Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I have failed?!?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

(Original post by mphysical)
    You should have gunned it in second as soon as you began straightening out of the corner.

Never put your foot down half way up a hill, it puts load on the engine.
    if you really need to drop a gear do it very quickly and try to keep the revs up, almost like double de-clutching.

Get you instructor to take you back there to practice.

And it is 'would/should have' not "would/should of".

I didn't know it was a hill around the corner as the view was completely restricted by bushes and trees so was unprepared for the gunning it tactic ha!

(Original post by Captivated)
    The negativity radiating off of you is extreme. OP clearly isn't asking you to be on their side, they want an OPINION. By sarcastically agreeing with them instead of forming your own rational viewpoint is unintelligent. You could have disagreed with OP if that's what you feel - but you end up acting unnecessarily unhelpful.
    I suggest you go back and read the whole thread then you'll understand the reason for my obviously tongue-in-cheek post.

(Original post by Cherrrose)
    I've never needed to drop to first either before. What should I of done ? If I carried on in second I think I would of eventually started rolling abckwards😝

The hill was so so steep and I didn't have much speed behind me due to the corner
    Accelerate (if safe i.e. no obstructions) before the incline, if the corner prevents that then you have to get a move on as soon as you've got round it and do you gear changes quicker - that means rev it high in first as soon as you get around the corner, it will be making a lot of noise and you will know when it wants to be in 2 second so you change as soon as you get to that point and again you get you foot down and keep it there until you're hitting at least 29mph (assuming you're not in 20 zone). If it only just reaches 20-29 in 2nd with your foot to the floor then I'd kept it in 2nd or else you'll totally lose power in 3rd.

To be honest - you have to use your own judgement (with a lot of driving issues) and you only start to get to that point with experience. Even now I'm still learning and I qualified years ago. If you'd never been on that hill before and you're a learner then it's understandable - ask your instructor to take you on test routes.

(Original post by Cherrrose)
    So yesterday I took my second driving test. I drove so well (usually I am very self critical) parked up at the end was so sure I passed.."unfortunately you have failed"
    The reason for my "serious" fault was I drove round a corner in second which then went straight up a steep hill, gear number two wasn't quite cutting it and was slowing so I dropped to one... That's why I failed... Because the car behind was slowed when in my eyes their on the same hill and I didn't invent physics! Was this harsh or am I just bitter?!
    You were in the wrong gear for the situation and then you failed to react to the problem that was caused by your mistake quickly enough and as a result you made another motorist take action to avoid a collision with your vehicle.

If you had judged the situation correctly then you would have either taken the bend in first gear or been ready to change down from second to first the moment you had finished taking the bend. Either course of action would have resulted in you maintaining your speed and not causing another motorist to have to take action to avoid a collision.

You failed because you screwed up, plain and simple.

You affected the driving of the car behind you. That is a a serious fault. You failed. Suck it up
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.