The Student Room Group

A levels for psychology degree- did I pick the wrong subjects??

Hi,I have decided to study psychology at university.I have just finished my AS exams in Politics, RS, English Lit and Classics.

I think that to get a place at a top uni I need to this year take up either an AS Level or whole A Level which is more related to Psychology. I'm considering doing Biology or Psychology (but Psychology isn't offered at my school so I would need to self teach it.)

Would just AS Level Biology alongside 3 Essay based A2 be appropriate? I'm not too keen on taking the whole Biology A Level in a year as I think it could jeopardise my other grades if I find it difficult.

Which options sound the best/ will put me in best stead for the degree course?
1. Politics, English, Classics A2s (with RS & Biology AS)
2. Politics, English, Classics A2s (with RS & Psychology AS)
3. English, Classics, Psychology A2s (with RS & Politics AS)

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiera28
Hi,I have decided to study psychology at university.I have just finished my AS exams in Politics, RS, English Lit and Classics.

I think that to get a place at a top uni I need to this year take up either an AS Level or whole A Level which is more related to Psychology. I'm considering doing Biology or Psychology (but Psychology isn't offered at my school so I would need to self teach it.)

Would just AS Level Biology alongside 3 Essay based A2 be appropriate? I'm not too keen on taking the whole Biology A Level in a year as I think it could jeopardise my other grades if I find it difficult.

Thank you!

Hi,

Firstly, it depends on which unis you are interested in. Many will give you lower offers or be more likely to want you with a psych/science/maths A Level...others will be less picky. Have a look at entry requirements for the ones you're looking at or ask on here.

Secondly, there's no reason that you absolutely need to do more than Politics, RS, English Lit and Classics. However, you will likely get given higher offers. For instance, because I studied maths and psych at a level I was offered AAB from Cardiff uni rather than AAA. Cardiff would certainly give you a chance, but the offer will almost certainly be at least AAA due to your lack of science.

I would choose either option 2 or 3. 3 would be ideal as obviously you'd have the A Level in psych, but if doing a whole A Level rushed is going to make your other grades lower I'd say it's not worth the risk. so 2 looks like a nice compromise. Failing this, I'd say just read around psych a lot and be able to show that you're very interested in the subject and committed to it in your personal statement - that way you don't have to do the whole A Level but show you've thought about the choice despite not studying it at school. Many schools dont do psych so they shouldn't mind if you don't have a formal qualification.
You really need at least one whole A-level in a science subject to get into any top uni.
Original post by Daniellecorni5h
Hi,

Firstly, it depends on which unis you are interested in. Many will give you lower offers or be more likely to want you with a psych/science/maths A Level...others will be less picky. Have a look at entry requirements for the ones you're looking at or ask on here.

Secondly, there's no reason that you absolutely need to do more than Politics, RS, English Lit and Classics. However, you will likely get given higher offers. For instance, because I studied maths and psych at a level I was offered AAB from Cardiff uni rather than AAA. Cardiff would certainly give you a chance, but the offer will almost certainly be at least AAA due to your lack of science.

I would choose either option 2 or 3. 3 would be ideal as obviously you'd have the A Level in psych, but if doing a whole A Level rushed is going to make your other grades lower I'd say it's not worth the risk. so 2 looks like a nice compromise. Failing this, I'd say just read around psych a lot and be able to show that you're very interested in the subject and committed to it in your personal statement - that way you don't have to do the whole A Level but show you've thought about the choice despite not studying it at school. Many schools dont do psych so they shouldn't mind if you don't have a formal qualification.

Thanks for the reply!!

None of the unis I'm looking at require science A Levels (Cardiff, Swansea, Exeter, Warwick, Durham, St. Andrews or Glasgow) but as the course will be science heavy, wouldn't biology AS be useful in proving my capability?
I think that to get a place at a top uni I need to
Original post by kiera28
this year take up either an AS Level or whole A Level which is more related to Psychology. I'm considering doing Biology or Psychology (but Psychology isn't offered at my school so I would need to self teach it.)

Thank you!

Best bet is Biology, Psychology and English. GO TO A SIXTH FORM THAT DOES ALL THE SUBJECTS YOU WANT TO DO !!
Original post by im.a.witch
I think that to get a place at a top uni I need to

Best bet is Biology, Psychology and English. GO TO A SIXTH FORM THAT DOES ALL THE SUBJECTS YOU WANT TO DO !!

I can't- I've already done my 4 AS exams in essay subjects..
Original post by kiera28
I can't- I've already done my 4 AS exams in essay subjects..

I don't think you took the right A levels for a psychology degree ? Psychology and Biology are pretty vital ?
I don't think you took the right A levels for a psychology degree ? Psychology and Biology are pretty vital ?

Are they? Most of the (good) universities I've looked at don't state any required or preferred subjects; just high grades.
Reply 8
If those universities don't require specific subjects, you should be fine with what you're doing. Focus on getting the best grades in those. If you're in doubt, you could always phone or email the unis to ask them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiera28
Are they? Most of the (good) universities I've looked at don't state any required or preferred subjects; just high grades.

Most (good) universities want Psychology AND A 2ND SCIENCE.
Most (good) universities want Psychology AND A 2ND SCIENCE.

Even if this isn't stated in their entry requirements?

Original post by .sophia
If those universities don't require specific subjects, you should be fine with what you're doing. Focus on getting the best grades in those. If you're in doubt, you could always phone or email the unis to ask them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea- I think I'll email any unis that don't make it clear that they'll accept any A Level combinations. Thanks!
FOR Oxford Psychology course here is the link detailing the requirements.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/psychology-experimental?wssl=1
Okay, it's the same for Newcastle, Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds and such but I don't want to go to any of those unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
While some universities do require you to have one or more science subjects (in which Psychology may or may not be included), there are plenty of good universities that do not require this. The difference in all the 'top' universities when it comes to Psychology is pretty negligible any way - if you're planning on a career where the employers are known to place a high emphasis on university prestige (I.e. in the City of London) then you'll want to make sure you go to a higher ranked one, but not even all of these require a science. If I was selecting a university now I'd prioritise a placement year above all else.

Quick Reply

Latest