The Student Room Group

Which university should I go to for a Mathematics Degree?

This year I took maths, further maths and additional further maths. I am pretty confident I got A*A*B. Really wanted to go to Edinburgh but my offer is A*AA so I don't think Ill be going there. What universities should I look at?

Scroll to see replies

Where do you want to live for the next 3-4 years and have you looked at the modules offered by each uni?
Original post by Religion
This year I took maths, further maths and additional further maths. I am pretty confident I got A*A*B. Really wanted to go to Edinburgh but my offer is A*AA so I don't think Ill be going there. What universities should I look at?

Won't they be a bit flexible since you got another A*?

Are you asking about clearing or for next year (with/without resits?)
Dropping one grade may be okay - and you may have done far better than you think anyway. So, dont get too downhearted just yet, wait for Results Day and deal with whatever happens then - lots of advice about 'what can happen on Results Day' here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15437-Guide-to-A-level-results-day

Hey, you are rocking those A Levels out! A quick bash on the calculator says that you have achieved the same number of UCAS points as your offer, so it may be a question of how your offer is worded - does it specify grades in certain subjects, or a total of points across those subjects? It's a difficult situation to be in when your grades haven't been confirmed, so all you can do at the moment is keep an eye on UCAS and wait for results day. If you do want to start preemptively looking, here are a list of providers: http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?CountryCode=&RegionCode=&Lat=&Lng=&Feather=&Vac=2&AvailableIn=2016&Query=mathematics&ProviderQuery=&AcpId=&Location=&IsFeatherProcessed=True&SubjectCode=

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)
Reply 6
Original post by Tiger Rag
Where do you want to live for the next 3-4 years and have you looked at the modules offered by each uni?

I don't care where I live.
Reply 7
Original post by Shazen
Won't they be a bit flexible since you got another A*?

Probably not.
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
Are you asking about clearing or for next year (with/without resits?)

Clearing.
Probably not.

Oh I thought they wouldn't mind that

You might well be ok with those results or even A*AB.

If clearing becomes a reality and you want to go down that route you should have plenty of choice at 'good' universities. Last year the following and many others were in clearing for G100 Maths: Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, King's, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, QMUL, Sheffield, Southampton, Surrey, Sussex and York.
Original post by ageshallnot
You might well be ok with those results or even A*AB.

If clearing becomes a reality and you want to go down that route you should have plenty of choice at 'good' universities. Last year the following and many others were in clearing for G100 Maths: Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, King's, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, QMUL, Sheffield, Southampton, Surrey, Sussex and York.

Hey where did you get that list from? Do you know if there is any sort of list that states what grades uni's accepted in clearing? :smile:
Original post by Katiee224
Hey where did you get that list from? Do you know if there is any sort of list that states what grades uni's accepted in clearing? :smile:

Last year's Daily Telegraph supplement. Grades aren't listed, unfortunately, but tend to be the standard entry requirements or a little below. They can also change over the clearing period according to supply and demand.
Original post by ageshallnot
Last year's Daily Telegraph supplement. Grades aren't listed, unfortunately, but tend to be the standard entry requirements or a little below. They can also change over the clearing period according to supply and demand.

ah okie thanks :smile:
Reply 14
ah okie thanks :smile:

What grades do you think you got?
What grades do you think you got?

AAC in maths, further maths and product design respectively
Reply 16
AAC in maths, further maths and product design respectively

Which universities are you looking at?
A*A*B in Maths/Further/Additional Further? There's a very decent chance your spread of modules could be rearranged to obtain A*A*A.If not you may be able to ask your exam board and school to cash in the modules in a different order so as to obtain A*AA overall, thereby meeting your offer and it is worth discussing this with school and uni if this is a genuine concern.
Reply 18
Original post by DJMayes
A*A*B in Maths/Further/Additional Further? There's a very decent chance your spread of modules could be rearranged to obtain A*A*A.If not you may be able to ask your exam board and school to cash in the modules in a different order so as to obtain A*AA overall, thereby meeting your offer and it is worth discussing this with school and uni if this is a genuine concern.

No, I missed an exam this year. I don't think have enough UMS for the last A*.Also wouldn't they cash out the modules in the most optimal order?
(edited 7 years ago)
No, I missed an exam this year. I don't think have enough UMS for the last A*.Also wouldn't they cash out the modules in the most optimal order?

I think the ordering is as follows:

1) Obtain highest Maths grade
2) Rearrange/add to obtain highest FM grade without decreasing Maths
3) Rearrange/add to obtain highest AFM grade without decreasing Maths/FM

Thus in this case if there is an ordering which obtains A*A*B and one which obtains A*AA they would take the former but it is worth asking to manually cash in grades in order to obtain the latter and meet your offer, with your school and your uni.

Quick Reply

Latest