The Student Room Group

How to get over a fear of Chemistry?

Let me be clear- I LOVE CHEMISTRY.
I have been a good chemistry student ever since picking up the subject at age 11(??) I got an A* in Chem 1 GCSE (Still waiting for results day for final marks!)
However, since getting a specific teacher from year 9 onwards I have been terrified of Chemistry. I feel sick going into the lab and taking tests. In his class, if I didn't get a new concept immediately, this teacher would mock and belittle me, and would often imply that I would never be good at chemistry and shouldn't take it for A-Level. He was, in short, a horrific bully. Since I will be moving schools for 6th form he will no longer be my teacher but I fear that he has ruined chemistry for me forever. I need to take it- I want to do a science/medicine oriented university course. Quitting isn't an option.
How do I get over this fear??
Original post by akthryn
I have been a good chemistry student ever since picking up the subject at age 11(??) I got an A* in Chem 1 GCSE (Still waiting for results day for final marks!)
However, since getting a specific teacher from year 9 onwards I have been terrified of Chemistry. I feel sick going into the lab and taking tests. In his class, if I didn't get a new concept immediately, this teacher would mock and belittle me, and would often imply that I would never be good at chemistry and shouldn't take it for A-Level. He was, in short, a horrific bully. Since I will be moving schools for 6th form he will no longer be my teacher but I fear that he has ruined chemistry for me forever. I need to take it- I want to do a science/medicine oriented university course. Quitting isn't an option.

You should NOT listen to this teacher, he is just probably frustrated with his own life and ends up taking it out on the students. Seriously, dont let him get in the way of chemistry (aka bae); plus since u r moving schools for sixthform the new teacher will probably be 100% better then your old one ^^.
Reply 2
Original post by clorenzoni5
You should NOT listen to this teacher, he is just probably frustrated with his own life and ends up taking it out on the students. Seriously, dont let him get in the way of chemistry (aka bae); plus since u r moving schools for sixthform the new teacher will probably be 100% better then your old one ^^.

Yeah my new teacher seems really nice :P But phew, he had a way of getting into my head. When I was much younger (11) I would idolise him and so when he became a bully it was super tough D:
Original post by akthryn
Yeah my new teacher seems really nice :P But phew, he had a way of getting into my head. When I was much younger (11) I would idolise him and so when he became a bully it was super tough D:

I see, but just dont let him continue having this sort of impact on you. What A levels are you doing btw?
Reply 4
I see, but just dont let him continue having this sort of impact on you. What A levels are you doing btw?

Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. Maybe further maths then drop it as AS? Idk but definitely the first four.
Original post by akthryn

Ah I get what you mean. In year 10 and 11 my maths teacher is good at teaching but is really against anyone from our class who wants to take A-Level maths even if your good at GCSE. I always wanted to do Maths and he kind of disencouraged me not to do it. However, I ignored him and I chose A-Level maths and further maths (hopefully) so don't let anyone decide your future! :smile:
Original post by akthryn
Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. Maybe further maths then drop it as AS? Idk but definitely the first four.

We are doing the same subjects, and i'm also thinking about a fifth, but isnt it better to concentrate on getting a higher grade on those four instead of stressing about 5?
Reply 7
We are doing the same subjects, and i'm also thinking about a fifth, but isnt it better to concentrate on getting a higher grade on those four instead of stressing about 5?

I know the struggle D: I'll probably end up doing the four tbh. Thats exactly what my form teacher told me- Focus on the four. Isn't it true that universities don't think extra subjects over the normal three are as important?
Also what exam board are you under? I'm WJEC D:
Univerities will give you an offer based on THREE A-level grades. Don't make life difficult for yourself by doing any more. It's pointless.
Original post by akthryn
I know the struggle D: I'll probably end up doing the four tbh. Thats exactly what my form teacher told me- Focus on the four. Isn't it true that universities don't think extra subjects over the normal three are as important?
Also what exam board are you under? I'm WJEC D:

I'm not really sure, since i dont know exactly the sixthform i'm going to ^^, but if i end up going to my top choice, then its OCR for everything apart from phys

Quick Reply

Latest