The Student Room Group

£440 in rent to my parents -- is it fair?

Scroll to see replies

I pay £200 a month. But I'm 22 and I've been paying that since I was 16, and I just have my room, not a floor as in your case. So it dosen't seem totally unreasonable. Their house, their rules.
Reply 21
Original post by doodle_333
you're 28, you shouldn't be expecting handouts from your parents

they're still losing money compared to if they rented it to someone else and my guess is you're still saving money compared to living somewhere else so yes, it's fair

but we are family... no im not saving money.
Reply 22
Original post by RowanB
I pay £200 a month. But I'm 22 and I've been paying that since I was 16, and I just have my room, not a floor as in your case. So it dosen't seem totally unreasonable. Their house, their rules.

the couple that lived here before, some months ago, paid £250 a month.
Reply 23
Original post by doodle_333
you're 28, you shouldn't be expecting handouts from your parents

they're still losing money compared to if they rented it to someone else and my guess is you're still saving money compared to living somewhere else so yes, it's fair

ok they may be "losing money" but we are family.

and I have lived here just a few months and have managed to take care of myself without any problems for since i was 19
Reply 24
Original post by emerald777
the couple that lived here before, some months ago, paid £250 a month.

You aren't Italian are you?

If not, move out. It's really quite simple. And perhaps that's what your parents want anyway.

It's time to make your own way in the world :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello, I am a 28 year old student and pay £440 in rent to my parents and I pay my own bills and food. But I wonder if this is reasonable. In order to be able to pay the rent, I must in addition to student loans also work to pay the rent.

The house is big and I live in a floor for myself that has everything you need. Floor serves as an apartment. My parents have good jobs and no financial worries.

Theys say that the floor is worth £550 a month. Therefore, I also take care of the garden for free, such as cutting the grass.

What do you think? grateful for your opinions :smile:

Wow, honestly since you buy your own food and pay your own bills, the price should be alot less... I would say maximum £250 a month..
I don't think thats fair. I don't want to live with my parents forever but I don't expect them to charge me for living with them. When I get a job I would want to help with the bills and stuff but I really don't think they'd charge me for rent.
but we are family... no im not saving money.

if you're not saving anything then move out
Reply 28
Original post by jneill
You aren't Italian are you?

If not, move out. It's really quite simple. And perhaps that's what your parents want anyway.

It's time to make your own way in the world :smile:

nope Im not italian, I moved in a few months ago.I think not because they want to rent out this floor regardless. also they were happy that I was moving in.

however it feels wrong giving all my money to them, especially considering their economy is good and I dont have full-time job because I am studying temporarily.
Hello, I am a 28 year old student and pay £440 in rent to my parents and I pay my own bills and food. But I wonder if this is reasonable. In order to be able to pay the rent, I must in addition to student loans also work to pay the rent.

The house is big and I live in a floor for myself that has everything you need. Floor serves as an apartment. My parents have good jobs and no financial worries.

Theys say that the floor is worth £550 a month. Therefore, I also take care of the garden for free, such as cutting the grass.

What do you think? grateful for your opinions :smile:

Depends on where you live, I pay £225 a month all bills inclusive except food bills
Reply 30
small town in nordic country.
small town in nordic country.

Ah, that explains it, nordic countries are always more expensive
Reply 32
Original post by So Instinct
Great deal for a 'apartment'.

As for "fair", you won't find anything near that if you move out so at the age of 28 you should appreciate that. You're not 16 anymore, you've had time to get your life in order.

Must be nice to only have to pay £20, privilege is alive and kicking.

This. OP is not a child or fresh out of college, he/she is a 28 year old adult - if you can find cheaper move out, if not you have to suck it up I'm afraid
Reply 33
Wow, how big is your place? I'm in a 3 bedroom house and its £525 plus about 100 in bills
Reply 34
Original post by Tw1x
This. OP is not a child or fresh out of college, he/she is a 28 year old adult - if you can find cheaper move out, if not you have to suck it up I'm afraid

i would have no problem with paying this amount if i had a full-time job or if my parents had difficulties making the economy go together.

When I read on other forums people say that it is wrong to pay rent to their parents if you have bad economy. but here people seems to think its in order.
Reply 35
hello, i am a 28 year old student and pay £440 in rent to my parents and i pay my own bills and food. But i wonder if this is reasonable. In order to be able to pay the rent, i must in addition to student loans also work to pay the rent.

The house is big and i live in a floor for myself that has everything you need. Floor serves as an apartment. My parents have good jobs and no financial worries.

Theys say that the floor is worth £550 a month. Therefore, i also take care of the garden for free, such as cutting the grass.

What do you think? Grateful for your opinions :smile:

you pay all that money? You have to pay your own parents to have shelter?! Im done. Lol thats pathetic!!! Wow.
Reply 36
i would have no problem with paying this amount if i had a full-time job or if my parents had difficulties making the economy go together.

When I read on other forums people say that it is wrong to pay rent to their parents if you have bad economy. but here people seems to think its in order.

It's pretty much because you are 28. You are old enough to make your own decisions and to be responsible for them. If you don't want to pay 5000 krona to your parents you don't have to.

Move out, and move on.
How much would it cost you to move out and rent? Think about it like that.
My mortgage is less than that.

And the rent for the one bed flat I had all to myself before that was less than that.

You can do better. And, tbh, at 28 you should do better.
Reply 39
Original post by Drewski
My mortgage is less than that.

And the rent for the one bed flat I had all to myself before that was less than that.

You can do better. And, tbh, at 28 you should do better.

OP is not in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending