The Student Room Group

Should I get Facebook for uni?

Hey guys, I'm looking to start university this year and I wanted to know whether I should make a Facebook account to join uni group chats to meet people who are doing the same course etc... I do have other social media such as Instagram, Twitter and snapchat. I don't know whether I should make an account, the only thing that is putting me off is family because they're really nosey and i won't really be using it to post anything. What should I do? I know that if I block them they'll ask me about it and will make a fuss over it. Any help is appreciated 💕
Reply 1
Yeah you might as well... it is quite useful
I think it'll be good. I joined a lot of groups before I started university and got chatting to a lot of people. So by the time uni actually started I knew a lot of people and didn't have to go through the "omg I'm all alone and don't know anybody" phase. People will post loads of photos that they could tag you in and it'll all be a nice memory for you to look back on. As for your family, there are settings on facebook that you can change so they don't see your posts etc.
Reply 3
yes you should thats what i did and i got informed about alot of the uni events happening
Reply 4
Original post by Novascope
I think it'll be good. I joined a lot of groups before I started university and got chatting to a lot of people. So by the time uni actually started I knew a lot of people and didn't have to go through the "omg I'm all alone and don't know anybody" phase. People will post loads of photos that they could tag you in and it'll all be a nice memory for you to look back on. As for your family, there are settings on facebook that you can change so they don't see your posts etc.

Thank you for replying 😁 I think I will make an account as it does make sense for me to get it because it will be easier to make friends etc
Reply 5
Original post by Sandra1
yes you should thats what i did and i got informed about alot of the uni events happening

I never thought about the uni events. I was worried about knowing no one when I started. Thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by North West
Hey guys, I'm looking to start university this year and I wanted to know whether I should make a Facebook account to join uni group chats to meet people who are doing the same course etc... I do have other social media such as Instagram, Twitter and snapchat. I don't know whether I should make an account, the only thing that is putting me off is family because they're really nosey and i won't really be using it to post anything. What should I do? I know that if I block them they'll ask me about it and will make a fuss over it. Any help is appreciated 💕

A lot of societies use Facebook to organise events and stuff so you could make one just in case you need to join such a FB group . You can add your flatmates on there but doesn't mean you have to message them all the time like a lot of people have FB but don't even go on their account lok

Quick Reply

Latest