The Student Room Group

Psychology for AS or Further Maths?

So i am 90% sure I want to do medicine in uni, I chose Biology, Chemistry, Maths but wasn't sure if i should take Psychology or Further Maths..?
It really doesn't matter what you do a 4th in, med schools only care that you have biology, chemistry and one other to full A-level (and maybe a 4th to AS).
Personally I found psych to be extremely useful for the health psych content of the first 3 years of my medicine degree, but do whichever you will enjoy most & do best in.
But bear in mind that most med schools will not consider further maths to be a separate subject from maths, so if you are planning to apply somewhere that requires a 4th subject at AS then you should take psych.
Reply 2
Original post by theresheglows
It really doesn't matter what you do a 4th in, med schools only care that you have biology, chemistry and one other to full A-level (and maybe a 4th to AS).
Personally I found psych to be extremely useful for the health psych content of the first 3 years of my medicine degree, but do whichever you will enjoy most & do best in.
But bear in mind that most med schools will not consider further maths to be a separate subject from maths, so if you are planning to apply somewhere that requires a 4th subject at AS then you should take psych.

I see, well thank you!
Most medical schools in the UK don't care about AS's anymore because of the alevel reforms. Psychology is one of the hardest a levels and requires a lot of time. If you're good at maths then just do further maths but if you're not then stick with psychology.
Reply 4
Original post by doculmc7171
Most medical schools in the UK don't care about AS's anymore because of the alevel reforms. Psychology is one of the hardest a levels and requires a lot of time. If you're good at maths then just do further maths but if you're not then stick with psychology.

I'll think about it, I enjoy psychology and don't mind working hard, and i love maths too but not sure about taking even more maths
Original post by doculmc7171

Psychology is actually considered as one of the softer a-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest