The Student Room Group

Can your cars interior light drain your battery?

If the ignition is off but your light switch above your head is on, will that drain the cars battery or does the interior light have its own set of batteries?? Please bear in mind im not talking about the headlights. I mean the light switch usually located above the drivers head. Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that's coming from the main car battery. 10 minutes after a journey isn't going to hurt a healthy battery at all, leaving them on all night might cause trouble if your battery is already semi knackered but tbh people used to leave 'parking lights' on all night and still get a start in the morning and that was 2 bulbs the same power as 1 interior light.
Original post by sabrinaa1234
If the ignition is off but your light switch above your head is on, will that drain the cars battery or does the interior light have its own set of batteries?? Please bear in mind im not talking about the headlights. I mean the light switch usually located above the drivers head. Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine definitely does if left overnight
Reply 3
I've left one of my doors "on the latch" before, closed but open enough for the interior light to be on. *Came back the next morning to a flat battery. *

I've changed all the interior lights, boot light, glove box light, and puddle lights to LEDs on my current car. *So much brighter and much lower current draw. **
Original post by sabrinaa1234

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it can happen.
I know from experience. It happened to my car about 3 months ago.
As said, yes
But your battery must be near knackered.

A common issue is the boot light as if the switch fails, it can be on for days and the driver doesn't know.
Ask my wife: she leaves our van doors open all night and that's three lights. Overnight is fine. Go on a 2 week holiday and your battery will be flat when you get back.

Quick Reply

Latest