The Student Room Group

These Brexit (Regrexit) articles are really nerve wracking!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/05/09/oxford-could-risk-global-standing-in-case-of-brexit-lord-patten/

I am so confused. Honestly I find this just as an absurd exaggeration.
One of my friends just decided not to apply to Cambridge because of Brexit (she/he is an international student from EU)

What do you think?
Original post by BioOx
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/05/09/oxford-could-risk-global-standing-in-case-of-brexit-lord-patten/

I am so confused. Honestly I find this just as an absurd exaggeration.
One of my friends just decided not to apply to Cambridge because of Brexit (she/he is an international student from EU)

What do you think?

Oxford will undoubtedly be worse off following Brexit. It got so much EU money and do you know how international science research is? And the vast majority of our collaborations were with Europe. No doubt there will at least be a ton more paperwork to do to keep the same projects going now, if not a lot worse.

The economic concerns and likely cuts to research funding are obviously also huge.

Hopefully the worst fears (stopping of freedom of movement etc) will not be realised, but I fully understand your friend's concerns. Who can say what the future would hold if they went to Cambridge? Would they be able to stay here after? Could things get complicated even during the degree? No one can say for sure, and that's the problem.
Reply 2
I can build up my argument which is solely based on assumptions.

According to the 2015 University Ranking Oxford was the 6th University in the World based on the general evaluation. Oxford was and will be considered as a fancy-schmancy place with tremendous reputation and academic excellence. It is composed of highly professional and welcoming staff and is just the best.
Personally I think that the dynamics of the demography in the campus will change throughout the next few years. The international students are probably going to be replaced with UK students that own a citizenship. Nevertheless, I think that there wont occur any major fluctuations or deviations from the average number of applicants . Maybe there will be a non-significant drop of the number of applicants this year but that is not going to dramatically affect the statistics curve . The number of applicants is in a constant increase from year to year so...

I was not aware of the fact that Oxford is soooooooo dependent on EU , from the economical view point. I am afraid that it will fall into crisis.

I am still going to apply to Oxford since I think that Oxford can and will resolve the issues that it might encounter with in the future.
Original post by BioOx
I can build up my argument which is solely based on assumptions.

According to the 2015 University Ranking Oxford was the 6th University in the World based on the general evaluation. Oxford was and will be considered as a fancy-schmancy place with tremendous reputation and academic excellence. It is composed of highly professional and welcoming staff and is just the best.
Personally I think that the dynamics of the demography in the campus will change throughout the next few years. The international students are probably going to be replaced with UK students that own a citizenship. Nevertheless, I think that there wont occur any major fluctuations or deviations from the average number of applicants . Maybe there will be a non-significant drop of the number of applicants this year but that is not going to dramatically affect the statistics curve . The number of applicants is in a constant increase from year to year so...

I was not aware of the fact that Oxford is soooooooo dependent on EU , from the economical view point. I am afraid that it will fall into crisis.

I am still going to apply to Oxford since I think that Oxford can and will resolve the issues that it might encounter with in the future.

Its still in crisis after that Rhodes guy lol
Oxford sent out an email after the vote basically saying 'DW guys we've pulled through worse than this'. Nevertheless confirms that British universities are another thing that Brexit is bad for.
Original post by BioOx

Its a rich university, life will clearly go on.

Its just that its finding might take a slash, its scientists might be of slightly lower quality and its administrative burden might be increased.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending