The Student Room Group

Teach First 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by A409
Hello, I have my assessment day in a few days and was wondering if anyone could give advice on the sample lesson? I'm quite nervous as I just don't know what to expect, especially with all the mixed reviews! Is it really difficult to get anything taught and do you automatically fail if you don't use up all the time or get stopped when unfinished. I know it's all about planning and preparation but I have no idea just how distracting the assessors will be....Thank you!

I think in general the sample lesson is more to see how you cope under class conditions/ how engaging, rather than if you can teach. As you only get 7 minutes they aren't expecting you to be able to teach the whole of the subject.

My main recommendation would be prepare to be distracted. Look up some positive behaviour management tips (I was applying for Primary so when the kids were distracted I put my hand in the air and counted to 5).

I would also do a activity which you can cut down if necessary - I prepared a activity with 6 questions - due to timings I only did one. It didn't matter though because they were none the wiser that I'd had to cut stuff out.

The assessors will stop you if you go over time. They have a clock in the room so you can see how much you have left - to stay in control I just said something like 'Okay that's all we have time for today'. When I practiced my lesson at home it was only about 4 minutes in length, as I left time for distractions.

After the lesson you have to answer some reflective questions. This is a great opportunity to state what you would do differently if for any reason anything does go wrong. They want people to acknowledge what needs to be improved, and what they did well.

Don't worry too much. The lesson was what I was most nervous for, but the part of the process I enjoyed the most.

I hope that helps :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by crowey
I think in general the sample lesson is more to see how you cope under class conditions/ how engaging, rather than if you can teach. As you only get 7 minutes they aren't expecting you to be able to teach the whole of the subject.

My main recommendation would be prepare to be distracted. Look up some positive behaviour management tips (I was applying for Primary so when the kids were distracted I put my hand in the air and counted to 5).

I would also do a activity which you can cut down if necessary - I prepared a activity with 6 questions - due to timings I only did one. It didn't matter though because they were none the wiser that I'd had to cut stuff out.

The assessors will stop you if you go over time. They have a clock in the room so you can see how much you have left - to stay in control I just said something like 'Okay that's all we have time for today'. When I practiced my lesson at home it was only about 4 minutes in length, as I left time for distractions.

After the lesson you have to answer some reflective questions. This is a great opportunity to state what you would do differently if for any reason anything does go wrong. They want people to acknowledge what needs to be improved, and what they did well.

Don't worry too much. The lesson was what I was most nervous for, but the part of the process I enjoyed the most.

I hope that helps :smile:
Great thank you! Yeah I'm applying for KS3 so I don't want to be too patronizing or too strict! Hoping instinct will kick in. Thanks for all your help! Were you successful? The more I look into it, the more I want it, but then the more nervous I get. :redface:
Reply 22
Original post by A409
Great thank you! Yeah I'm applying for KS3 so I don't want to be too patronizing or too strict! Hoping instinct will kick in. Thanks for all your help! Were you successful? The more I look into it, the more I want it, but then the more nervous I get. :redface:

Yeah I was successful, really excited to start. Just need to find out my location now :biggrin:One of the girls who was at the assessment centre, said she thought one of the assessors was pretending to be a kid who had English as a second language. So maybe prepare for that?

What subject are you applying for?
Hi everyone,

I'm Joseph and I'm on the Primary 2017 cohort! I also haven't even started my CKA (which I should really do) but it's great seeing lots of people are doing Primary :smile:
Original post by A409

It is quite nerve-wracking, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous on the day, but really all the assessors want is to see you succeed! As long as you show the competencies and make sure you make it clear to them that you know what the competencies are, you will be absolutely fine :smile: The day actually ends up being quite fun. Best of luck for it!
Original post by Jsouassou
Hi everyone,

I'm Joseph and I'm on the Primary 2017 cohort! I also haven't even started my CKA (which I should really do) but it's great seeing lots of people are doing Primary :smile:

Hey Joseph! Congrats on your offer :smile: The CKA is definitely quite a piece of work. Ended up doing a lot of mine in the last two days before the deadline and regretting doing it that way - never again! Get started early if you can do :wink:
I had my assessment centre last week and found out I was rejected. Pretty angry at the moment, but they will give me feedback, so that will hopefully clarify things. I might not be correct, but I've been left with the feeling that they actually assess your interview skills and they judge by externals, rather than your real potential for teaching and leadership (saying this after loads of teaching and public speaking/leadership experience). I will have to toughen up and improve those interview skills (I prepared two examples for each competency, but the way they asked the questions just puzzled me sometimes and I even had to think of new examples on the spot). Not going to apply again for some time, but I have loads of other plans/ideas instead. Best of luck to everyone! :smile:
Original post by star9005
I had my assessment centre last week and found out I was rejected. Pretty angry at the moment, but they will give me feedback, so that will hopefully clarify things. I might not be correct, but I've been left with the feeling that they actually assess your interview skills and they judge by externals, rather than your real potential for teaching and leadership (saying this after loads of teaching and public speaking/leadership experience). I will have to toughen up and improve those interview skills (I prepared two examples for each competency, but the way they asked the questions just puzzled me sometimes and I even had to think of new examples on the spot). Not going to apply again for some time, but I have loads of other plans/ideas instead. Best of luck to everyone! :smile:

I'm sorry to hear you got rejected! The fact that they assess on competencies works out great for some people, and not for others. If you've got a lot of teaching experience, then you definitely have potential to be a teacher - shame they didn't let you on. But like you say, the feedback call will be really helpful. When I failed the first time, it really helped to clarify why I didn't get on and exactly which competencies they felt needed boosting and which sections let me down. And having that experience of the interview will help you if you do decide to apply again.

Good luck for whatever you choose to do now! :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by crowey
Yeah I was successful, really excited to start. Just need to find out my location now :biggrin:One of the girls who was at the assessment centre, said she thought one of the assessors was pretending to be a kid who had English as a second language. So maybe prepare for that?

What subject are you applying for?

Congratulations! On the day RS but for the application if successful I'm eligible to teach either ICT or primary. Oh that seems tricky! Just going to hope for the best really. Adapted a little game and tried to get them as involved as possible. I'm nervous but getting excited. If all else fails at least it'll be an experience! Quick question though (sorry) you know the minute planning time, we have allocated is that in addition to the 7 minutes or included? And how would you advise I prepare for the group task? I've got examples for each of the competencies and tried to research the company and programme but now I'm stuck what to do...
Reply 29
Original post by leannesagoodman
It is quite nerve-wracking, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous on the day, but really all the assessors want is to see you succeed! As long as you show the competencies and make sure you make it clear to them that you know what the competencies are, you will be absolutely fine :smile: The day actually ends up being quite fun. Best of luck for it!

Congratulations on your offer and thank you! Hopefully this time next week I'll have an answer and it'll be done 🙂
Reply 30
Original post by A409
Congratulations! On the day RS but for the application if successful I'm eligible to teach either ICT or primary. Oh that seems tricky! Just going to hope for the best really. Adapted a little game and tried to get them as involved as possible. I'm nervous but getting excited. If all else fails at least it'll be an experience! Quick question though (sorry) you know the minute planning time, we have allocated is that in addition to the 7 minutes or included? And how would you advise I prepare for the group task? I've got examples for each of the competencies and tried to research the company and programme but now I'm stuck what to do...

I also used a game for my task and it was a good way to engage 'the children' very quickly. The minute planning time is additional, so don't worry about that. I just wrote the date on the board, and my name in my planning time.
I didn't do any preparation for the group task, ideally you just want to be supportive of the other members, be conscious of time, and don't interrupt people.

When is your assessment centre?
Hey Joseph! Congrats on your offer :smile: The CKA is definitely quite a piece of work. Ended up doing a lot of mine in the last two days before the deadline and regretting doing it that way - never again! Get started early if you can do :wink:

Thank you :smile: I'm assuming you're doing primary right? How academic did you make your CKA; did you add lots of citations etc?
Original post by Jsouassou
Thank you :smile: I'm assuming you're doing primary right? How academic did you make your CKA; did you add lots of citations etc?

I am doing primary :smile: I didn't actually use any citations, although that's not to say that I thought that not doing that was the right thing to do. To be honest, I'm expecting them to come back with a lot of feedback for how I could improve mine, because while it showed a reasonable amount of knowledge, I'm not sure I gave them what they were looking for.

How is yours coming along?
Hi everyone - I am a mature (35 yr old) student and am going to apply for TF around the 8th August. The only problem I have is that I did not complete my a levels, so only have my first degree (1st class) and masters. Has anyone had any advice re: not having the 300 UCAS points?
I'm sorry to hear you got rejected! The fact that they assess on competencies works out great for some people, and not for others. If you've got a lot of teaching experience, then you definitely have potential to be a teacher - shame they didn't let you on. But like you say, the feedback call will be really helpful. When I failed the first time, it really helped to clarify why I didn't get on and exactly which competencies they felt needed boosting and which sections let me down. And having that experience of the interview will help you if you do decide to apply again.

Good luck for whatever you choose to do now! :smile:

Thanks! :smile: I received the call last week and they were super nice. I got reassurance about my teaching, so at least that helped keep my confidence as a teacher. :biggrin:

Interestingly, their main problem wasn't the interview (that one went quite well actually), but the group task which I thought went better - not going to give away what they thought applicants should do more of, but it is all clear to me now. I can apply for the 2017 intake again, starting with the 8th August, so it might take one or two months (can't be bothered sooner than that - although never say never) and I could find myself applying for it again! :smile:
Original post by star9005
Thanks! :smile: I received the call last week and they were super nice. I got reassurance about my teaching, so at least that helped keep my confidence as a teacher. :biggrin:

Interestingly, their main problem wasn't the interview (that one went quite well actually), but the group task which I thought went better - not going to give away what they thought applicants should do more of, but it is all clear to me now. I can apply for the 2017 intake again, starting with the 8th August, so it might take one or two months (can't be bothered sooner than that - although never say never) and I could find myself applying for it again! :smile:

Excellent! I'm glad that they gave you what you needed to know and was so helpful! The feedback call is pretty useful for knowing what to change. Fingers crossed you do apply again in the main intake and succeed!
Reply 36
Just received an email offering me a place for 2017! :smile:

I attended the assessment centre on Friday, so I am really impressed with how quickly they got back to me. To anyone applying: stay positive, and just enjoy the day - everybody was honestly super nice!
Woooooo! Excellent, congratulations! What will you be teaching? :smile:
Reply 38
Just been made an offer to teach ICT for 2017! 🎉🎉🎉
Reply 39
Hi everyone. I have my assessment centre on Thursday and I'm not majorly panicked about it, however I just wanted to get some people's thoughts on what kind of behaviour management techniques to use for Key Stage 3? I don't want to be patronising however I obviously want to do something effective. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending