The Student Room Group

UKCAT and BMAT

Hi, If I am going to be starting my A-levels next year (September 2016) when do I have to take my BMAT and UKCAT tests if I want to be a doctor. Is it in the summer of 2017.
For A-levels I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths if that has any relevance.
Original post by confused_12
Hi, If I am going to be starting my A-levels next year (September 2016) when do I have to take my BMAT and UKCAT tests if I want to be a doctor. Is it in the summer of 2017.
For A-levels I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths if that has any relevance.

Youll do them next year. The UKCAT is done in the summer after Year 12 (you can choose the date you want to do it). The BMAT (presuming you choose to do it) is usually in November of Year 13.

Just as an aside, be careful about doing Further Maths. Not all Medical Schools accept it so your options will be limited a little.*

Hello Confused_12,

Yes, you would sit the BMAT and UKCAT tests in 2017 (for 2018 entry). Thus, in your AS year, your focus should be on securing excellent AS grades (if you have exams), arranging work experience and voluntary work as well as conducting extra reading.

You should also check out this blog entry which serves as an introduction to how to apply for Medicine. For more information on the UKCAT & BMAT, check out our UKCAT information centre and BMAT information centre.

Hope that helps!

UniAdmissions

Hello,

As other people have written above, you take your UKCAT and BMAT tests after you finished year 12 or lower 6th.

More specifically, you'll sit the UKCAT between the start of July and the start of October.

Then, you'll sit the BMAT around the start of November (i.e. when you're actually studying in your final A level year).

Because the two tests are taken at different times, it means you can apply strategically. We suggest applying to 2 or 3 UKCAT universities and 2 or 1 BMAT universities respectively. This is because in general, applicants find the UKCAT less hard than the BMAT. It also means that if you don't do as well as you had hoped in the UKCAT over the summer, you can revise up until November to ensure you ace the BMAT instead!

For your A levels, universities nearly always require AAA or higher. However, if further maths is one of your three A levels, then many universities won't accept it. We've got a Medical School comparison tool, where you can see all of the required subjects for each UK med school.

Hope the above helps!

The Medic Portal
Loved your comparison tool. Is it fully updated?
Original post by UKCATrocks
Loved your comparison tool. Is it fully updated?

There are mistakes in it. Some of the info does not actually match what appears on the individual unis websites.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending