridal gowns as then you will have seen them on you and know they are but right with no room for what ifs. The dress I picked was totally different to what I thought I would get. You have a lot of time on your side. Pick a dress you love and fits in with your wedding. Personally I think white makes you look more bridal but that's just taste. You don't necessarily want too trendy as that quickly can become dated especially over 2.5 years.

I cannot stress enough that you need to try on dresses as a shape or colour you might love in a photo might not be right for you. Don't worry too much about weight for now, any wedding dress will need alterations. Enjoy wedding dress hunting!
Reply 8
Original post by GlitterandGold-x
I think I will yes. You only get one chance to wear a fancy white dress - I think i'd regret it if I didn't.
Also - I'm probably being nosy here, but why wait 2.5 years to get married after getting engaged? Congrats btw

Thanks :smile: We are waiting because we want it to be on our 10th anniversary of being together plus it gives us more time to save up and pay for most of it, if not all of it ourselves :smile:
I wore an ivory dress. It was completely different to the style I thought I wanted but i fell in love with it when I tried it on. You have loads of time so try on a few different styles and see what you like on your shape, then I recommend finding out what colours you can get the dress made in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks :smile: We are waiting because we want it to be on our 10th anniversary of being together plus it gives us more time to save up and pay for most of it, if not all of it ourselves :smile:

Sounds sensible :smile: I forgot to add, if you've never been into the idea of a white dress, don't wear one just because you feel you should. All the best :smile:
I like white. I would have to stay away from the red wine though! Or indeed any beverage πŸ˜„
I'm getting married in Jan 2019, so 2 and a half years away. Its too early to order a dress as knowing me I'll gain weight or change my mind on a dress but one thing I have said for years is that I wouldn't wear a white, ivory or cream dress. I personally don't feel like I would suit those colours so I'm going to go for a purple dress, especially as it'll match my partner's purple kilt. Been having a look at some dresses online lately to get a rough idea on what kind of design of dress and shade of purple I'd be looking for and also at prices. Found a few nice ones so far :h:

I'd want to wear white at my wedding simply because it's traditional

I wouldn't let anyone wear black as it is a symbol of mourning. A wedding is not for mourning

Before changing our minds on eloping, i did consider whether i'd like a lilac or blue dress but now that we're planning on a "proper" wedding, i want to wear an ivory full length lace one.

dress1.png I'm in love with this dress but I'd have to be at least 6 foot tall to rock it :laugh:

you could get a tea dress version or get someone to alter it for you? Quiz has some lovely coloured dresses at reasonable prices :smile:
I'd like something cream/ivory, maybe with gold embroidery and embellishments. I've never really been fond of wearing loud colours out of context (I'm so mainstream) so deep reds, purples etc are out of the question.

To a certain degree, I'd like my dress to match the decorations of my venue too so I'll definitely have to consider that when choosing my dress :yes:

I could sit here and plan my wedding all day... :daydreaming:

Original post by bluemadhatter
x

I love that second one :love:
Wear yellow, it goes well with purple... and most colours.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by GlitterandGold-x
Sounds sensible :smile: I forgot to add, if you've never been into the idea of a white dress, don't wear one just because you feel you should. All the best :smile:

Thanks! Yeah that is exactly what my mum and partner say, I should wear what style of dress and colours feel comfortable to me, regardless of tradition and that is what I plan on doing. Since I am going for a coloured dress, I'll no doubt end up having to buy a dress that was originally meant to be a prom or bridesmaids dress but I'm sure I'll find one that suits :smile:
Reply 17
dress2.png I'm in love :love:
Yes, probably, if not I'd go for a really pale pastel colour I think

in b4 your wedding photos

Latest