Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

To Remain is not progressive, to leave is not reactionary

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm not insulting anyone with this, first of all. But please read this article, it articulates my feelings about the misrepresentation and trivialization of 'leave' and the misguided notion that 'remain' is the progressive option.

Washington has always wanted us in the EU. This is not to Europe's benefit, nor ours.

"Britain has, particularly in recent years, played an important role in trying to get the EU to agree to policies which by any objective assessment are against European interests, but which could be said to further the interests of US neocons."

I have to be cynical here, I can't contain it, but it seems like Leave is the more objective side. What you often see from remain is lazy mindedness, a sort of self-satisfied, entitled mentality, and a belief that it is a given that they take the moral high ground. I profoundly regret leave having to attain a narrow, pyrrhic victory over them in a debased argument , I really wish there were more open minded, thoughtful, and frankly less brainwashed 'progressives' about who could see how remain supports the globalist, dehumanizing economic and political agenda, how it's one more nail in the coffin to opposing it and for democratic control for peoples.

To indicate what I mean; I'm always ready for some giant grinning poster of Farage, or some nonsense about little Englanders, even if I try and post an argument such as the above that would make any progressive feel antipathy to EU membership.It's quite dark in that they've unquestioningly they've been converted to side with the very things they should dislike according to their proclaimed values. Either that, or they are just very shallow and opportunistic.

And another excellent article analysing what's driving these things happening in world politics.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.