The Student Room Group

Brexit is all about jealousy

No one can deny its the old, uneducated and poor that have screwed things up young, educated and well off.

Those poor, uneducated people who produce little and gets ignored because they have little impact on world gets the chance to stick it to those that have a chance to make something of their lives.

They want to pull them down to their level so they get noticed, their 15 minutes of fame, like a contestant on Big Brother or X factor before sliding back into anonymity.

So its not surprising its the poor and old who bang on about sovereignty, taking back control and keeping out foreigners, all issues with a lack of control.

The poor have been told what to do all their lives by employers, bureaucrats and never listened to. They get a chance to take control and they use it to do the most damage to those they think have a better chance in life, chances they never had.

Its jealousy.

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

Original post by Maker
No one can deny its the old, uneducated and poor that have screwed things up young, educated and well off.

Those poor, uneducated people who produce little and gets ignored because they have little impact on world gets the chance to stick it to those that have a chance to make something of their lives.

They want to pull them down to their level so they get noticed, their 15 minutes of fame, like a contestant on Big Brother or X factor before sliding back into anonymity.

So its not surprising its the poor and old who bang on about sovereignty, taking back control and keeping out foreigners, all issues with a lack of control.

The poor have been told what to do all their lives by employers, bureaucrats and never listened to. They get a chance to take control and they use it to do the most damage to those they think have a better chance in life, chances they never had.

Its jealousy.

tonight i bathe in your tears. Stop winging.
Original post by Maker

Its jealousy.

Many older people voted leave, not somehow to spite the younger generation, but because they have fought for democracy, can see that the EU doesn't provide that and because they care about us.

Take a look at the story of these war veterans:

"Colin Ashford, 97, who survived the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940, said:

‘Under the EU all the democratic freedom we had in the pre-war days in the 20s and 30s, all that has been eroded away by the EU.‘We want to become more of a democratic country again.

'Lieutenant Francis Goode, 92, said: ‘I don’t want my grandchildren and their children to be subservient to a different country, we fought for freedom for Britain.’"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...untry-end.html
(edited 7 years ago)
I am rich and im poor now because of brexit :frown:
Since when have the old been jealous of the young lol

What are they jealous of, the student debt or the prospects in the housing market
Reply 6
I actually agree. I think the low-skilled majority in our work-force have felt completely inadequate for the last couple of years. They see hard-working, educated Europeans come here and thrive, whilst they are just getting by. It makes it worse because they're being encouraged by a community that inherited affluence, are incredibly entitled as a result and want to see a return to the 1970's. I think many of leave voters are completely delusional; they believe that somehow we'll manage to negotiate a trade deal that allows us access to the single market whilst at the same time employing an Australian point-based immigration system. Typical of a group completely blinded by delusion of grandeur and shite bigotry masked as patriotism.
What a load of nonsense.

It is correct that many people quite n naturally boted for self interest, as do people in any election.
Original post by Platopus
Many older people voted leave, not somehow to spite the younger generation, but because they have fought for democracy, can see that the EU doesn't provide that and because they care about us.

‘Under the EU all the democratic freedom we had in the pre-war days in the 20s and 30s, all that has been eroded away by the EU.‘We want to become more of a democratic country again.

'Lieutenant Francis Goode, 92, said: ‘I don’t want my grandchildren and their children to be subservient to a different country, we fought for freedom for Britain.’"

I've been seeing this in meme form on Facebook constantly for the past two days and its utterly moronic. You do realise the vast majority of elderly voters did not fight in World War Two, right? And using two of them cherrypicked as an example does not mean that the elderly as a whole have "fought for democracy" and therefore want to bring democracy back *facepalm*
Original post by Tabstercat
I've been seeing this in meme form on Facebook constantly for the past two days and its utterly moronic. You do realise the vast majority of elderly voters did not fight in World War Two, right? And using two of them cherrypicked as an example does not mean that the elderly as a whole have "fought for democracy" and therefore want to bring democracy back *facepalm*

Likewise the vast majority of elderly voters were not motivated by jealousy
Likewise the vast majority of elderly voters were not motivated by jealousy

Jealousy, no, I don't think so. A mixture of being misinformed, lied to, xenophobic, afraid of change, nostalgic, that's more likely.
Jealousy, no, I don't think so. A mixture of being misinformed, lied to, xenophobia, afraid of change, nostalgic, that's more likely.

Or perhaps the benefit of life experience
Or perhaps the benefit of life experience

What kind of life experience, pray tell?

Outdated attitude based on patriotism. At the end of the day, loving England isn't going to get you anywhere in life. That's a War-related attitude. It is no longer applicable or relevant. They haven't done it with our best interests at heart - they've ****ed them up.
What kind of life experience, pray tell?

Politics, the economy, actually having a job, the effect the EU has had on their lives... Etc etc etc
Original post by ivybridge
Outdated attitude based on patriotism. At the end of the day, loving England isn't going to get you anywhere in life. That's a War-related attitude. It is no longer applicable or relevant. They haven't done it with our best interests at heart - they've ****ed them up.

That's right, they acted purely out of spite
That's right, they acted purely out of spite

I don't think that either.
Reply 17
I'm sick of the arrogance this generation has accept you don't know everything and that sometimes things won't go your own way and get on with life instead of moaning about old people who have seen how the eu has evolved and realised we shouldn't tie our future to it.
Politics, the economy, actually having a job, the effect the EU has had on their lives... Etc etc etc

more detail...could say exactly the same thing as 25+ people voting remain. After all, many of them will have worked for most of their lives. It's not like there's a certain point where you've had a job long enough and suddenly become more knowledgeable about politics and economics than before.
Reply 19
Enough with being critical of "older people" or "uneducated people" or "poor people".

The fact is if young people had been arsed to vote then you wouldn't be in this situation. And by young I mean those under 35. Not just a few teenagers.

Now that you ARE in this situation it's up to this generation to make the best of it.

I suspect at the end of the Brexit process nothing very much will really change, except, regrettably, a potential rise in xenophobia. It's up to you to ensure that that isn't allowed to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest