The Student Room Group

Combination for A-Levels

Hello, I wanted to know whether the following combination is fine in A-Levels for pursuing an undergraduate degree in Economics (Humanities) or Law.

Economics
English (Language)
Business
Sociology

Thank you.
Looks good, English lit would be better than language tho.
I would take Maths over Economics any day, even if you're just taking a humanity course (does that exist?). For Law you're okay, I would recommend English Lit over Language but you don't need English Lit at all. Overall your choices show a focus in the humanities which is good, though be wary that some of those options are considered 'soft' by top unis. They will be awesome with most places but some especially Cambridge mention that these subjects are less strong ones to take.

Good luck next year :smile:
Reply 3
if economics is one of your plans then youre going to need maths. Also doing both economics and business is often looked down upon because they overlap
I second @drogon. If you want to study Economics, the vast majority of top universities require A-Level Maths. Also I'm not sure if Sociology counts as an essay writing subject or how prestigious it is, but I have no idea.

If I was in your position, I would take English Literature, Economics, Mathematics and something like History or a language. But that's just my opinion.
Original post by Edminzodo
I second @drogon. If you want to study Economics, the vast majority of top universities require A-Level Maths. Also I'm not sure if Sociology counts as an essay writing subject or how prestigious it is, but I have no idea.

If I was in your position, I would take English Literature, Economics, Mathematics and something like History or a language. But that's just my opinion.

Agree 100%. You will definitely need Maths, unless you aim to pursue a career in the arts, English, or Law. Since your subjects indicate an inclination towards the social sciences, start Mathematics asap!

I think Business is fine as an option though, so you can keep English Literature, Economics, Mathematics, and Business.

Best of luck!
Original post by skyla0607
Agree 100%. You will definitely need Maths, unless you aim to pursue a career in the arts, English, or Law. Since your subjects indicate an inclination towards the social sciences, start Mathematics asap!

I think Business is fine as an option though, so you can keep English Literature, Economics, Mathematics, and Business.

Best of luck!

A lot of universities actually dislike candidates having both Economics and Business because they are viewed as too similar. :smile:
Reply 7
It's a good combination to go with BUT Lit could be a better option than Lang if you would be willing to do it because it shows you can examine texts well.

Depending on what uni you want to go to, Business is seen as one of the softest A-Levels you can do to the likes of Oxbridge
Original post by Edminzodo
A lot of universities actually dislike candidates having both Economics and Business because they are viewed as too similar. :smile:

Good point! I actually just came across this today: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/ba/guide.pdf
Cambridge itself says that taking Economics and Business together is not recommended. So trade it for History or Geography instead?

Quick Reply

Latest