The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering

I finished my first year of A levels, and will be applying for universities next year, I have virtually 0 work experience in the field of engineering, although I have tried applying for certain things.

Any advice on how to improve my personal statement? I'm not too sure about what summer schools are either, or any that are engineering related (Don't get much information or opportunities at my sixth form). Would this affect chances of getting into a good university?

If there are any summer schools I can sign up for now please do let me know.
Original post by Fahimul3
I finished my first year of A levels, and will be applying for universities next year, I have virtually 0 work experience in the field of engineering, although I have tried applying for certain things.

Any advice on how to improve my personal statement? I'm not too sure about what summer schools are either, or any that are engineering related (Don't get much information or opportunities at my sixth form). Would this affect chances of getting into a good university?

Hey there,

The majority of universities will look primarily (if not exclusively) at your grades. Engineering at university is very academic, if you can prove you have solid grades for sciences and maths, A's typically, then you'll have a good shot at most places. Good grades goes ahead of everything.

If you are interested in more competitive universities, then that's where extra-curriculars would help. Experience with a company may help a bit, but joining or leading a club with an engineering project will help tremendously. Honestly, I've not heard too much about attending summer schools, unless people are looking to boost grades/classes they've struggled with.

Hope this helps,

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Original post by Fahimul3

As Scott says, you don't need any experience to get into an engineering degree (see the FAQ) because to get engineering experience you need an engineering qualification first.

If you want to boost your PS you could do your own engineering projects (e.g. buy an arduino kit and play around with it) or read some relevant books, for example. But it's primarily your grades that they are concerned with, and hence ensuring that you achieve the required grades for the courses you are going to apply to should be your main concern - and if you can exceed them, even better.
Reply 3
Alright thanks, that's some pressure dropped.

Can you suggest any good books to read on for engineering in general and mechanical, thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Engineering at university is very academic...

I think it slightly depends on the course and the Uni, it is always an academic basis, but some are better at augmenting that with practical and applied material than others, as well as having projects based with external industries.

- What strain of engineering are you doing? I am a mechanical engineer at heart, although my job also involves some electrical (if not electronic) work.

Personally I didn't have any formal experience, other than a 1 week school work placement with a team of on-site repair blokes at a process plant. However I did have a lot of hobbies that where fairly engineering based, messing about with kit, fixing things like my parents trailer.

If you are looking for something to do over summer, I dont think it has to be a formal 'summer school' why not just find something interesting to do. Approach a local fabrication company and offer to do a few weeks working for them on a trail basis. Even if you hate getting that 'hands on' it iwll give valuable experience of what its like being the bloke making what you are designing. Or sign up to volunteer at preserved railway line, or anything else the takes your fancy.

Daniel
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending