The Student Room Group

Britain's FTSE index hits 10-mo high despite Brexit hysteria

London's FTSE 100 rose for a fourth straight session on Friday to reach its highest level since last summer, recovering from the initial negative impact caused by the UK’s vote to leave the EU in a referendum last week.

The index was up 0.34 percent, reaching 6,527 points at 10:00am GMT. As the voting results came in last Friday, the FTSE fell more than eight percent during early trading, but recovered to close three percent in the red.

After another losing session on Monday, the market took a dramatic upturn, and the FTSE is now on track for its biggest weekly gain since December 2011.

Read More:
https://www.rt.com/business/349113-ftse-jumps-despite-brexit/
Reply 1
ftse 100 involves international companies that can reduce risk easily and mainly trade other currencies not the pound. Hence it is a bad indicator.

ftse 250 has not been doing well and it is a far better indicator.
Original post by datboii
ftse 100 involves international companies that can reduce risk easily and mainly trade other currencies not the pound. Hence it is a bad indicator.

ftse 250 has not been doing well and it is a far better indicator.

This is widely asserted - how true is it? JPMorgan Emerging Markets Investment Trust (FTSE 250) probably doesn't have more UK exposure than Next (FTSE 100).

Maybe there is a skew when you look at all companies - but I don't trust journalists and haven't seen numbers.
Reply 3
Original post by Observatory
This is widely asserted - how true is it? JPMorgan Emerging Markets Investment Trust (FTSE 250) probably doesn't have more UK exposure than Next (FTSE 100).

Maybe there is a skew when you look at all companies - but I don't trust journalists and haven't seen numbers.

Neither of them are going to be perfect. Simply using one number to judge an economy's health isn't going to cut the mustard really.
Reply 4
Its still not increasing the exchange rates though...
Reply 5

Well the newspapers have reported this so im simply saying what they said to you. Having seen it in multiple articles i think its pretty true.

But technically because FTSE 250 encompasses more companies it would be better. But like the other person said neither is perfect. But on a larger scale the markets have been erratic
Original post by datboii
Well the newspapers have reported this so im simply saying what they said to you. Having seen it in multiple articles i think its pretty true.
I disagree. I find journalists very unreliable sources of technical information.
Berluddy nora - We should Brexit every week and become richh
Reply 8
I disagree. I find journalists very unreliable sources of technical information.

Whatever. You cant exactly deny the facts though. Journalists dont just pluck the raw facts out of the air even if they qualitatively manipulate something
Original post by datboii
Whatever. You cant exactly deny the facts though. Journalists dont just pluck the raw facts out of the air even if they qualitatively manipulate something

I don't think the journalists do any quantitative analysis at all; manipulating quantitative analysis is well beyond their competence. They report third hand descriptions.
Reply 10
Strong username :yep: HSBC and Barclays have also said they're staying:
http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-fallout-hsbc-and-barclays-pledge-to-remain-in-the-uk-2016-7
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Berluddy nora - We should Brexit every week and become richh

[video="youtube;sEoIuqS6CNU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEoIuqS6CNU[/video]
Reply 11
I don't think the journalists do any quantitative analysis at all; manipulating quantitative analysis is well beyond their competence. They report third hand descriptions.

you cant manipulate the FTSE. You can check the FTSE website which also supports my statement.
Original post by datboii
you cant manipulate the FTSE. You can check the FTSE website which also supports my statement.

Please show your working.
Reply 13
Please show your working.

google is your friend
Reply 14
Wait until Article 50 is evoked.
Original post by datboii
google is your friend

You made the claim, you have to prove it, not me.
Reply 16
You made the claim, you have to prove it, not me.

As you wish: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=FTSE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending