The Student Room Group

Teach First 2017

Hello!

I've been searching around for a Teach First 2017 thread but there doesn't seem to be one... so I thought I'd start it :smile:. Are there any other 2017 applicants out there?

I'm booked in for the assessment day on the 7th July. Excited but nervous!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello,

I had my assessment centre earlier in the week and have just found out I have been successful :smile:.
My advice would be to practice the competencies, have two examples for each, and also be prepared for distractions in your lesson plan.

The 7 minute lesson is about how you cope with the unexpected and adapt, and also how you make your lesson engaging.

Hope that helps - I'm sure you'll be fine. Getting through to the assessment centre is an achievement in itself!
Hey guys! I had my assessment centre yesterday for the 2017 cohort. I'm really hoping I get on this year - I tried last year and didn't get it - so keeping my fingers crossed!

Best of luck to everybody applying!
Original post by leannesagoodman
Hey guys! I had my assessment centre yesterday for the 2017 cohort. I'm really hoping I get on this year - I tried last year and didn't get it - so keeping my fingers crossed!

Best of luck to everybody applying!

Hi Leanne - I had my assessment centre on Tuesday too, so I must have seen you there! Have you heard back?

You do know there are other ways into teaching?

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/teaching-events/train-to-teach-events

Good luck!
Original post by neutralmilks
Hi Leanne - I had my assessment centre on Tuesday too, so I must have seen you there! Have you heard back?

Ah, excellent! I must have seen you during the day.

I'm thrilled to say that literally on the day I posted that, they gave me an offer to teach Primary! Have you heard back about yours? I hope it was good news!
Reply 6
Hey, How is everybody getting on with applying/assessment centres?
I have an assessment day on 2nd August 2016. :smile:
Ah, excellent! I must have seen you during the day.

I'm thrilled to say that literally on the day I posted that, they gave me an offer to teach Primary! Have you heard back about yours? I hope it was good news!

Ah congratulations, that's amazing! :smile: I got an offer too last Wednesday, also to teach Primary. Such a relief after everything on the day!
How are you getting on with the CKA and everything else? There's so much to think about!
Reply 8
Congratulations!! What sort of questions do they ask you in the competency interview?
Ah congratulations, that's amazing! :smile: I got an offer too last Wednesday, also to teach Primary. Such a relief after everything on the day!
How are you getting on with the CKA and everything else? There's so much to think about!

That's brilliant! So pleased to hear you got on too, and for the same area!

The CKA is really stressing me out ... I'm stuck on the first question! Slightly worrying that it's due by Friday, but I'm sure I can pull it out of the bag. It's just hard not knowing what a university tutor wants, but I suppose the worst that can happen is that we don't do it well and have to redo it. How are you finding it?
That's brilliant! So pleased to hear you got on too, and for the same area!

The CKA is really stressing me out ... I'm stuck on the first question! Slightly worrying that it's due by Friday, but I'm sure I can pull it out of the bag. It's just hard not knowing what a university tutor wants, but I suppose the worst that can happen is that we don't do it well and have to redo it. How are you finding it?

I know, how nice that we're both for Primary! What area preferences did you put down on your application? That's the part which is starting to feel a bit more real now..

I know what you mean about the CKA, I have my skills tests on Friday too... I've not been in university for a year because of my year abroad, so I'm a bit out of practice when it comes to writing for a university tutor. I'm just trying to draw on my own experiences as much as possible so then I'll hopefully get something useful from the feedback on areas I need to improve etc.
I know, how nice that we're both for Primary! What area preferences did you put down on your application? That's the part which is starting to feel a bit more real now..

I know what you mean about the CKA, I have my skills tests on Friday too... I've not been in university for a year because of my year abroad, so I'm a bit out of practice when it comes to writing for a university tutor. I'm just trying to draw on my own experiences as much as possible so then I'll hopefully get something useful from the feedback on areas I need to improve etc.

My preferences are the Midlands, London, and South East, so I'm hoping I get somewhere within those. I'm quite flexible on location, but I won't lie - London would be nice to return to! Where did you put down?

Ah, that's a tricky one. Definitely harder when you're out of practice, but we'll both get there eventually! Although I've only just started question 2, and I'm stumped again. Gonna be a long night ...Oh well. If this needs redoing, then it needs redoing. Not much that can be done about it when we're not PGCE level yet.

Best of luck to you with your CKA!
Quick thought - anyone who gets offered a place, if you'd like to take part in Run The River to represent some of the 2017 cohort, do shout! It could be nice to have some people on TSR and on the 2017 cohort running as a team.
Reply 13
Hello, I have my assessment day in a few days and was wondering if anyone could give advice on the sample lesson? I'm quite nervous as I just don't know what to expect, especially with all the mixed reviews! Is it really difficult to get anything taught and do you automatically fail if you don't use up all the time or get stopped when unfinished. I know it's all about planning and preparation but I have no idea just how distracting the assessors will be....Thank you!
I got rejected, so I am salty about teach first. I have no idea why they would reject me so I am gonna find something else to do.
Maybes its my 280 UCAS points which they said on the phone do not matter, or the low module % in 3rd year indicating my predicted grade was unlikely but I got my 2:1 MWHAHA!
Its a great opportunity but I spent hours perfecting my application so the rejection hurt, I am not too motivated to apply again :'(.

I do however have a TA job for the next year which seems amazingly fun !
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm confused - the site says you can't apply for Teach First (2017), till Aug 8th? How have you guys applied?
Reply 16
Original post by ciaraprunty3
I'm confused - the site says you can't apply for Teach First (2017), till Aug 8th? How have you guys applied?

They do it in like waves I think. There was a chance for early applications to be submitted before end of June. Good luck with your application!
Original post by A409
They do it in like waves I think. There was a chance for early applications to be submitted before end of June. Good luck with your application!

Oh thanks, that makes sense :smile: was panicking (hopefully it won't be full up already :frown: ) What kind of stuff do they ask you on the application form? Looking online and can't find much info
Reply 18
Oh thanks, that makes sense :smile: was panicking (hopefully it won't be full up already :frown: ) What kind of stuff do they ask you on the application form? Looking online and can't find much info

They just ask questions relating to their competencies asking for examples to demonstrate them! I wouldn't stress too much about it :smile:
Reply 19

They just ask questions relating to their competencies asking for examples to demonstrate them! I wouldn't stress too much about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending